Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 77 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #496
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Hey, which one is the stock shim? I have to send in my K-5 for repair, so I want to put back the stock screen and shim first. Is it the metal one?
Yes, the stock one is metal, but don't ask me what size.

09-14-2012, 01:10 AM - 1 Like   #497
hpk

another happy costumer here !

although rather expensive here in austria - paid almost 110 euros incl. tax, custom etc.- itīs worth it.

just installed it - focus is spot on without any shim replacement

my leitax converted summicron 90/2.0 just sprang to life - no more guessing etc.

it really is as good as everybody says

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !!
09-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #498

QuoteOriginally posted by KHatfull Quote
My EE-S just shipped today from focusingscreen.com as well. Unfortunately yesterday I sent my Tamron 70-200 and the K-5 body to Tamron for adjustment of the lens. They quoted me three day turnaround for the in-warranty adjustment so hopefully the camera will get back to me shortly after the screen arrives.

Once I try the installation of the screen...if you hear yelling from up north in Minnesota you'll know it's not going well However, there's so much good info here about it I can't imagine it's a problem? Sounds to me like trying the provided red shim first seems to be the thing to do.
Well, got around to installing my screen just a bit ago. Not bad at all. The provided very fine tip stainless tweezer made things very easy.

I ended up with the replacement shim. With the stock shim I had front focus, the reddish shim made it all ok. Following taken with my FA100 and focusing visually not trusting the AF indicator, which can apparently be confused on occasion:

So, does it look like I have it right?

Thanks!
09-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #499
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Probably way more perfect than mine.

09-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #500

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Probably way more perfect than mine.
Eh, I wouldn't bet that...

I did forget to say that yes, the screen makes MF much easier. My keeper rate with MF lenses will go way up with this.

Thanks to all who trumpeted the virtues and thanks to focusingscreen.com for doing this. VERY happy customer here too.
09-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #501
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a question about this screen, and it has probably been asked and answered elsewhere in this thread, but after reading the first 8-9 pages, I didn't see it and gave up.

My question is - how is the screen when using smaller apertures? The main reason I am thinking of getting this screen isto use with my A*600 lens. I like to shoot it stopped down a little to f6.3 if the light permits to maintain a bit of depth of field. Now I remember with my K20D w/katzeye screen, that once you were down to f5.6 or smaller you would get blackout issues in the viewfinder. Does this screen have the same properties when shooting at f5.6 or less?
09-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #502
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I have a question about this screen, and it has probably been asked and answered elsewhere in this thread, but after reading the first 8-9 pages, I didn't see it and gave up.

My question is - how is the screen when using smaller apertures? The main reason I am thinking of getting this screen isto use with my A*600 lens. I like to shoot it stopped down a little to f6.3 if the light permits to maintain a bit of depth of field. Now I remember with my K20D w/katzeye screen, that once you were down to f5.6 or smaller you would get blackout issues in the viewfinder. Does this screen have the same properties when shooting at f5.6 or less?
If there is enough light to use the lens, it probably is ok. I used the screen on my sigma 170-500 which is f6.3, and if the light was enough to capture wildlife shots, say f8 1/250 shutter it was bright enough. If there isn't light enough to get a decent shutter speed, the screen darkened considerably.

I wouldn't install it to use that lens, but it is usable. I find the ees works very well for my 400 f4, an improvement on the stock screen. i can see focus. In low light the stock screen goes blotchy, the ees goes dark but keeps it's resolution.

09-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #503
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
If there is enough light to use the lens, it probably is ok. I used the screen on my sigma 170-500 which is f6.3, and if the light was enough to capture wildlife shots, say f8 1/250 shutter it was bright enough. If there isn't light enough to get a decent shutter speed, the screen darkened considerably.

I wouldn't install it to use that lens, but it is usable. I find the ees works very well for my 400 f4, an improvement on the stock screen. i can see focus. In low light the stock screen goes blotchy, the ees goes dark but keeps it's resolution.
Thanks so much for your reply - it is kind of what I thought but needed some verification.

My long f4 lenses are auto focus so I am not concerned with using a special screen with them.

I just need some more practice with the MF 600, but I am getting there - older age and eyeglasses don't help the matter much!
09-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #504
Pentaxian

Thanks so much for your reply - it is kind of what I thought but needed some verification.

My long f4 lenses are auto focus so I am not concerned with using a special screen with them.

I just need some more practice with the MF 600, but I am getting there - older age and eyeglasses don't help the matter much!
Bottom line is that is it brighter and better for fast lenses (than the stock screen), but definitely darker for slow lenses -- my everyday lens is the 18-250 3.5-6.3, and is is noticeably darker than the stock for that (especially when you zoom in), but then I pretty much rely on AF for that lens anyway. So it is worth the trade to be able to focus fast manual lenses. I got it so I can use my older primes easier -- if I had only modern AF lenses I'm not sure I'd bother as the stock screen might be a better all-around choice. It would be nice if they could be swapped in and out easily in the field.
09-30-2012, 03:24 AM   #505

Photos: Gallery
My question is - how is the screen when using smaller apertures?
I am using it with the DA300 with and without TCs. Without (f=4) it is good, more or less same brightness as with the ee-a screen. With the 1,5x Kenko TC (f=5.6) it is much darker, but still usable, and it helps for manual focussing even at this aperture (the microprism area of the ee-a screen isn't usable with this aperture; for this reason there is no clear advantage using the a version; it is brighter, but focussing is more difficult).

Cheers - Klaus
09-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #506
Veteran Member

The main reason I am thinking of getting this screen isto use with my A*600 lens.
I have the screen and haven't noticed any problems. It has only improved shooting for me.
09-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #507
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
I have the screen and haven't noticed any problems. It has only improved shooting for me.
That's great to know especially since we are talking about the same lens and body style. I guess I should try one - worse case if I don't like it I can sell it.

Are you using the same screen as talked about here the ee-S?
09-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #508
Veteran Member

Are you using the same screen as talked about here the ee-S?
Yes it is the same one!
10-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #509

QuoteOriginally posted by KHatfull Quote
Well, got around to installing my screen just a bit ago. Not bad at all. The provided very fine tip stainless tweezer made things very easy.

I ended up with the replacement shim. With the stock shim I had front focus, the reddish shim made it all ok. Following taken with my FA100 and focusing visually not trusting the AF indicator, which can apparently be confused on occasion:<snip>
After shooting with the camera for a couple weeks I came to the conclusion I was backfocusing just slightly. I removed the reddish colored shim, added just one of the clear shims and I had a slight front focus. Added the second clear shim and it's bang on to my eye and the sensor. I'm able to get good focus, even at f1.7 now.

So if you seem to be missing with your new EE-S screen don't be afraid to experiment with the shims. I've gotten to the point not I can switch them in about 2 minutes.

Now, to get some of the dust of the screen...which honestly doesn't bother me too much at all.
10-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #510
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Going back and fixing my shims, my focus is now leagues better, especially with my Rokinon 35mm f1.4. I now nail focus, even at 1.4, at least for static subjects, where I struggled before.

Had to remove the stock shim and use two clear shims.