Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 77 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #466
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
No, change only the focus screen first and test for ff or bf. Most people do find calibration is off and need to change shim.
Gotcha...thanks

Only problem is that if I get this screen, I will be compelled to buy more fast manual focus lenses

06-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #467
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Only problem is that if I get this screen, I will be compelled to buy more fast manual focus lenses
That is absolutely correct. I just ordered my screen yesterday, then spent all of today fishing for 1.2 lenses.
My guess for the true cost of a good focusing screen would be between $1000-$1200.
06-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #468
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Gotcha...thanks

LOL, yes that's a danger. I've been eyeing off the Samyang 85/1.4 even though I have a FA77.

also as mentioned earlier, the shim has a separate release clip. I found I needed to use the clip to release the stock shim, but not insert the plastic shim as it has just enough flex to push it around the clip.
06-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #469
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
No, change only the focus screen first and test for ff or bf. Most people do find calibration is off and need to change shim.
Sorry I know you already answered this for me, but just for clarification...the process of swapping out the shim and focus screen is actually quick enough that it's not a big deal to do trial and error when it comes to testing and re-installing?

Thanks

06-14-2012, 11:25 PM   #470

Photos: Albums
If you get the screen from focusingscreens.com, replace the original pentax shim with the supplied one right away. It worked from me and almost all other posts I've read about it seem to agree. It's really very easy to do. No worries!
Your only problem is dust, so you'll definitely want a blower / arctic butterfly.
06-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #471
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
This focusing screen really rocks!
I have it installed now, no shims yet because it is almost spot on.

I can recommend this for all people who have manual f1.4 lenses (like my SamYang 85mm f1.4) and want great sharpness.
06-16-2012, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #472
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just chiming in here, absolutely no regrets with the new screen.

I have Samyang 85/1.4, Pentax A 50/1.2 and Revuenon 55/1.2. It is an absolute joy to use with those three, as well as the rest of my glass (mostly f2.8). The fiddliest part of installation is changing the shim. Like others, I found I needed to replace the stock supplied Pentax metal shim with the replacement thinner one to get perfect focus.

My tips would be:
- get a clean, well lit place.
- take your time - the screens are easily scratched.
- careful not to drop any of the bits on the floor!
- for MF lenses, check focussing accuracy using the LCD monitor screen moire method (I also have a lens align - but I found for these manual focus lenses at / around MFD, the LCD screen is a great way to do it).

It is very well worth ensuring you have the shim adjusted correctly. Initially, I was content with the very slight error I experienced with the Pentax shim, and didn't want to run the risk of scratching the screen or introducing dust while experimenting with shims. But with the f1.2 lenses, every mm counts and once adjusted correctly, you'll be glad you did.

In short, if you have this type of MF, wide aperture lens - the screen is worth it's weight in gold IMHO.

06-21-2012, 02:16 AM   #473

QuoteOriginally posted by johnc Quote
It is very well worth ensuring you have the shim adjusted correctly. Initially, I was content with the very slight error I experienced with the Pentax shim, and didn't want to run the risk of scratching the screen or introducing dust while experimenting with shims. But with the f1.2 lenses, every mm counts and once adjusted correctly, you'll be glad you did.

In short, if you have this type of MF, wide aperture lens - the screen is worth it's weight in gold IMHO.
+1

I can really recommend the screen also, I did get the one that has AF lines on it and I find that they can be quite useful, as a compositional aid but they can also be used to check that the horizon is level or for vertical lines if there is no horizon in sight. The lines are very transparent and don't interfere at all.

P.S. I also use the TENPA 1.36x eyepiece which makes for a great combo, especially with wide angle lenses when you want to focus manually. It can be hard to see the entire frame though so I sometimes take it off when I don't need the magnification.

Last edited by paulusje; 06-21-2012 at 02:36 AM.
07-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #474
Inactive Account

Hello guys, I have a kx and plan to use some of my new aquired manual lens. As someone has said that beyond 2.8, the viewfinder will become noticeably dark, which really makes me think twice since I don't keep a constant aperture. So beside this Canon S-type screen, what is the next best one (I don't like the over-priced katzeye) when using manual and auto lens?
Thanks
07-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #475
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baby007 Quote
As someone has said that beyond 2.8, the viewfinder will become noticeably dark, which really makes me think twice since I don't keep a constant aperture.
f/2.8 is fine, f/4 is noticable, and beyond that's it's very noticable (but not "unusable").

Make sure you aren't confused by what this means though, it makes no difference what aperture you actually shoot at the lens is held wide open while you are looking through the VF. The "problem" starts when you put lenses with kit lens type apertures like a 18-55 with f/5.6 at the long end. If you shoot a f/2 lens at f/11 your VF will still be at a nice bright f/2
07-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #476
Pentaxian

I shoot with an F4 400 and it is fine. F5.6 is good as long as it is a bright day.

Are you using m42 lenses? Or K or A type? M42 will require that you compose with the aperture open, then you stop down manually to take the shot.
07-13-2012, 01:41 AM   #477

Hello guys, I have a kx and plan to use some of my new aquired manual lens. As someone has said that beyond 2.8, the viewfinder will become noticeably dark, which really makes me think twice since I don't keep a constant aperture. So beside this Canon S-type screen, what is the next best one (I don't like the over-priced katzeye) when using manual and auto lens?
Thanks
I wouldn't worry about the darkening. It's not that bad really, you won't regret it
07-13-2012, 02:16 AM - 1 Like   #478
Inactive Account

Thanks to you guys, I just lost 100 bucks lol
07-13-2012, 06:04 AM   #479
Pentaxian

Thanks to you guys, I just lost 100 bucks lol
You should say <i just invested 100 bucks>

You'll see that is a $100 very well spent.
07-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #480
Inactive Account

I know, just jk lol. Thanks again guys