Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 77 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #481

There is a LOT to read through here, so I'm hoping someone with experience can offer me some advice...

I currently have a K-30 paired with a Tamron 17-50/2.8 and a DA* 50-135/2.8

My intention is to photograph belly dancers, often at indoor stage events and occassionally in poorly lit restaurants. Unfortunately, flash isn't permitted in many of the venues and it's too much of an annoyance to use in restaurants, so I invested in the fastest zooms I could get (yes, I need zooms for these events, especially the restaurants). Obviously, I'm shooting wide open much of the time and I rely on AF heavily because of the constant movement.

Is there any advantage to the S-type focusing screen over stock for these types of situations? Would it be too dark at 2.8? Is there another type of focusing screen that might serve me better?

Complicating this...when not doing action, I like to do portraits and candids, but I've had trouble discerning exactly where the focus is from time to time, especially when it comes to pinpointing the eyes or judging where the AF is hitting in busy shots. I have seriously considered getting a viewfinder magnifier, but I'm not sure that would solve my problem. My eyes are fine. Would a new focusing screen be a better investment?

09-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #482
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I mostly use a 2.8 lens and find this focusing screen to be way better than the stock one with that lens. I got my brother's standard screen to compare with and but he and I get annoyed over how grainy it looks in low light compared to mine.
09-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #483

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I mostly use a 2.8 lens and find this focusing screen to be way better than the stock one with that lens. I got my brother's standard screen to compare with and but he and I get annoyed over how grainy it looks in low light compared to mine.
Interesting. Have you tried any other screens, by chance?
09-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #484
Veteran Member

Sadly no, so I can't answer that.

09-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #485
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With a 2.8 lens, brightness should be comparable, but view of actual DOF should be better.
09-06-2012, 03:19 AM   #486
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Received my S type screen on 28th August 2012 and installed it 2 days later. What a difference it made to the viewfinder. At F4 to F8, it was still bright in a school hall with minimum lighting.
09-07-2012, 03:05 AM   #487

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
Received my S type screen on 28th August 2012 and installed it 2 days later. What a difference it made to the viewfinder. At F4 to F8, it was still bright in a school hall with minimum lighting.
I knew you'd like it! Congrats and have fun with that fast glass you will be buying more and more and more of

09-07-2012, 06:25 AM   #488
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulusje Quote
I knew you'd like it! Congrats and have fun with that fast glass you will be buying more and more and more of
Thanks, I have the fast lenses I need for now.
09-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #489

My EE-S just shipped today from focusingscreen.com as well. Unfortunately yesterday I sent my Tamron 70-200 and the K-5 body to Tamron for adjustment of the lens. They quoted me three day turnaround for the in-warranty adjustment so hopefully the camera will get back to me shortly after the screen arrives.

Once I try the installation of the screen...if you hear yelling from up north in Minnesota you'll know it's not going well However, there's so much good info here about it I can't imagine it's a problem? Sounds to me like trying the provided red shim first seems to be the thing to do.
09-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #490
Veteran Member

Just be careful not to scratch it and avoid dust (some will come there in time so a little is not a disaster) etc. If something looks like it is in the wrong place, don't force it!
09-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #491

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Just be careful not to scratch it and avoid dust (some will come there in time so a little is not a disaster) etc. If something looks like it is in the wrong place, don't force it!
10-4.

Is the general consensus that the provided red shim is the one that works for most and the place to start?
09-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #492
Pentaxian

So here's a question:

I've been using this screen for a while, and when I put it in originally I used one of the accompanying shims to replace stock shim, and it has been spot-on for MF. But my screen had gotten some specks on it that were started to bug me so last week I ended taking it out momentarily, rocket blower, etc, and putting back -- same shim. Then I noticed it was back focusing with I manual focus. I figured I just messed the shim or something so today I redid it but same result -- back focus. I ended up replacing the shim I've been using for months with a thicker shim and now it is spot-on again.

How is this possible? What could change that I needed a thicker shim now?
09-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #493
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did not change to the supplied Red shim but used the original and the focus is still spot on. So it seems not necessary to change to supplied shim most of the time.
09-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #494
Veteran Member

It's really just trial and error. I had to change the shim, but not to the red one. I had some official Pentax shims that I just started trying until I got one that worked. It wasn't the stock one or even the same one I used with my Katzeye. I've had mine in so long I honestly don't remember which one it was. Not really a big deal, though, as long as you don't get in a hurry. And once it's done, you can consider it a fairly permanent modification, so the results are easily worth the hassle.
09-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #495
Pentaxian

Hey, which one is the stock shim? I have to send in my K-5 for repair, so I want to put back the stock screen and shim first. Is it the metal one?