Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2012, 08:08 AM   #406
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by QFish Quote
They do not actually want you to use MF lenses, they want you to buy more of new AFs.
Well of course they do. All their current lenses are AF. And that is what the market wants. Nonetheless, Pentax offers exceptional backwards compatibility with its older lenses. Don't fret, just get the screen from focusingcreen.com, make sure to get it shimmed properly, and enjoy using your fast MF lenses.

last summer i tried to rent a lens for the job and guess what not even a single shop here in New York cares pentax
Try CameraLensRental.com - Your online source for lens rentals and camera rentals next time. Haven't used them, but reviews have been positive.

03-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #407

it is funny, now every time i would like to buy something pentax it seems more expensive than from other companies.
03-18-2012, 08:48 AM   #408

thanks for the link ! i needed the lens next morning so i just went to b&h and bought one
03-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #409
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Do you work for Adorama?
If this works as discussed here I am on my way to Adorama ha.
No I do not work for Adorama. They will not have the ee-s focus screen but they are a heavily stocked Pentax dealer. The link beholder3 posted just above will get you an ee-s screen.

03-19-2012, 02:27 AM   #410
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by topace Quote
I did not however like the mounting tool.
I think they just supply the original canon gripper as a form of garbage disposal.
The steel tweezers they include are a little weird because they are super spikey, but they work perfectly, just grip the screen tab tight so the screen can't slide around.
I imagine you could just use the finger condoms to pinch the tab for handling without any tweezers/gripper tool at all.
03-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #411
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by danny_falin Quote
I've gone trough such drama for my ee-s screen, and finally tomorrow I will have it it was delayed, after the delay it was retained at customs, and customs is something that I don't want to deal with again for the rest of my life! can't wait to to put it in my lovely k-5 will share impression right away, I'm so angry with the stock focus screen, that if there is a positive difference, I'm pretty sure I will notice immediately.
Danny, you never posted your thoughts. What do you think of the screen?

I myself decided to pick up one of these screens thanks largely to this thread! (well a lot of frustration as well with manual focusing and the stock screen)

...kind of reminds me of how I was nudged by a now very famous thread to buy a DA15 a couple years ago...not that I have ever regretted that decision though!

I hope the S-type screen (ordered mine from focusingscreen.com) fills my needs for a good manual focus screen. I will definitely post some feedback on this thread with my thoughts.
03-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #412
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Arrvon Quote
I hope the S-type screen (ordered mine from focusingscreen.com) fills my needs for a good manual focus screen.
I'm sure that it will. Just watch out with slow auto lenses and with manual lenses in stop-down metering - it is a bit darker at f over 4 or 5.6 and will hence tend to under-expose by a stop or so in viewfinder metering unless you tweak the EV comp accordingly.
03-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #413
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Arrvon Quote
Danny, you never posted your thoughts. What do you think of the screen?

I myself decided to pick up one of these screens thanks largely to this thread! (well a lot of frustration as well with manual focusing and the stock screen)

...kind of reminds me of how I was nudged by a now very famous thread to buy a DA15 a couple years ago...not that I have ever regretted that decision though!

I hope the S-type screen (ordered mine from focusingscreen.com) fills my needs for a good manual focus screen. I will definitely post some feedback on this thread with my thoughts.
I have Pentax buddies in Singapore who have changed the screen to the S-type and they rave about it being better for manual focusing as you can see the bokeh being "formed" on the focusing screen itself.

I cannot attest to that as I have not replaced the screen to the S-type but intend to do so in the near future.

04-05-2012, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #414
Site Supporter

Wanted to post an update and share my thoughts on the S-Type screen from focusingscreens.com which is a genuine Canon ee-s screen that was cut down to fit my Pentax K7.

Shipment was fast as many others have mentioned which is always nice. The packaging was professional and more than adequate.

As for the install. It took me a while to feel comfortable working that close to the mirror and to figure out how the release latches and placement worked for the screen and shims. I cut a piece of paper into a triangle shape and just rested it between the focusing screen and the mirror to protect it a little.

The provided tweezers were adequate for the job but I in hindsight I think the best tool would be tweezers with wider prongs that would better grip the small tab on the focusing screen itself.

My first install went smoothly and I kept the original shim in. On my first install I noticed a lot of little fibers and dust on the focusing screen through the viewfinder. On all my subsequent installs I held the focusing screen up to a light and blew all the visible dust off with a giotto rocket blower which worked very well.

Testing the first try with the original shim I found that the focus was front focusing so I replaced the original metal shim with the supplied thicker 0.25 shim. The kit came with the 0.25 and three 0.15 shims. After testing the focus with just the 0.25 shim I found that I had just a bit of back focus.

I decided to try each combination of 0.15 shims to see what results it gave me. By this time I was comfortable enough working with the install and removal that it was only taking a few seconds to replace shims.

I found that, as expected, one 0.15 shim was giving me back focus, and three of them for a total of 0.45 was giving me front focus.

I settled on using two of the 0.15 shims for a total of 0.30mm. I found the focus to be very accurate. I would have liked to try 0.35mm just to be sure, but realistically, at f1.4 the DOF is just so thin I believe user error would be giving me more variation or difference than a 0.05mm shim change!

So after that long winded explanation, I want to highly recommend this screen! Its such a pleasure to focus with. Certainly a huge and noticeable improvement over the stock screen. Like many others have mentioned, I enjoy the cleanness of the screen over having focusing aids cluttering the view. My screen has the Pentax AF brackets engraved which I enjoy because they are very subtle yet provide nice indicators marking approximate rule of thirds areas. The focusinscreens.com engraving is very faint at lower apertures f1.4-f2.8 and then become increasingly noticeable. Unlike the original screen, the marks show up as light instead of dark lines which means you can see them easier when the viewfinder dims.

The single and only drawback one could argue for this focusing screen would be that it will be darker at the higher apertures (f4 and up). When I get home later I will try and post some viewfinder pics showing the difference.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. It serves as a great endorsement for this excellent focuins screen. I absolutely love this focusing screen. It does everything I need a focusing screen to do! I highly recommend anyone out there with manual lenses or who enjoys manual focusing to get this screen!
04-05-2012, 01:24 PM - 3 Likes   #415
Site Supporter

Here are some examples of the difference in general brightness between the ee-s screen and the stock Pentax screen. On the left is the stock screen and on the right. In order they are at f1.4, f2.8, f4, f5.6, and f8.

* I apologize for the poor quality but the photos were quickly taken with a Blackberry cell phone and cropped *

I wasn't able to control image ISO & noise so these photos should just be taken just as a general 'ball park'.
Attached Images

04-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #416
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great samples, Arrvon!
That how it feels, really : no real impact at f/1.4-2.8, then darkens quite a bit compared top the stock screen.
Below f/11, things even out between the two screen, though, with the ee-S screen being slightly better (IMO).
04-06-2012, 04:35 AM   #417

I ordered the S-Type screen without any markings for my K10D. When i looked, it wasn't available in the shop, but having read here that it can help to send an email to focusingscreens.com i did and voila they put 2 in the store.
It took about 10 days to get to me in Germany, and i paid around 77 Euros for the product and shipping via Paypal, and another 13 Euros to the postman for customs.
Installing it took some time, especially the shimming, but i did not find it difficult, at most it was challenging my patience. Before i was afraid i could harm my camera or the screen, but during the process i found the fear was unfounded, and that you couldn't do that much wrong as long as you are a bit carefull and not totally clumsy.
Now that the screen is installed, i'm really really happy. The change is subtle to the eye at first but makes all the difference in the field.
It is a joy to focus now with my FA77 at 1.8 or my manual Takumar 55 at 1.8. I also have the Pentax magnifiing eyepiece installed. Together they get pretty close to a nice large accurate viewfinder that i always wanted to have like those of a professional full format camera like the d3 or like in my analog camera.
i recommend very much.

Last edited by Alcazar; 04-06-2012 at 04:36 AM. Reason: put a thought in more precise words
04-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #418
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alcazar Quote
I ordered the S-Type screen without any markings for my K10D. When i looked, it wasn't available in the shop, but having read here that it can help to send an email to focusingscreens.com i did and voila they put 2 in the store.
It took about 10 days to get to me in Germany, and i paid around 77 Euros for the product and shipping via Paypal, and another 13 Euros to the postman for customs.
Installing it took some time, especially the shimming, but i did not find it difficult, at most it was challenging my patience. Before i was afraid i could harm my camera or the screen, but during the process i found the fear was unfounded, and that you couldn't do that much wrong as long as you are a bit carefull and not totally clumsy.
Now that the screen is installed, i'm really really happy. The change is subtle to the eye at first but makes all the difference in the field.
It is a joy to focus now with my FA77 at 1.8 or my manual Takumar 55 at 1.8. I also have the Pentax magnifiing eyepiece installed. Together they get pretty close to a nice large accurate viewfinder that i always wanted to have like those of a professional full format camera like the d3 or like in my analog camera.
i recommend very much.
A bit OT, but since you mentioned focusing with the 77, how often do you use MF over AF with that lens? I typically only shoot MF, but I'm considering the 77 due to its rendering.
04-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #419

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
A bit OT, but since you mentioned focusing with the 77, how often do you use MF over AF with that lens? I typically only shoot MF, but I'm considering the 77 due to its rendering.
Hey,
i always used AF before because i found the stock screen unsuitable for focusing manually... so it has nothing to do with the lens.
Now i only had the new screen for a week so i can't predict how much i will MF in the future, but in that week MF was great and accurate and i used it a lot. I like to MF anyway and the AF motor of the FA77 is loud which can be irritating to people being portraited.

So... it's a wonderful combo, i can only recommend.
04-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #420
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alcazar Quote
Hey,
i always used AF before because i found the stock screen unsuitable for focusing manually... so it has nothing to do with the lens.
Now i only had the new screen for a week so i can't predict how much i will MF in the future, but in that week MF was great and accurate and i used it a lot. I like to MF anyway and the AF motor of the FA77 is loud which can be irritating to people being portraited.

So... it's a wonderful combo, i can only recommend.
Sounds good. I hope to one day purchase the 77.

I just purchased my second Ee-S screen for my new K-5 (this time the version from focusingscreen.com). I wanted the AF frame to help with composition and locating AF points in the rare occasion that I use AF. I also (drumroll please) finally got through to Pentax USA parts, which is sending me a full set of 10 or so metal shims at different sizes for about $15 shipped, I'm hoping they will ease the shim nightmare.