Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Videos of water-testing the k-5, I have seen, do not include repeated zooming of the lens. Therein, I fear, lies the problem.

05-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It sounds to me more of an issue with the memory card door. Did you ever open it? Was there any dust or gunk around the sealing rubber and plastic of the body where the two touch? I don't see how water from the lens area could get back to the LCD screen.
05-02-2011, 07:40 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
It sounds to me more of an issue with the memory card door. Did you ever open it? Was there any dust or gunk around the sealing rubber and plastic of the body where the two touch? I don't see how water from the lens area could get back to the LCD screen.
One reason why I liked the K10/K20 SD doors is you couldn't accidentally open them.
05-02-2011, 07:47 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
Videos of water-testing the k-5, I have seen, do not include repeated zooming of the lens. Therein, I fear, lies the problem.
Agreed. Here is my contribution to the water torture videos. But again, no zooming.

05-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #35

I was talking to a person who does repairs of Pentax cameras for PENTAX. He also handles warranty issues. He was telling me that Pentax is not made for shooting under rain. The pressure of constant rain is too high and eventually sth will get into the camera.

Here is my question: For how long did you shoot under the rain?

So far I have only seen videos where people got their camera wet for a couple of seconds and it survived. I never saw anybody actually shoot in rain for like half an hour and constantly getting his camera soaked from all angles.

Has anybody done that successfully?
05-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
zooming a lens would not suck water into the body, only into the lens. (i would think)
05-02-2011, 11:15 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jani80k Quote
So far I have only seen videos where people got their camera wet for a couple of seconds and it survived. I never saw anybody actually shoot in rain for like half an hour and constantly getting his camera soaked from all angles.

I have several times, for more than 30 minutes at a time in both rain and snow, with both the 18-135 (zooming constantly and getting the inner barrels soaked) and the DFA 100 WR. Never had any problem or seen anything make it into my lenses or body.

Though I should note that the memory card door does definitely seem to be a weak spot. The plastic bit is not sealed at all: water gets into it immediately when I tested it. Only the small rubber bit covering the card itself is sealed, so water can build up around it. If it's loosened up, shifted, or the door is opened with water still underneath, it will be breached. I would strongly urge Pentax to redesign it in the K-3 (replace it with a full rubber seal like the other ports).

Last edited by Cannikin; 05-02-2011 at 11:56 PM.
05-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #38
Inactive Account

Turhuuden rajamailla koko homma.
05-02-2011, 11:55 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
I have several times, for more than 30 minutes at a time in both rain and snow, with both the 18-135 (zooming constantly and getting the inner barrels soaked) and the DFA 100 WR. Never had any problem or seen anything make it into my lenses or body.

Though I should note that the memory card door does definitely seem to be a weak spot. The plastic bit is not sealed at all: water gets into it immediately when I tested it. Only the rubber bit covering the card itself is sealed, so water can build up around it. If it's loosened up, shifted, or the door is opened with water still underneath, it will be breached. I would strongly urge Pentax to redesign it in the K-3 (replace it with a full rubber seal like the other ports).
Or like the K10D/K20D!
05-03-2011, 02:00 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
It sounds to me more of an issue with the memory card door. ... I don't see how water from the lens area could get back to the LCD screen.
I'd also suspect the memory card door.

I never saw anybody actually shoot in rain for like half an hour and constantly getting his camera soaked from all angles.

Yes, I did it. I was shooting for approx 40 mins in the rain with my K-5 + DA* 16-50. I did a fair amount of zooming with the 16-50, though I regularly wiped the extending barrels with a paper tissue when there was enough water on them.
05-03-2011, 03:08 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Would be interesting to know what Pentax service offers in this situation.
05-03-2011, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
Forget your hair... that desktop needs to be managed!

I am jumping into this a little late, but here goes.

FAMOUS MESSY DESK PEOPLE
Albert Einstein

Abraham Lincoln

Sigmund Freud

Malcolm Forbes
And a quote:

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, then what are we to think of an empty desk?” - Albert Einstein

05-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Yes, K7 ( no K5 yet) in pouring rain with 60-250 for an extended time. I was concerned about zooming how ever, tried to keep it to minimum.
05-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #44
Veteran Member

So what about this theory...

Obviously, when you zoom out an external zooming lens, the internal volume of that lens is increasing. So, if you put an 18-135 on a K-5, or whatever, the internal volume of air is a certain amount, then when you zoom that lens out, you are increasing the volume meaning that:

a) the package is so tightly sealed that it is not pulling in more air, and is therefore existing in a state of vacuum.

or

b) is has to pulling in air from somewhere to accommodate that extra volume, which it is pulling in through whatever sealing junction has the least resistance, and it the presence of water, also pulling in some water.

Just a thought. Think it holds any water?

Ba-dum, crash!

Cheers,

Ben
05-05-2011, 12:17 PM   #45
Banned

This is the first time ever hear of such a thing happening (well except for that idiot who used to wash his K-7 under running tap water). I spilled maple syrup on my K-7 once, and the buttons by the top LCD became all sticky and they wouldn't come back up when I pressed them. Dripping a bit of water from my bottle fixed the problem.

I've also been in torrential downpours, violent blizzards and all manner of dusty environments. Never had either my K-7 or K-5 experience any ills from it. So if it turns out the seals on your camera were installed wrong, then I'd say you're a really unlucky photographer

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
zooming a lens would not suck water into the body, only into the lens. (i would think)
Zooming the lens (ie. making it longer) causes a vacuum inside both the lens and the camera. Air gets sucked in, and water can get sucked in along with the air. I'm not aware where the vent holes are on the K-5, but I'd assume they're oriented towards the bottom somehow.