Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #1

Easy Question - Raw/Fx button

This is probably a stupid question, but I can't seem to figure it out myself.

I want the Raw/Fx button to simply change the file format between JPEG and RAW. But I only seem to have the option of "JPEG to RAW+JPEG" or "RAW to RAW+JPEG"
I don't want to use RAW+!
How do I do this?

Why do people use RAW+ anyway?

Thanks

04-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
Forum Member

People us RAW+ because they like the flexibility of having both RAW and jpg. You may have some shots that doesn't require any PP so they can just use the jpg straight out of the camera. In some shots with high noise or others that require other fixes, they can process the RAW image for better pictures.
04-27-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Custom menu, page 5, button customisiation

Set raw/fx button to cycle between raw and Jpeg. You can have three settings depending on which format you start from. raw, raw+ or Jpeg. If you never want to use raw + just set all three options to raw - jpeg.

cheers!
04-28-2011, 12:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
raw+ is better because memory cards are cheap and its much easier just to shoot both right away and have the ease of use of jpg and the power of raw if you need it without having to remember to swap..

i actually shoot raw+ jpg at 2mp so i have TV sized jpg's ready to roll and the raw there if the photo is a keeper.

04-28-2011, 06:07 AM   #5
Forum Member

None of the replies so far address the issue I have, which may be your issue as well. I normally shoot in raw, but would like the ability to quickly and temporarily switch to jpg using the raw/Fx button. There does not appear to be a menu option for this. You can go from jpg to raw, but if you are shooting in raw, the button can't be programmed to switch to jpg. Am I missing something?

I have set up the User modes so that User 1 is my normal raw shooting mode and User 2 is the same setup but in jpg. But it would easier if the raw/fx button to switch to jpg. I know that I can use the Info menu to switch, but the button is quicker - seems like an easy firmware fix.
04-28-2011, 06:21 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hey Bob,
I've figured it out myself, and now hopefully I can help you.

First of all, do as Wizofoz says...
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Custom menu, page 5, button customisiation
Except its not custom menu, its page 5 of Camera menu.

Go to Raw/fx button, set it to RAW - One push file format
Under that, you will have 3 settings

JPEG -> ?
RAW -> ?
RAW+ -> ?

This means, if you are on JPEG mode, the RAW/fx button will change to whatever you specify in the first menu. If you are on RAW mode, you can set the second menu to go to either RAW+ or JPEG.

Does this make sense? It didnt to me until I played with it. Have a go yourself.
04-28-2011, 08:14 AM   #7
Forum Member

Brilliant! I didn't realize that other sub-selections were available. That's just what I was looking for.

Thanks,
Bob