Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-05-2011, 12:19 PM   #46
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
So what about this theory...
Not so much a "theory" as a very well-known fact...

And no, the inside of the camera does not turn into a "vacuum" as long as the lens is extended. There is air transfer happening.

05-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote
Not so much a "theory" as a very well-known fact...

And no, the inside of the camera does not turn into a "vacuum" as long as the lens is extended. There is air transfer happening.
Ok, well, this was my first time thinking of it. I would say that this is most definitely at play. Can we, therefore, generally assume that external zoom lenses create a less weathersealed package than internal zoom lenses?
05-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #48
Banned

Ok, well, this was my first time thinking of it. I would say that this is most definitely at play. Can we, therefore, generally assume that external zoom lenses create a less weathersealed package than internal zoom lenses?
Again, depends on where the air transfer is happening. If you submerge your camera completely and then extend your lens while the camera is under water, you will get a vast quantity of water in your camera.

...and I will laugh at you and call you names.

On the other hand, if the air transfer is happening where water doesn't typically accumulate, then it should be a non-issue.

This is the mechanism by which dust and mold have gotten into lenses since the dawn of time. It's not limited to zoom lenses, even a prime lens that gets slightly longer as it focuses will draw air into itself (and consequently the camera body).

This is all pretty irrelevant, since there have been other extending lenses that are labeled as "weather resistant", and it's not been an issue before. The DA* 16-50mm extends while zooming. The DA* 60-250mm extends while zooming. The D-FA 100mm WR extends (a lot) while focusing.

This particular instance sounds to me like a defective weather seal in the camera body. So the whole point is moot.
05-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #49
Banned

By the way, there's a very easy way to tell where the air transfer is happening in a camera. Just fill it with smoke (cigarette smoke will do, but something more caustic would be great), attach an extended weather resistant lens, then retract it and see where the smoke comes out of. I volunteer Wheatfield to try this experiment with the most expensive camera body and WR lens he owns. Maybe he could try it with every camera body and lens he owns, just to be sure of the results. I'll happily provide some dyed ammonia gas for that purpose.

05-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to hear! I hope it turns out to be a warrantable repair! I haven't had my K-5 + 18-135 out in moderate/heavy rain yet, just some light sprinkling, no problems so far, I'm a bit skeptical about the hotshoe cover and SD card flap being sealed enough to just let wind and rain combo at the camera, just rain is minor, but that damn wind can push water past all sorts of little things.
05-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #51
Veteran Member

By the way, there's a very easy way to tell where the air transfer is happening in a camera. Just fill it with smoke (cigarette smoke will do, but something more caustic would be great), attach an extended weather resistant lens, then retract it and see where the smoke comes out of. I volunteer Wheatfield to try this experiment with the most expensive camera body and WR lens he owns. Maybe he could try it with every camera body and lens he owns, just to be sure of the results. I'll happily provide some dyed ammonia gas for that purpose.
I think Cheez Wiz would work best.
05-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

It's your stupid idea, why not do it yourself?

05-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #53
Banned

I think Cheez Wiz would work best.
That's true! What a great idea!

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It's your stupid idea, why not do it yourself?
Duh, because I volunteered you. This is your chance to actually contribute something useful back to the community, for once. I thought you'd jump at the chance. Your buddy at Pinocchio Pizza mentioned how badly you wanted to become useful.

Last edited by Hound Tooth; 05-08-2011 at 01:50 PM.
05-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter

That's true! What a great idea!

Duh, because I volunteered you. This is your chance to actually contribute something useful back to the community, for once. I thought you'd jump at the chance. Your buddy at Pinocchio mentioned how badly you wanted to become useful.
Wow, aren't we just being the disagreeable little man today.
I suspect I've contributed more to this community this year than you will manage in your entire lifetime of mean spirited bitchiness.
05-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #55
Banned

Wow, aren't we just being the disagreeable little man today.
Just today...?

I suspect I've contributed more to this community this year than you will manage in your entire lifetime of mean spirited bitchiness.
Right, right... I forgot what a local treasure you are around here.

Last edited by Hound Tooth; 05-08-2011 at 01:44 PM.
05-09-2011, 11:32 PM   #56
nah

I'm thinking it's more a bad seal than anything else. As a few of us have noticed, not all cameras are sealed the same as some have had dust get in under the LCD protector. If dust can get in, no doubt water can also.
05-11-2011, 12:49 AM   #57
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
sorry to hear this...mine k-5 was with me during tropical rains at Sri Lanka, dusty winds at Kerala, India, fogs in Crimea mountians in Ukraine - without any issue

i started to get some dust under LCD screen, but thats inevitable when using 18-55 zoom, or any similar

anyway, hope you`ll get your k5 back on track soon enough
05-11-2011, 01:47 AM   #58

Does pentax repair these sorts of things (for a fee) or is it only available under warranty?
05-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd love to hear an update from kiwibird...

Is Pentax fixing it under warranty?
05-12-2011, 06:38 AM   #60

Original Poster
Hello, drabbit,
It's been 2 weeks since I sent the camera to Pentax in Arizona for repair. I had called them initially describing the problem, and they told me to send it in, with proof of purchase. I had to pay for shipping and insurance. Since the camera was only 2 months old, I assume they are doing a warranty repair. I e-mailed C.R.I.S. asking about status, but haven't received any reply. Thanks for everyone's interest; hopefully, I'll have some good news to report in a couple more weeks.