Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #256
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Dave,

I am just about to order that same screen.

Did you have to do any fine adjustment with shims, etc ... ?
I know zip-all about fidling in a camera ... !

Your reply would be appreciated.

JP
I ordered mine from focusing screen and did not have to use any shims, it fit perfectly and works wonderfully.

12-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #257

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I replaced original 0.35 shim with 0.25 plastic one recieved from Deki and now focus is spot on, had slight front focus before.
12-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #258
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by montman Quote
I ordered mine from focusing screen and did not have to use any shims, it fit perfectly and works wonderfully
Nice to know! Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by dave216 Quote
I replaced original 0.35 shim with 0.25 plastic one recieved from Deki and now focus is spot on, had slight front focus before.
I am surprised to see that you had to replace the original shim while montman (above post) didn't have to.
Maybe two different cameras?

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 12-09-2011 at 01:36 PM.
12-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #259

Mine was not properly calibrated from the begining, general QC issue

12-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #260
Site Supporter

Mine was not properly calibrated from the begining, general QC issue
I had the same problem. I noticed that my original screen wasn't properly adjusted, so it came as no surprise that I had to reshim the new screen (if that's even a word...).
12-09-2011, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #261
Pentaxian

I had to do exactly the same on my K-7. No big deal, swapping the shim is as easy as changing the screen, once you figure out the shim holding latch release. The Ee-s is much easier to manually focus with all lenses, the only drawback is that with slow lenses the field of view is noticeably darker. Also the bright focus point markings are much less distractive than the black lines of the stock screen.
12-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #262
Pentaxian

Anyone tried the ee-s with long lenses? I have a tamron 300 2.8, usually with a 1.4 tc. The stock one is very hard to get focus with the 300, you can't see where exactly the focus point is.
12-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #263
Site Supporter

Does AF work properly when installing a S Type focusing screen? Do the AF points work?

12-09-2011, 10:57 PM   #264
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by john43 Quote
Does AF work properly when installing a S Type focusing screen? Do the AF points work?
AF is not affected at all by the focus screen. The two have no connection. The screen is for your eyes only.
12-10-2011, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #265
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Anyone tried the ee-s with long lenses? I have a tamron 300 2.8, usually with a 1.4 tc. The stock one is very hard to get focus with the 300, you can't see where exactly the focus point is.
I've tried it with a 300mm f5.6 mirror lens. With the stock screen focus was hit-and-miss at times even with a magnifier fitted. With the ee-s manual focus is much easier. The only problem is that the field of view is darker with this screen on a f5.6 lens. With a f2.8/4 lens this will not be much of a problem.
12-10-2011, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #266
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I've used it with my Sigma 100-300/4 and it worked great, just as well as with shorter lenses. With a 1.4 TC, it was a tad darker, but still not a problem.
12-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #267
Pentaxian

Thanks for the long lens experiences. Ordered one a few moments ago.
12-15-2011, 06:59 AM   #268

Mine has arrived, and it took only moments to swap in.

I'm extremely pleased with the crispness of focus, and the engraved markings are much less intrusive than on the original, they are clear rather than black. A very pleasing effect.

Regarding focus accuracy, I tried it first without swapping the original shim. This resulted in about 15mm of front focus using the Samyang 84/1.4 at just over a metre. I switched to the supplied plastic shim and it is dead-on. By that I mean that if I focus with magnified Live View, take a shot, defocus and do it again carefully with visual focus I can't see a difference worth worrying about when viewed at 100%. Any focus errors in real use are mine and mine alone, but it does make it so much easier to reduce those errors.

One point to note - I had introduced some dust, so part-way through testing I dropped the screen and gave everything a good blow. With the new shim I'd initially suspected a very small back-focus, but after clicking it back up this disappeared. It would seem that at the tolerances involved here the act of clipping/unclipping the screen may make it seat ever-so-slightly differently each time. Now it is correct and has no dust I'll just leave it alone now, it is below the threshold where I can easily measure a discrepancy.

Highly recommended.
12-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #269

After spending 2 days reading through this thread and a few others (is this forum GREAT or what?!), I just ordered the Canon ee-S from Amazon for $48.49 including next-day shipping using my Amazon Prime account (there are 11 more available if anyone's interested). I have a K20D and just got a minty Super Tak S-M-C 50 1.4 and M42 adapter, so changing the screen now makes sense.

I've read the suggestions for how to cut the screen and don't think this will be an issue, but was wondering if the ee-S screen has a designated center area that is different than the rest of the screen. If so, I understand that when using the original screen as a template it would need to be centered. But if the Canon screen has no real center (like those screens that have crop marks, split prism, etc.), it seems as though the the original K20D screen can be aligned with the lower corner of the Canon screen so that only 2 sides need to be cut. Any thoughts?

Also wondering what can be used to unclip the original screen. I see on the focusingscreens website they include a couple of plastic tools with a little hook. I'm sure I can fins something, but if someone has a suggestion I'd appreciate it!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, I really learned alot!
12-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #270

QuoteOriginally posted by sakle2k Quote
Also wondering what can be used to unclip the original screen. I see on the focusingscreens website they include a couple of plastic tools with a little hook. I'm sure I can fins something, but if someone has a suggestion I'd appreciate it!
On my K5 I did it with my finger nail. It's easy. Not tools are really needed. Just be careful and don't touch the screen or the mirror.