Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #1

K5 - disappointly soft AF

I bought a new K5 in Jan after much researching and thinking. I was in two minds as to whether to go for the K5 or EOS 7D, but eventually went for the former with an 18-135mm lens kit.

Now I am not so sure I made a good decision. I find that a disappointingly high number of my shots are out of focus.

A couple of egs.

1. I take a flash photo on green mode, in the evening in low light conditions (with AF illuminator on) of my family sitting on the sofa 5m away... completely out of focus, despite the camera being in AF mode and making the beep before shutter release.

Name:  IMGP0265.JPG
Views: 1477
Size:  489.8 KB

2. I go into the forest with my daughter on a bright day - lovely light conditions. I am using the camera on shutter priority - 1/360, AF, F10, anti-shake, single point focus, ISO 200. She is moving about quite a bit - at about 4-5 metres away - lens at mid zoom. Camera beeps that it is in focus, but again, many of the shots are very soft focus, or simply out of focus. Here is a cropped photo - I hope it shows the lack of sharpness I am experiencing.

Name:  IMGP1534crop.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  126.5 KB

These are just illustrative - I have many more. I also do have lots of sharp photos... just a disappointingly high number of soft ones that I feel should be right. This is the same case with my 55-300mm lens, so I don't think it is a faulty lens.

Should such an expensive camera be producing a high volume of soft shots? Or is faulty? Or is it me? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Robin

04-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #2

The first shot might be a case of low light front focusing.

This has been a problem with many units, I sent my first k5 back because of it. (replacement should be on the way any day now)

A tip I found here on the forums is to try using the live view AF. It often works perfectly when the viewfinder AF fails.

If you haven't tried updating the firmware to 1.03 yet, that would be the first suggestion. If it still won't focus right, return it for a replacement unit.
04-27-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Based on the first image, looks like there is a FF issue as the focus seem to be on the glasses on the coffee table. Have you tried to use the micro-adjustment on the camera menu to correct this?
04-27-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Based on the first image, looks like there is a FF issue as the focus seem to be on the glasses on the coffee table. Have you tried to use the micro-adjustment on the camera menu to correct this?
If it was in "green mode", as the OP said, it would likely be in 11-point AF mode. As such, it's possible that the K-5 intentionally focused on the coffee table as it was the closest object within the 11 AF points. Probably best to select the focus point yourself, or stick to center point focus only for now.

Last edited by dgaies; 04-27-2011 at 01:53 PM.
04-27-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

The table looks sharp in the first photo.

I guess that you have let the camera decide where to place the focus point and it picked the table.

I suggest you use the center focus point only (turning the switch on the camera back to that position), place the center point on the main subject, half press to focus and then recompose your shot before pressing the shutter all the way taking the picture.
04-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #6

EXIF show v1.01, update your firmware and do a fine adjust test with your lens first?
04-27-2011, 03:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The only thing I can say is try switching the shake reduction off. At 1/360 you will not need it anyways.

In the second photo, if SR did not get time to stabilize, it may induce some blur.

cheers,

Abhi

04-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd update the firmware(as OmegaKulu mentioned) and then see how thinks look afterward.
Other than that, I'd say those shots are pretty bad too.
But again... try the FW first and see how things look first.

Aside from that, I can't think of any reason why your images would look like this as they most certainly aren't remenicent of the usual K-5 output.
04-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Something is wrong....you or the camera. I can't know which, but if you were me I would know instantly that it was somehow my fault. Read the Manual, I know, I hate those damn things, but it is amazing what you can learn in there.....I intend to read it myself when I get time.....

After that, come back and tell us what you find and if you still have problems, people here will help you, most all of us have problems at some point or another.
Best Regards!
04-27-2011, 09:20 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Test to see if it was user error by eliminating some of the user factors that get in the way.
Try:
- centre point focus on a *static* subject (not your kids) on a decently bright day
- shutter speed is at least 1/100 with the kit lens (18-55) or at least 1/(focal length) for other lenses
- set aperture to f/8 and avoid ISO over 400
- holding the camera as still as your hands will allow (or if you don't have steady hands, use a tripod - seriously)

Then see what you get.
04-28-2011, 02:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I see

image 1 camera is focused on the table there are two possible causes for this .
a. camera is FF badly in tungsten light = update FW to 1.03 Digital Cameras and Accessories - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
b. Camera has selected the highest phase correctly and used the bottom sensor to achieve lock (candle base) = used single point af.

image 2

The crop has all data removed and we cannot see where the child is in relationship to the surroundings.
Its impossible to reach any conclusion as aperture . speed and position data is al missing.
Some suggestions

1 DoF check deep enough to cover subject
2 single point AF
3 shutter speed high enough to remove any blur
4 fill flash to remove shadow cast
04-28-2011, 03:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
I see

image 1 camera is focused on the table there are two possible causes for this .
a. camera is FF badly in tungsten light = update FW to 1.03 Digital Cameras and Accessories - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
b. Camera has selected the highest phase correctly and used the bottom sensor to achieve lock (candle base) = used single point af.
Or the camera was in 11-point AF mode and the camera intentionally focused on the table by selecting the bottom most AF-point. For a shot like that, letting the camera select the AF point is generally not a good idea.
04-28-2011, 06:07 AM   #13

Hi, using Photome I see that:
a) the camera uses central focus point, focused on baby's arm
b) the shutter release half press time is 4.25s. This is the time between the half press (and focusing) and shutter release

So, according to this long time between a) and b), maybe you moved between the focus locked on baby and the shutter released?
Attached Images

04-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #14

Original Poster
Dear All,

Thank you so much for all the comments. That is very kind. I will take all of them on board... updating the software as we speak, and yes, I must read the manual... I started in earnest when I bought the camera, but have a constant pile of reading to do with my job so it is always hard to justify...

Great to know there is such a good community of support on this website.

Cheers to all

Robin
04-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #15
bxf
Veteran Member

Having previously posted my own complaints, similar to yours, I will repeat the advice given above by two others, just for emphasis: if you haven't already done so, perform AF fine adjustment! You will be surprised by the improvement.