Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 77 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #436

QuoteOriginally posted by RickyFromVegas Quote
This is great and all that until f/2.8. Past that point, the viewfinder gets noticeably dark. 4.7-5.6 tele lenses are pretty much shooting in low light settings.I almost have to rely on AF to save my day in low light settings.
I wonder if anyone could advise me. I'm looking to get a focusing screen to aid with manual focus. But I don't like the sound of the darkening at small apertures. Does anyone have an opinion on whether a split screen focusing screen be a better all round choice rather than the s-type?

05-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #437
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monk Quote
I wonder if anyone could advise me. I'm looking to get a focusing screen to aid with manual focus. But I don't like the sound of the darkening at small apertures. Does anyone have an opinion on whether a split screen focusing screen be a better all round choice rather than the s-type?
The advantages outweighs the disadvantages of Ee-S/S Type screen but maybe I'm saying this because most of my lenses are 2.8 and faster.

I first had a split screen from e-bay and later changed to Ee-S, and never felt the darkening was an issue.

The split screen however became an issue over time. I Photographed mostly motionless subjects for which it's brilliant, however as I began photographing people more and more, I realized the split screen (to me) was a big disadvantage. The surrounding area isn't sharp enough so you have to use the middle part, and trying to get a sharp image while have it cover a face of a person was tricky.

I'm very happy with Ee-S on my K-x and just few days ago ordered S Type (which is the same thing) for my K-5 as well. I don't feel like missing out on a single thing by not having a split screen.

If you plan on shooting at events or people in general then I highly recommend the S Type.

Last edited by Zafar Iqbal; 05-17-2012 at 12:16 PM.
05-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #438

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes ee-s is darker at small (past 4.5) apertures but its muuuch easier to nail focus whith it even in dark conditions and metering is also very consistent in difference to split screens which affect metering.
05-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #439
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The darkness is a function of what type of lens you will be using and what the maximum aperture opening is. If you are using a lens that automatically opens widest while focusing then you won't notice the darkness unless the max aperture is about 5.6 or less. What type of lens(es) are you planning to use?

BTW, I have heard that split screens affect metering. S-screens don't seem to. Personally I wouldn't want it affected.

Last edited by lammie200; 05-17-2012 at 12:36 PM.
05-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #440
Veteran Member

I had a Katzeye split screen on my *ist DS and I currently have the S-screen on my K-5. I prefer the S-screen because my point-of-focus is rarely dead-center of the frame, which is where the split screen is located. Before anyone says focus and recompose...this technique did not work well for me when the subject was not stationary or a thin DOF (wide aperture) was being used. Just my $0.02.
05-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #441

Thanks for all the opinions

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
The darkness is a function of what type of lens you will be using and what the maximum aperture opening is. If you are using a lens that automatically opens widest while focusing then you won't notice the darkness unless the max aperture is about 5.6 or less. What type of lens(es) are you planning to use?

BTW, I have heard that split screens affect metering. S-screens don't seem to. Personally I wouldn't want it affected.
Tend to shoot a lot of portraits with a scattering of other stuff. I do tend to try and shoot fairly wide open for portraits but also often find myself at F8 and higher for other types of shots too. That's why I was asking about an all round focusing screen.

I think I'm leaning towards the type S from what people are saying, as it's being able to focus better that is most important to me.
05-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #442
Veteran Member

Tend to shoot a lot of portraits with a scattering of other stuff. I do tend to try and shoot fairly wide open for portraits but also often find myself at F8 and higher for other types of shots too. That's why I was asking about an all round focusing screen.

I think I'm leaning towards the type S from what people are saying, as it's being able to focus better that is most important to me.
That doesn't matter if it's an auto lens as they stay wide open 'til you press the shutter.

05-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #443
Veteran Member

. I do tend to try and shoot fairly wide open for portraits but also often find myself at F8 and higher for other types of shots too. That's why I was asking about an all round focusing screen.
Doesn't matter what aperture you shoot, it's what is the widest aperture the lens is capabile of at the focal length.The e-SS screen is very dark for the kit lenses and the like, the f/3.5 to f/5.6 ish ones. So it's not good for 18-55, 55-300, 18-250, Bigma etc etc.
05-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #444
Veteran Member

Just to expand on what VisualDarkness wrote:

"Auto" for lenses can mean several things. It can mean autofocus, auto aperture or an "A" lens (can set the aperture from the camera without rotating the aperture ring), or the aperture will stay wide open and automatically change to the aperture that the aperture ring is set to once the shutter is released. Some lenses have all three of these features. Some have none. Most modern lenses (from the 70's onward) will at least have the last one. That is what is important as far as the darkness of the focusing screen goes.

For example, Let's say that you have an 85mm f1.8 lens that you want use as manual focus. You also want to set the aperture manually. Let's also say that it has the last feature described above. You want to set the aperture at f8 so you rotate the aperture ring accordingly. Now you look through the viewfinder and everything looks nice and bright. That is because you are looking through the lens as if it were set to f1.8. When you press the shutter the camera will allow the aperture to close to f8. There are still things to consider like if you are using an "A" lens or an "M" lens, and stop down metering. However, in general, if you have a lens with a maximum aperture of about f4 or greater (smaller number) you can see through an s-type screen fine.
05-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #445

Oh of course! I hadn't quite understood what was being said to me and I had forgotten about the aperture bring kept wide open while focusing. Thanks all for explaining that.

As a matter of fact, I came to this thread because my primary lens is (was) an M 50 1.4, and so I do actually have the aperture set physically when I'm focusing.

You may notice that there is a was in brackets. This is because I've just got my first autofocus lens! It's max aperture is 2.4. By the way autofocus is great!

So the s screen should be ok with the M lens at wider apertures but a bit dark stopped down. And I tend to use the M lens fairly wide open anyway.

Think I have a decision!
05-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #446
Veteran Member

Oh of course! I hadn't quite understood what was being said to me and I had forgotten about the aperture bring kept wide open while focusing. Thanks all for explaining that.

As a matter of fact, I came to this thread because my primary lens is (was) an M 50 1.4, and so I do actually have the aperture set physically when I'm focusing.

You may notice that there is a was in brackets. This is because I've just got my first autofocus lens! It's max aperture is 2.4. By the way autofocus is great!

So the s screen should be ok with the M lens at wider apertures but a bit dark stopped down. And I tend to use the M lens fairly wide open anyway.

Think I have a decision!
2.4 is perfect for the screen! Is it the 70mm limited or the DA35mm? I love the 70mm and would not say no to a 35mm.
05-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #447
Veteran Member

Think I have a decision!
Someone should correct me if I am wrong, but I think that K-mount M lenses still focus wide open. When you press the green button to meter and set the shutter speed and iso, the view finder will dim if you have the aperture ring set to f4 or smaller. Once you release the green button, the viewfinder should be bright as if set to f1.4. Focus and shoot!

I am sure you will like the s-screen. Let us know how it works out.
05-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #448
Pentaxian

I regularly shoot with my 2.8 300 + 140f tc, giving me f4. It is fine. In low light it darkens a bit, but it is no worse than the stock screen.

I think I said upthread that you don't buy this for slow lenses. You buy it so that you can focus accurately your fast lenses, and then the odd time you put on a kit lens it is ok.

It is helpful to remember what we are comparing it to. The stock screen darkens into blotches in low light. A split screen will go black on one half and screw up metering in low light. This one goes darker but doesn't lose sharpness.
05-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #449

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
2.4 is perfect for the screen! Is it the 70mm limited or the DA35mm? I love the 70mm and would not say no to a 35mm.
Yep, splashed out on the 70mm, I love that focal length and loving the quality of this glass!

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
Someone should correct me if I am wrong, but I think that K-mount M lenses still focus wide open. When you press the green button to meter and set the shutter speed and iso, the view finder will dim if you have the aperture ring set to f4 or smaller. Once you release the green button, the viewfinder should be bright as if set to f1.4. Focus and shoot!

I am sure you will like the s-screen. Let us know how it works out.
I will get my coat. Deary me, I am showing my inexperience! Yes, now that you say it, you are right! You have to press the green button to get the lens to stop down for metering. I'm getting confused with the setup on my previous camera (m43 with adapter).

Now, moving swiftly on, does anyone know if it's possible to get these in the UK or is buying from focusingscreen.com, then paying import duties and customs clearance fees the only option?
05-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #450
Veteran Member

I don't think anyone is saying f/4 lenses are too dark, it's once they get slower than f/4 it changes from a bit noticable to a nuisence. On balance it's postives outweigh this 1 negative (I only use slower than f/4 lenses for ~2% of my shots). However if someone had slow kit lenses + one fast manual fifty they wanted to use occasionally, I don't think it would be a good idea for them to swap to this screen.