QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
A new slogan for Pentax "We strive to stay focused"
How about...."Let the Fat Lady Sing, The K5 Has Arrived!"

Regards!

05-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Well considering that I can get two!! K-5s for the price of one D700, I would expect the D700 to have a few more features. But even tho it is twice the price of a K-5 it is NOT twice the camera. And...I can't use my 43mm f1.9 on it either.

NaCl(a deal breaker that last point)H2O
the price difference is a combination of a few elements, one being nikon are more expensive just cause they are Nikons......others that are more tangible are the best AF there is...a 35mm sensor..that in its self is where a lot of the extra money comes into it.

a D300s is what Id compare the pricing of a K5 to....it also has great AF..something Pentaxians would love to have ..not so sure about a D7000....most here see that as the direct competitor with the K5....after having a K5...id say just cause of the build quality alone its better than the D7000...and more D300s ish.

image quality of a k5 is better than a D300s..but not by much..it also has a 1-1.5 stop advantage in the High ISO..handy..but not vital

I must admit Im over camera bodies..and will never buy a new one again..they are a disposable item every 2-3 years...if not sooner ...im now just concentrating on quality lenses ...I must admit if Pentax had the lenses that I lust after..I might have stayed with the brand and fought my K5 issues...but I just cant get into short primes..and lusted after quality zooms..something Nikon excell at ......my next piece is a used 300mm F2.8

what can I say..im a middle aged man with zooms..thats stereotypical of a Canikon users..LMAO...its my fit.
05-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #123
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's fine Tommo.
Go with what you need and can get your hands on.
Pentax dSLR bodies are quality enough to last more than 2 years, unless you're some prolific shooter that reaches the 100,000 actuation mark by the end of the first couple of months...

There's no perfect fit, but there are better fits - and it worth going with a better fit than to satisfy brand loyalty.
05-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
That's fine Tommo.
Go with what you need and can get your hands on.
Pentax dSLR bodies are quality enough to last more than 2 years, unless you're some prolific shooter that reaches the 100,000 actuation mark by the end of the first couple of months...

There's no perfect fit, but there are better fits - and it worth going with a better fit than to satisfy brand loyalty.
well said

I didnt mean the camera will wear out...my thought was they get superseded real quick

they will be a time that we will be shooting at ISO 6400 and the files will be as clean as todays ISO 100....that what I was getting at....most bodies seem to be lasting two releases from what I can see....people with a K10 didn't get a k20 they got a K7-K5...
people with a K5 wont get a K3..but a K2 with clean 6400ISO will be a must have...

05-06-2011, 02:41 AM   #125

As mentioned in an earlier post, I shot a few hundred images last weekend with the FA* 300mm f2.8 and I'd estimate about 30% were backfocused like this one.

Maybe half of those were a little better than this sample but the shooting conditions were as described by the OP. Full sunlight, shallow dof and more than 6 feet to subject. I never had this problem on the K-7, or the K20D or the K10D.

bazz.
Attached Images

05-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #126
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
I must admit Im over camera bodies..and will never buy a new one again..they are a disposable item every 2-3 years
It's really easier to consider them today's "film". Instead of spending $200/yr on developing/printing costs, put the money towards your "get a new body/film fund". When you see new "film" (aka sensor) you like with the attached body, get it...

Sir bazz:
That example looks like pretty bad for the K5's AF system...30% BF? :-P
Have you tried exchanging K-5 bodies to see if your current body is defective?
05-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #127
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
It's really easier to consider them today's "film". Instead of spending $200/yr on developing/printing costs, put the money towards your "get a new body/film fund". When you see new "film" (aka sensor) you like with the attached body, get it...

Sir bazz:
$200/year? Wow, your film was CHEAP When I stopped shooting film it was easily $15-25 before you had prints or slides in hand, depending. And even at $10 that would only be 20 rolls. I think you're on the right track with a great plan, but under-projecting; I'll put back ~$750/year

05-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sir_bazz Quote
As mentioned in an earlier post, I shot a few hundred images last weekend with the FA* 300mm f2.8 and I'd estimate about 30% were backfocused like this one.

Maybe half of those were a little better than this sample but the shooting conditions were as described by the OP. Full sunlight, shallow dof and more than 6 feet to subject. I never had this problem on the K-7, or the K20D or the K10D.

bazz.
That's pretty bad, Bazz. I had the K20D and shot my daughter's soccer games with the DA*200, mostly at f/2.8 and I was amazed at how well it did. I'd miss some shots, but those were usually my misses.

I've shot a couple of games with the K5 and I haven't noticed any shots like yours (yet). I'm not saying mine doesn't have a problem, just that I haven't encountered it yet. I'm wondering if it's a camera/lens combo issue. Do all your lenses do what the 300/2.8 did?

It's really a shame people are having these problems as (like Rupert) I've found the K5 to be an amazing upgrade to the K20D, and I've been a K20D fanboy for a while.

It must be tied to the new sensors that Pentax added to the AF system to account for different lighting. That's new for the K5, right? Otherwise, why would the aF system start flaking out now when the K7 didn't seem to suffer from it?
05-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #129

It's on the the "to do" list My K-5 is one of the early models with stains and can be exchanged at any time. It's just that the stains haven't bothered me and it's not often that I shoot outside under conditions like above so was in no real hurry to have it replaced.
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I've shot a couple of games with the K5 and I haven't noticed any shots like yours (yet). I'm not saying mine doesn't have a problem, just that I haven't encountered it yet. I'm wondering if it's a camera/lens combo issue. Do all your lenses do what the 300/2.8 did?
My first thought was that it was a camera/lens combo issue so I setup micro AF adjustments for this lens, (first time I've had to do it), but still something not quite right.
I haven't noticed issues with any other lenses but that could be because I'm typically shooting indoors or shooting scapes with an ultra-wide, or even macros with MF.

It's quite possible that it's an issue with this body though, (rather than all K-5's), as it also seemed to be immune to the lowlight focus issues under earlier firmwares that many others were experiencing. Maybe the two are tied together?

In any case, I might test a few other fast primes this weekend if the sun comes out and there's also a replacement body there when I get around to it.
Just thought I'd add my experience to this thread as it appears to be similar to the OP's. Even moreso that we're both from the same town and may have received stock from the same shipment.

bazz.
05-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sir_bazz Quote
My first thought was that it was a camera/lens combo issue so I setup micro AF adjustments for this lens, (first time I've had to do it), but still something not quite right.
I haven't noticed issues with any other lenses but that could be because I'm typically shooting indoors or shooting scapes with an ultra-wide, or even macros with MF.

bazz.
I have found that certain lenses perform unreliably enough they can't be adjusted for, while other lenses I have perform quite reliably. It's really, really strange and inconsistent.

I didn't notice for a while because the lenses I use the most perform very well (with firmware 1.03). I may return mine to Pentax, but I dread the idea of being without it for so long
05-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
well said

I didnt mean the camera will wear out...my thought was they get superseded real quick

they will be a time that we will be shooting at ISO 6400 and the files will be as clean as todays ISO 100....that what I was getting at....most bodies seem to be lasting two releases from what I can see....people with a K10 didn't get a k20 they got a K7-K5...
people with a K5 wont get a K3..but a K2 with clean 6400ISO will be a must have...
I think it depends upon the spec of the next model. I had a K20D and no interest in a K-7 becuase the IQ wasn't any better. Of the K-3 offers no IQ better than the K-5 I doubt I'll get one. However if it does then I will.

I'd love ISO51200 on say a K-3, to have the same IQ as ISO6400 is on the K-5. Not impossible. That's a similar jump to the K-5 over K20D/K7
05-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #132
Veteran Member

yep I agree smeggy.....the lenses that you buy however ..if they are quality I doubt you'll ever sell or upgrade.....thats the path im heading up at the mo

at the moment I have my eyes set on a used low shutter count D700..if when ever comes up with a low enough price for me to consider it...it has about twice the high ISO headroom over the K5..{according to DXO}...so that will keep me happy for a long while....and Ill use my D300s for sports etc where the reach is desirable.... although a 20meg something D800 would cover both of those bodies with the 1.5 crop resolution equal to the pixel density of the D300s sensor ....but for now I reckon Im better off with two bodies that will do the job of one....at least thats my thinking at the mo...

one thing I miss is the damned fine handling of the K5,,everything was so easy to operate with that body and button placement was spot on.....with the Nikon gear you have to look at the camera to change the ISO...something I did with my pentax while still at my eye....its things like that where the K5/K7 shine......and the dynamic range of the K5 is a pleasure to be sure

anyway I digress....and its clear to me that this thread is showing a huge discrepancy between fully functioning K5's and faulty K5's......I still think that the faulty K5's are in the vast minority ....but none the less its something to ponder..the brand lost me due to its inconsistency and Id venture a few more will fall to the wayside before its over ......

im truly happy that some have been fortunate to get lenses and bodies that work well with each other....I keep coming back to the forum for a look....mainly cause im interested to see a positive outcome for K5 users...possibly with FW 1.04.....plus theres a good few decent members here , and to be honest..I dont give a toss what camera/brand we all shoot...first and foremost we are aspiring photographers and mutual support should be our first requirements
05-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #133
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
It must be tied to the new sensors that Pentax added to the AF system to account for different lighting. That's new for the K5, right? Otherwise, why would the aF system start flaking out now when the K7 didn't seem to suffer from it?
The different light sensors were added in the K7. That's why it's puzzling to me that the K-5 has this issue at all...ony thing I can think of is the sensor is using info directly off the sensor because the Sony one supposedly treats red differently. Felt to me like a hardware issue from all the reports, but I'd guess they worked around it w/ firmware.

QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
$200/year? Wow, your film was CHEAP When I stopped shooting film it was easily $15-25 before you had prints or slides in hand, depending. And even at $10 that would only be 20 rolls. I think you're on the right track with a great plan, but under-projecting; I'll put back ~$750/year
LOL...depends hugely on how much you shot. I clearly didn't do nearly enough compared to you.
If you are shooting that much a year, you definitely deserve a new body every 1-2 years
05-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #134
Veteran Member

LOL...depends hugely on how much you shot. I clearly didn't do nearly enough compared to you.
If you are shooting that much a year, you definitely deserve a new body every 1-2 years
Mmm... I had a T90; I wore one out, then bought another (which I still have). I plan on wearing out my K-5 in two or three years!
05-08-2011, 05:53 AM   #135
Veteran Member

Hi there! Since i bought k5 im taking a part in every "my k5 is faulty" thread.... isn't it symptomatic? I just discovered strange behavior with my wide angle zooms DA*16-50 DA17-70 and DA12-24. On the widest angle and distance over 1.5m AF seames to be totally incostistent sometimes it hit to the point but it happens 1 times per 10... the moste often front focus accures - no matter the light type and intensity. The strange thing is my DA14 works flawlesly.