Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2012, 04:43 AM   #451
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I don't think anyone is saying f/4 lenses are too dark, it's once they get slower than f/4 it changes from a bit noticable to a nuisence. On balance it's postives outweigh this 1 negative (I only use slower than f/4 lenses for ~2% of my shots). However if someone had slow kit lenses + one fast manual fifty they wanted to use occasionally, I don't think it would be a good idea for them to swap to this screen.
I feel that even with the kit lens at f5.6 I feel it's easier to focus than with the stock screen. The increased feel of depth of field and clearer view beats the somewhat brighter grainy "fingerprint" the stock screen turns into.

05-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #452
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I have the EE-S on my K5, and use primes almost exclusively. The slowest combo i use is the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 with its 2x TC, giving me a 140-400 f/5.6 lens. Still, this combination is very usable. I also use a 135mm f/2.8 takumar. I'm OK focusing with it stopped down to f/5.6, but any darker and I need to open up the diaphragm to focus. That said, the EE-S is AWESOME and very effective even for fast AF lens like the 3 amigos.
06-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #453
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will finally order this screen: Pentax (K7) "S" type.

and this is what is available from focusingscreen.com:
Focusing Screen
there are four different types of "S" type screen for the K7 and I am leaning toward the last two ... any thoughts on this?

I do NOT wan to have to do ANY fiddling apart from just installing the scree, that is why I am going with the already cut version.

Is this a fact that this particular Pentax K7(or K5) type S screen is simply a cut version of the Canon ee-S screen?

I will be using some fast lenses, including a Zeiss 85/1.4 and a Cosina 55/1.2
Anyone knows of the famous "focus shift" of the Zeiss can be solved, so to speak, with this screen ... as far as focusing properly that is?
The Zeiss performs well with LV, by the way.

Thanks for any feedback.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 06-13-2012 at 04:04 PM.
06-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #454
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I do NOT wan to have to do ANY fiddling apart from just installing the scree, that is why I am going with the already cut version.
When I installed one in my K-5 I had to change the shim, which was supplied with the new screen. Does that qualify as fiddling to you?

06-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #455
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by G_Money Quote
When I installed one in my K-5 I had to change the shim, which was supplied with the new screen. Does that qualify as fiddling to you?
So did I, I had to remove the metal shim and replace with the supplied red plastic one. No big deal even for me though.

As for focus shift, hmmm, well focusing is done wide open, but I guess with this screen if you know the amount of focus shift then you could compensate by deliberately BF or FF.
06-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #456
Site Supporter

As for focus shift, hmmm, well focusing is done wide open, but I guess with this screen if you know the amount of focus shift then you could compensate by deliberately BF or FF.
Or perhaps focus using the DOF preview.
06-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #457
Site Supporter

Yes of course any touching of the insides of a camera is "fiddling" to me!
But I think I could manage to change the shim if I gather enough courage to do it!

Thanks.

JP
06-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #458
Site Supporter

So did I, I had to remove the metal shim and replace with the supplied red plastic one. No big deal even for me though.

Same as twitch then.
So, I have to expect the shim to be replaced ... is this because the metal shim will not make the screen to fit or is it because it caused BF/FF ?

Focus shift ... yeah, a real PITB but once the focus is bang on, what a great rendering it produces.

Thanks,

JP

06-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #459
Site Supporter

Or perhaps focus using the DOF preview.
I didn't know about that trick!
So, you just focus via the DOF preview, really? Dumb question but it would be nice if it worked.
I'll go out right away a try that.

Thanks.

JP
06-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #460
Site Supporter

Can anyone comment on the type of screen which would be the best for manually focusing a Zeiss T*Planar 85/1.4 and/or a Cosina 55/1.2 from this list:

Focusing Screen

I plan to use the faster lenses (above) a lot but also, once in a while, "slower" lenses such as a DA*16-50/2.8.

JP
06-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #461
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Can anyone comment on the type of screen which would be the best for manually focusing a Zeiss T*Planar 85/1.4 and/or a Cosina 55/1.2 from this list:

Focusing Screen

I plan to use the faster lenses (above) a lot but also, once in a while, "slower" lenses such as a DA*16-50/2.8.

JP
I would get the K-7 S TYPE Focusing Screen (AF Frame) or the plain K-7 S TYPE Focusing Screen. Be aware (beware!) if you are going to use f/4 and slower lenses that (I find at least) the screen gets dark.

Yes I had to change out the stock metal shim due to BF or FF, I can't remember which, but it's because the S-type screen is a different thickness to the stock screen. The only "trick" is to be very careful with dust when doing the change, use a rocket blower on both sides of the shim and screen before inserting them.
06-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #462
Pentaxian

Yes I had to change out the stock metal shim due to BF or FF, I can't remember which, but it's because the S-type screen is a different thickness to the stock screen. The only "trick" is to be very careful with dust when doing the change, use a rocket blower on both sides of the shim and screen before inserting them.
So basically, what you do is:

(Thickness, stock screen)+(Thickness, stock shim) = (Thickness, new screen) + (Thickness, new shim)

And by using 6th grade algebra and calipers, you can get the required thickness of the new shim, correct?
06-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #463
Pentaxian

No, change only the focus screen first and test for ff or bf. Most people do find calibration is off and need to change shim.
06-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #464
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Agreed!

I would get the K-7 S TYPE Focusing Screen (AF Frame) or the plain K-7 S TYPE Focusing Screen. Be aware (beware!) if you are going to use f/4 and slower lenses that (I find at least) the screen gets dark.

i agree 100%
A clear screen is the nicest for composing but it can be a little tricky when using using AF for fast action.
The bathroom is the most dust-free place in my home.
06-13-2012, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #465
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The only "trick" is to be very careful with dust when doing the change, use a rocket blower on both sides of the shim and screen before inserting them.
Even this is not crucial - any trapped dog hairs and dust will not affect your shots, only continually bug you every time you look through the viewfinder. Until you get used to them. The other trick is realising that there is a separate release catch for the shim(s).