Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2011, 02:21 PM   #181
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are you guys using paypal to order or something else? Casue neither of my two paypal accounts are excepting this.

11-23-2011, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #182
Site Supporter

I just ordered the screen and I also had the paypal problem so I retyped the shipping address even though it showed the correct address. Paypal then accepted the order.
11-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #183
Site Supporter

atlrob: Thanks for the heads up, I tried re-typing it like 4 different times and then just copying and pasting from paypal so it was exact. I have been trying to get this to go through since 8am and still can't get it to go. I have been waiting all my Pentax life for this focus screen.
11-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #184

montman: sorry to hear you are having problems. I didn't have any problems paying through paypal, didnt have to retype the address for example. In case you can't get it this time, email deki, and he will alert you when it is in stock next time. He said 1 Dec is the next date when more stock may be avialable in his alert email to me.

11-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #185
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by canne Quote
montman: sorry to hear you are having problems. I didn't have any problems paying through paypal, didnt have to retype the address for example. In case you can't get it this time, email deki, and he will alert you when it is in stock next time. He said 1 Dec is the next date when more stock may be avialable in his alert email to me.
Thanks canne: I had contacted him a week ago and just got the email early this morning that they had stock again and I have been working all day to get one. I am sure Deki will work it out, just looks like I will have to wait till Dec 1.
11-23-2011, 10:32 PM   #186
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Off topic a little but I finally got a reply from Deki and he advised me the only one available for order was the Ks. So I've gone the other way and ordered a KatzEye.
11-24-2011, 01:59 AM   #187
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mychael Quote
Off topic a little but I finally got a reply from Deki and he advised me the only one available for order was the Ks. So I've gone the other way and ordered a KatzEye.
Does the Katseye screen do what the Canon EE-S screen does?
11-24-2011, 02:12 AM   #188
Site Supporter

I'll let you know when I get it. Has not arrived yet, then I have to fit it.

11-24-2011, 07:34 AM   #189
Site Supporter

Sweet!! Deki got my order to go through! So excited, I have the S screen for my Canon and it's amazing can't wait to have it for my Pentax.
11-24-2011, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #190
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Does the Katseye screen do what the Canon EE-S screen does?
No, it doesn't. Sorry, Mychael, but the Katzeye is nowhere near as capable as the s-screen when it comes to MFing with fast lenses. It just can't discern the focus plane precisely enough with the really wide apertures.

I had the Katzeye first, and while it's much better than the stock screen, and I really like the idea of a split-screen, in execution is just plain doesn't do the job the s-screen does. Plus, the Katzeye will cause incorrect metering, the s-screen doesn't.

Don't mean to rain on your parade, Mychael, I'm just speaking from my experience.
11-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #191
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does anyone know if the Pentax K5 "S" type focusing screen from Focusingscreen.com perform similarly to the Canon Ee-S type? I previously used the Canon Eg-S on my 5D MKII and it was brilliant for manual focus.....I want that with my K5
11-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #192
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
Does anyone know if the Pentax K5 "S" type focusing screen from Focusingscreen.com perform similarly to the Canon Ee-S type? I previously used the Canon Eg-S on my 5D MKII and it was brilliant for manual focus.....I want that with my K5
It's the same one. They buy Canon screens and cut them to fit.
11-24-2011, 11:14 PM   #193
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
No, it doesn't. Sorry, Mychael, but the Katzeye is nowhere near as capable as the s-screen when it comes to MFing with fast lenses. It just can't discern the focus plane precisely enough with the really wide apertures.

I had the Katzeye first, and while it's much better than the stock screen, and I really like the idea of a split-screen, in execution is just plain doesn't do the job the s-screen does. Plus, the Katzeye will cause incorrect metering, the s-screen doesn't.

Don't mean to rain on your parade, Mychael, I'm just speaking from my experience.
That's Ok, I really did not have lots of choice as when focuising screens answered my email it was to say they had nothing in stock at the time anyway.
Not having anything to compare with anyway I might as well start with something. I 'can' focus alright with the stock screen as luckily I don't need glasses but I'm sure the aftermarket screens will be quicker and easier.
Question for you, you say you like the idea of a split screen but it does not work like a s-screen, do I take from this that an s-screen is not split screen style and if so then how do you use it for focusing manual lenses?

Last edited by Mychael; 11-25-2011 at 12:12 AM.
11-24-2011, 11:26 PM   #194
Pentaxian

I don't have one, so take this with a grain of salt. The stock screen sharpens when focus is reached; the S screen sharpens more definitely. I would imagine the mechanics are similar to the split screen; a bunch of small surfaces that amplify the mis focus.

He has a number of K5 options including some split screens. I picked up a FSB split screen from them. It didn't work with my slow lenses, with one of the splits going black. I now have faster long primes and intend to install it to see if it works. iirc it was around $50 or maybe a bit more. Nice quality, came with tools and shims.
11-24-2011, 11:27 PM   #195
Veteran Member

Mychael, This page on focusing screens compares how the different screens compare and show the out of focus and in focus areas:
Focusing Screen

By the way, I'm one of the lucky few that managed to get the ee-S screen. I've forgotten about it and suddenly received email from them, I bought the screen within minutes. I've purchased K3 screen from him before and it's good. But I want to have another screen without any focusing aids. Also I had to change shims with my focusing screen, not the easiest job, since my K5 was front focusing (or was it backfocusing)...