Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #346
Veteran Member

Thanks but I'm pretty sure I've wrecked the screen now.. it has slipped out a few times and there appears to be scratches on it. A waste of $100 for me. I am off to the camera tech to pay for it.

There doesn't seem to be any instructions on removing Shims that I can see either.

PS: I can't even get the original screen back in either and I'm not going to push my luck further.

01-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #347
Pentaxian

To the right of the main clip there is a very small clip that holds the metal shim in place.
01-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #348
Veteran Member

cheers
01-04-2012, 05:40 AM   #349
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just got mine to be used with K-x. I don't have the necessary tools but plan to head out and find a glazier to do the work for me.

Anything I should take note of? Fingers on the screen, is that a no no or are all such problems solvable with some soap?

01-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #350
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
Just got mine to be used with K-x. I don't have the necessary tools but plan to head out and find a glazier to do the work for me.

Anything I should take note of? Fingers on the screen, is that a no no or are all such problems solvable with some soap?
Even fingers can scratch it if your skin is a little rough.
01-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #351

Received mine today (for my KM/K2000).

I
01-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #352
Pentaxian

No scratches but I'm left with some ugly splotches caused by the fluid from the compressed air can. I feared the cutting part the most but it was the easiest (bought some tools and did it myself). Calibrating it took too long and I got frustrated. It's working perfectly fine now but I can't be bothered to clean for at least next few day.

Is it amazing?Oh f***ing yes!!
01-05-2012, 03:22 AM   #353
Pentaxian

Hey.
I am a kind of lost in this thread. I have k5 with katzeye optibrite but would like to try out this.
Is this canon ee-s screen something I have to cut and adapt to k5 by myself or is there one that i can buy?
Can someone redirect me to a url/type to buy?

Thanks.

01-05-2012, 03:33 AM   #354

For precut screens: Focusing Screen

The last two selections: K-5 S TYPE Focusing Screen
01-05-2012, 03:52 AM   #355
Pentaxian

Thanks.
So this screen does not have a split, but acts like a live view right?
01-05-2012, 04:38 AM   #356
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
Thanks.
So this screen does not have a split, but acts like a live view right?
I suppose you could say that. Another way of saying it would be that it is like the stock screen except that you can actually see the DOF as it is with fast lenses while losing some brightness with slower ones.The first of these I can vouch for: it would seem to make a marked difference with the M50 1:1.4 and the Porst 55 1:1.2 I have tried, MF accuracy / consistency is improved. As for the second one it is what I have read here, I haven't tried it with slower lenses.

There are two version of the S-screen: plain and engraved with markings akin to the stock sceen. I have the latter, it does not have the center ring and also it would seem that the markings have been scaled up (are larger) than with the stock item (which is annoying but not too serious, I notice that I have grown accustomed to using the center ring for center point AF though, it would also seem useful with the spot meter).
01-05-2012, 05:06 AM   #357
Pentaxian

Thanks jolepp,
I found the zoom 10x live view difficult already. My eyes are not so good and mostly I need to depend on the split to be able to see in-focus area.
How do you like the screen for longer duration of use? Would you wish for a magnifying eyepiece when using this screen?
As for fast MF lenses (f1.4 and f1.2), it may be easy to focus at close distance, but how you like it at portrait distance? Example, 55/1.2, 1/2 portrait, wide open?

I can think of split screen is easier to spot in-focus in dim light. This screen is not like live l
View or EVF with electronic magnify.

Last edited by hoanpham; 01-05-2012 at 12:24 PM.
01-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #358
Pentaxian

I'm on K-x and do not how the K-5 screen is.
I replaced the default screen by a split screen from jinfinance but I do not have experience with other split screens.

With that said:
When I first changed I felt I had a new camera. Focusing was easier with the jinfinance screen and I was happy. As time went I realized the screen wasn't good enough for my expectations. It's top notch with high contrast stuff and if you focus on edges etc. and when you can spend enough time to focus. But with moving subjects, such as people, it was very tricky for me to get the focus tight.

I found the split portion to be a big obstacle when it came to focusing on people. I tried to use the surrounding are instead but it's not sufficient to get a clear view. After a while I started to take chances.

Now I'm on the ee-S screen. It's a huge improvement in every area I can think of. I can even see the focus point crawl as I turn the focusing ring. I've never been able to do this before.

I'd highly recommend the ee-S screen, but you need to be careful if you are going to cut it.

Edit: I was with a friend earlier and spend good amount of time with his D3000. I'm not sure where it's placed, but to me it feels like it's way below K-x. It made me feel very disappointed at the standard K-x focusingscreen. The one in the D3000 is much much better. Even better than the jinfinance screen I had, and I can see focus crawling on it too.
01-05-2012, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #359
Pentaxian

I can't compare it to a split screen, but compared to the stock screen it clearly shows focus and misfocus. The image becomes sharp and unsharp in the viewfinder as you turn the focus ring. You need to be able to see; I use it with the Pentax magnifying eyepiece. I had the experience on one shot where I could see the DOF definition on both ends as I went through the focus range. Lower contrast subjects are hard to focus no matter what you use, and in low light/with slower lenses the screen darkens a bit more than stock. Metering is consistent although a bit different than the stock screen; I went from typically -1/3 ev to +1/3 and + 2/3.

What is different from a split screen is that you have the benefit of a clear viewfinder. This may matter or not depending on your style and subjects, but for what I do I need to find subjects using the viewfinder and a split ring gets in the way of seeing.

There is no magic bullet, as with anything the best solution is a combination of compromises that will fit what you want to do. I'm finding that the ability to focus properly is showing up other flaws in my technique
01-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #360
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
How do you like the screen for longer duration of use? Would you wish for a magnifying eyepiece when using this screen?
As for fast MF lenses (f1.4 and f1.2), it may be easy to focus at close distance, but how you like it at portrait distance? Example, 55/1.2, 1/2 portrait, wide open?

I can think of split screen is easier to spot in-focus in dim light. This screen is not like live live or EVF with electronic magnify.
My experience with the ee-s screen so far is limited, it just made it here before Christmas. also I think I need a 0.30 or a 0.35 shim for it to be as close to spot on as one can get it. An advantage to a split prism screen would seem to be that I can compose freely. I have previously tried a jinfinance screen as well and the experience is similar to what Zafar says above. Kind of akward with people, in particular if you want to focus on they eye(s) on a portrait-kind-of distance with shallow DOF (inside, lowish daylight / artificial light where the lure of fast lenses is not so much the DOF but making use of what light there is). Also, the matte surface of my jinfinance does not seem that good as such. Otoh the split prism + microprism collar has its merits in general use, with a subject with strong linear features (such as a lamppost ) MF is kind-of effortless (an element of nostalgy from film-era 'as a kid' is a factor as well )