Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #166

I'd love to do this, but screens seem so delicate - I've heard several times of people who have accidently marked the screen just by handling it. How is it possible to have a screen cut to size without marking it in some way?

11-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #167
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by karma mechanic Quote
I'd love to do this, but screens seem so delicate - I've heard several times of people who have accidently marked the screen just by handling it. How is it possible to have a screen cut to size without marking it in some way?
I would highly recommend getting one from focusingscreens.com. You don't have to bother with cutting it to size, it comes with shims and tweezers for installing it. Just handle it only by the tab, using the tweezers, and there is no possibility of damaging it. It really is quite simple.
11-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #168
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They don't seem to have any S type focusing screen left. I've been looking at the website several times for a week, but the stock remains at 0. Any idea how often they make them?

Last edited by PhilippeG; 11-13-2011 at 01:38 PM.
11-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #169
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PhilippeG Quote
They don't seem to have any S type focusing screen left. I've been looking at the website several times for a week, but the stock remains at 0. Any idea how often they make them?
Email them. They frequently show no stock, but if you email them they will usually tell you that they are, in fact, available.

11-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #170

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I would highly recommend getting one from focusingscreens.com. You don't have to bother with cutting it to size, it comes with shims and tweezers for installing it. Just handle it only by the tab, using the tweezers, and there is no possibility of damaging it. It really is quite simple.
Sounds like a plan.

Just need to fix the K-7 that I just killed
11-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #171
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Email them. They frequently show no stock, but if you email them they will usually tell you that they are, in fact, available.
I tried, twice, but didn't get any reply… The second time I even double checked I entered a valid email address
11-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #172
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I looked but don't see the answer to this.. is there an image file or drawing with the focusing screen for the k 5??? I'd like to print out a template that I can stick directly on the screen for cutting.
11-18-2011, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #173

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PhilippeG Quote
I recieved a mail from Deki Kuo (who runs Focusingscreen) where he tells me that the EE-s screens are short in availability from Japan (my guess is because of the tsumnami disaster). He only gets it in small, very small, batches so he has problems to keep up with demand, and is very sorry for this. Probably thanks to this thread he gets lots of mails with requests.
Just have patience and check his website regularly, and grab one when it is available. I'm very glad I checked his site just when he had one. One of the best investments I've done since buying my *istDS six years ago.

Kjell

11-20-2011, 12:11 AM   #174

QuoteOriginally posted by WWWench Quote
A sane method, is to create a DXF file in AutoCad or any 2d vector application. A trivial job using only offsets, lines and a radius entry.

Then take the DXF file to a laser cutter and they will hand you the K5/Canon ee-S screen, spotless with an edge better than original in a few minutes. CO2 cutters are all over the world, most common in fashion, shoes and as a service. I know there are several in southern France.
The kerf will be under 0.07 mm, and of course with the tab. If you hollow/trim the data file you can cut a shim set in the same way. You can buy a small book of staggered thickness plastic shim stock at any automobile or industrial supply very inexpensively.
Interesting idea WWWench. Do you have names/addresses for CO2 cutters in either the New York or Philadelphia area? Any idea of cost for this service?

Thanks.
11-20-2011, 09:06 AM   #175
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
I recieved a mail from Deki Kuo (who runs Focusingscreen) where he tells me that the EE-s screens are short in availability from Japan (my guess is because of the tsumnami disaster). He only gets it in small, very small, batches so he has problems to keep up with demand, and is very sorry for this.
Thank you for the feedback, good to know! It probably explains the lack of reply from Focusingscreens, but bad news is better than no feedback at all
11-22-2011, 07:03 AM   #176
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 screen dimensions?

I am looking for a drawing with exact dimensions for the K5/K7 screen to hand it and my EES screen to the laser cutting service of my choice.

Does anyone have one or knows, where to find it?

I am also thinking of including a rule of thirds grid while I am at it. Could that just be cut into the surface?

Cheers,
Torge
11-23-2011, 10:04 AM   #177
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like Focusingscreen got a few EE-S screens in stock now. I just ordered mine
11-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #178
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How did you get your order to go through. I have tried for the last 30 minutes and I keep getting this error that the shipping address is not correct from foucs screen.
11-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by montman Quote
How did you get your order to go through. I have tried for the last 30 minutes and I keep getting this error that the shipping address is not correct from foucs screen.
It was slow going, but I got through eventually. Deki Kuo says they expect the next shipment December 1st.
11-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #180

On the website it is still showing a quantity of 2 in stock. Be quick. I ordered mine this morning and did not have any issues and it was quick