Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-01-2011, 01:16 AM   #46
Veteran Member

After reading quite a lot about the so called sharpness issue of the K5, particularly with fast lenses, I was thinking about how things were in the pre-digital ages (I started professional photography for more than 20 years ago).
For 35 mm film, I had two systems, a kit with 2 Leica M5 with a Super Angulon 21 mm F 3.4, Summicron-M 35 mm (Canada), a Summicron 50 mm (7 elements) and a Tele-Elmarit 90 mm (Canada). The other kit is composed of 3 Pentax LX s and a bunch of nice prime lenses from 20 mm till 200 mm (I still use them!).
It always stroke me that all these lenses, wether they be of Leica or Pentax make, never ever really performed well wide open in-nor outdoors!
With the leica, I had the supreme rangefinder (systematically re-calibrated in Wetzlar) to focus and for the LX s I have several focusing screens and-finders, so I really had no reason to blame the focussing system.
As all these lenses where good, Leitz and Pentax, I should not feel reluctant to compare optical performance.
Particularly outdoors, the subject is so complex and 'wide' that it is sometimes impossible to relocate the spot on which was focussed when observing the results, printed or not. Take for instance a bunch of trees, who can recall on what exact point of that particular tree the focussing was done? And, the leaves are always in movement due to the slightest wind, even rising hot air can make the leaves move on wind still days, no fast shutter speed will help here.
And, a lens is never on its best wide open, less contrast, less saturation, less everything!
BTW, the same goes for my (gorgeous) Hasselblad kit, even Carl Zeis can't assure absolute performance wide open!

Forget the fastness of a lens and use it closed down for a few stops!
Fast lenses are meant to have a clear vision in the dark and generating cash for the lens-makers…

That neighbour of yours, the one with the K20, who always put his fast lens on F 3.5 is a wise man!

05-01-2011, 02:07 AM   #47
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
Oh, please, someone take this loony tunes up on his offer, so he'll finally zip it.
what a great contribution to the thread, just outstanding, you must be very intelligent man
05-01-2011, 02:17 AM   #48
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
Forget the fastness of a lens and use it closed down for a few stops!
Fast lenses are meant to have a clear vision in the dark and generating cash for the lens-makers…
oh i do close it down a bit, in general i'm very happy with pentax, i got well over 100K keepers from just last few years with pentax gear but seeing how old canon with f1.4 lens had no such problems at all this makes me bit mad, pentax gear is too good to be ruined by issue like this.
05-01-2011, 03:23 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OP..and any other discontented K5 owners.

my advise is to get a refund if possible. I returned my K5 due to inconsistent AF.... outdoors in bright light at wide angle ..and indoors in low light ....

Ive taken some really great photos with pentax gear..but AF was frustrating....so I bought a tried and tested body that has fantastic AF and have moved on....perhaps you should consider this as a solution ?

05-01-2011, 04:45 AM   #50
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Croc, please don't start calling people deluded if they're questioning your judgement. Regardless of your photography background, experience and skills, you can still make user error, since digital technology has added a few other quirks about cameras from film days.

Now given the benefit of the doubt, I'll reiterate that if you're not happy, just switch brands. It should not be any harder than returning the piece of junk that you have and exchanging it for a new camera that hopefully will live up to your expectations.

However, your demeanour hasn't been conducive of amicable discussion thus far and I'd stand by the vast majority of users here and otherwise that find the K-5 on the whole a very capable and significantly improved photographic tool from previous models - on par with the likes of the D7000 and the 5D.

My final word - the K-5 AF system doesn't need fixing, but it does (as with other camera AF systems) need continual improving...

Last edited by Ash; 05-01-2011 at 09:09 PM.
05-01-2011, 05:06 AM   #51
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Croc, please don't start calling people deluded if they're questioning your judgement. Regardless of your photography background, experience and skills, you can still make user error, since digital technology has added a few other quirks about cameras from film days.

Now given the benefit of the doubt, I'll reiterate that if you're not happy, just switch brands. It should not be any harder than returning the piece of junk that you have and exchanging it for a new camera that hopefully will live up to your expectations.

However, you've not given me (won't speak for others) a good first impression and I'd stand by the vast majority of users here and otherwise that find the K-5 on the whole a very capable and significantly improved photographic tool from previous models - on par with the likes of the D7000 and the 5D.

My final word - the K-5 AF system doesn't need fixing, but it does (as with other camera AF systems) need continual improving...

oh seriously, so far it was couple of people calling me things which i just ignored with small joke and NEVER did i call anyone anything in this thread
as for impressing you, who the hell are you that i should worry about impressing you? up yourself much?
as far i know this is pentax forum, i don't recall reading anywhere in rules that ONLY positive comments are welcome.....

so you can have your "final word" on AF and i can't because it doesn't agree with yours? stop drinking all that bad water in qld
05-01-2011, 05:08 AM   #52
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
OP..and any other discontented K5 owners.

my advise is to get a refund if possible. I returned my K5 due to inconsistent AF.... outdoors in bright light at wide angle ..and indoors in low light ....

Ive taken some really great photos with pentax gear..but AF was frustrating....so I bought a tried and tested body that has fantastic AF and have moved on....perhaps you should consider this as a solution ?
i'm not ready to jump away from pentax just yet but can i ask what camera did you get?

05-01-2011, 05:41 AM   #53

Hi Croc,

I posted on another forum that my FA* 300mm f2.8 seemed to be backfocusing on the K-5 and that I thought it was odd that I hadn't noticed it on any of my previous Pentax bodies. It's the only fast lens that I've really used in the conditions that you've described as most of my shooting is usually done much closer to the subject or in the studio.

Not saying I have the same issue but certainly worthy of more testing. We have rain forecast for the next few days so not sure when I'll get around to it.

Shot around 300 frames with it yesterday and I had to cull a noticeably much higher percentage of shots due to back focus.

bazz.
05-01-2011, 06:05 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Croc Quote
i'm not ready to jump away from pentax just yet but can i ask what camera did you get?

Nikon D300s..I bought it used from a ebay
05-01-2011, 06:11 AM   #55
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sir_bazz Quote
Hi Croc,

I posted on another forum that my FA* 300mm f2.8 seemed to be backfocusing on the K-5 and that I thought it was odd that I hadn't noticed it on any of my previous Pentax bodies. It's the only fast lens that I've really used in the conditions that you've described as most of my shooting is usually done much closer to the subject or in the studio.

Not saying I have the same issue but certainly worthy of more testing. We have rain forecast for the next few days so not sure when I'll get around to it.

Shot around 300 frames with it yesterday and I had to cull a noticeably much higher percentage of shots due to back focus.

bazz.
hi fellow ocau
i might take my k5 for sticky shutter to crk to get top cover replaced i know you near the city (i'm quite far outside of town, country vic almost) so maybe we could meet up when i go to crk for few quick tests but with current weather as you said it will be hard to make it happen , pm me here or on ocau if you up for it.
05-01-2011, 06:14 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote

However, you've not given me (won't speak for others) a good first impression and I'd stand by the vast majority of users here and otherwise that find the K-5 on the whole a very capable and significantly improved photographic tool from previous models - on par with the likes of the D7000 and the 5D.

yep Id agree with the last part...but for me..not the first....I wish my K5 hadnt had its AF quirks...because to be quite honest..I thought it was the best camera Id ever had....and as far as the handling goes..it was the best..and dumps on my Nikon...but for where it really matters to ME...the nikon is better..AF wise i mean....the Nikon's are just so unfriendly in their ergonomics
05-01-2011, 06:16 AM   #57
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
Nikon D300s..I bought it used from a ebay
thanks for that
it is what i was looking at myself but i figure i wait for next pentax body then i will buy it from shop that got good return policy and if im happy with it i will keep it (big savings) if not happy then of it goes for sale and at that time nikon should have new models out, D400 or D800 or whatever looks good at the time.
05-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #58
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Croc Quote
oh seriously, so far it was couple of people calling me things which i just ignored with small joke and NEVER did i call anyone anything in this thread
as for impressing you, who the hell are you that i should worry about impressing you? up yourself much?
as far i know this is pentax forum, i don't recall reading anywhere in rules that ONLY positive comments are welcome.....

so you can have your "final word" on AF and i can't because it doesn't agree with yours? stop drinking all that bad water in qld

Hmmm....Ash is just one of the most knowledgeable and respected members of this Forum. Known for his excellent critique and simple honesty, not wild emotional assumptions or irrational evaluations of others. So now you know who he is.......
Regards!
05-01-2011, 08:47 AM   #59
Inactive Account

Itselläni on tullut kuvattua jonkin verra K-5. Eka runko n. 1600 kuvaa ja toinen runko n. 2000 kuvaa. Ei minkään laisia AF ongelmia vaikka olen kuvannut Pentax tai Sigma linsseillä ja välillä käyttänyt 1.4x ja 2x telejatkettakin. Jos jostain etsisin vikosa, niin kyllähän se on omassa itsessä ollut.
05-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 30v iPentax Quote
Itselläni on tullut kuvattua jonkin verra K-5. Eka runko n. 1600 kuvaa ja toinen runko n. 2000 kuvaa. Ei minkään laisia AF ongelmia vaikka olen kuvannut Pentax tai Sigma linsseillä ja välillä käyttänyt 1.4x ja 2x telejatkettakin. Jos jostain etsisin vikosa, niin kyllähän se on omassa itsessä ollut.
You go, 30v!