Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #526
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Could be, but if the mirror rest position moved, wouldn't that also change the angle of the mirror slightly and make the view all wonky?
I agree with you in principle, but I don't think it'd be noticable for a small shift. (And it only takes a small shift of course.)

The Pentax LX is known for having this problem as it ages, I don't think it's known for making the image look wonky in the finder when it happens.

11-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #527
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
I agree with you in principle, but I don't think it'd be noticable for a small shift. (And it only takes a small shift of course.)

The Pentax LX is known for having this problem as it ages, I don't think it's known for making the image look wonky in the finder when it happens.
Sounds plausible. Here's hoping it has found its final resting place.
11-16-2012, 01:39 AM   #528
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Small update : after more than one year of faithful service, I finally put my DIY cut-down EE-S screen aside for a brand-new gridded S-Type from FocusingScreen.com (Thanks Deki for the kind gesture!)...

First impressions:
- shipping time was really fast (less than a week from Taiwan to France!)
- packaging and accessories are very good!
- Some installation diagrams would be great for noobs, but none are included (free idea : maybe someone can get a nice rebate by giving Deki some nice installation diagrams for Pentax bodies...)...
- the red-rimmed shim is a perfect hit! Whole installation took me about 30s!!!
- the grid is nice, very faint but still there if you need it, a good improvement over the black AF marks of the stock screen.

So, now I can really enjoy a scratch-and-dust-free EE-S screen, with those great unobtrusive grid lines...

Last edited by dlacouture; 11-16-2012 at 02:33 AM.
11-29-2012, 01:31 AM   #529
Forum Member

Has anyone tried to mark the af frame (especially middle point) on hand trimmed ee-s matte screen? Is it possible?

11-29-2012, 04:32 AM   #530
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Small update : after more than one year of faithful service, I finally put my DIY cut-down EE-S screen aside for a brand-new gridded S-Type from FocusingScreen.com (Thanks Deki for the kind gesture!)...

First impressions:
- shipping time was really fast (less than a week from Taiwan to France!)
- packaging and accessories are very good!
- Some installation diagrams would be great for noobs, but none are included (free idea : maybe someone can get a nice rebate by giving Deki some nice installation diagrams for Pentax bodies...)...
- the red-rimmed shim is a perfect hit! Whole installation took me about 30s!!!
- the grid is nice, very faint but still there if you need it, a good improvement over the black AF marks of the stock screen.

So, now I can really enjoy a scratch-and-dust-free EE-S screen, with those great unobtrusive grid lines...
Instructions are on Focusing Screen
11-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #531
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My ee-s is great but a I would like a split image disc on it too.
Am I correct in assuming they are all cut down from ff originals ?
the disc will be too big like when sizing down say an ME screen ?
Pete
11-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #532

My apologies if this is too basic, but could someone please explain what advantages a different focusing screen would provide over the stock one, and are there any disadvantages? Thanks.
11-30-2012, 12:01 AM - 1 Like   #533
Pentaxian

With fast lenses, those with large apertures such as f1.4 the stock screen doesn't show you if you are in focus. This screen does.

I use it with my long lenses such as 400 f4 or 300 2.8 manual focus. It makes it far easier to get precise focus.

The disadvantages are that it gets dark with low light or smaller aperture lenses. For example, to manual focus at f5.8 you need lots of light. So if you don't use fast lenses, f4 and larger, it isn't worth getting. If you use smaller aperture lenses from time to time it works ok, not a deal breaker.

I find the low light darkening better with the ee-s compared to the stock. It goes dark but still shows sharpness if there are any contrasts, whereas the stock screen goes blotchy.

11-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #534
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Motyl Quote
Has anyone tried to mark the af frame (especially middle point) on hand trimmed ee-s matte screen? Is it possible?
It is certainly easy to put an unintentional mark on the screen in a random location.
11-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #535
Site Supporter

Believe it or not, I still have this focusingscreen.com ee-S screen in its original package for over two months and it has not yet been installed.

It is meant for the K7, and to be used especially with some fast lenses I have: Zeiss 85/1.4, among others.

But, I am a bit leary about how this screen will "behave" when I use other-than-fast lenses on it: DA*16-50, DA15, or lenses which are a bit "slower".
In a nut shell, lenses which I would still use with AF and not necessarily "fast".

Any recommendation(s) with that?

JP
11-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #536
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Believe it or not, I still have this focusingscreen.com ee-S screen in its original package for over two months and it has not yet been installed.

It is meant for the K7, and to be used especially with some fast lenses I have: Zeiss 85/1.4, among others.

But, I am a bit leary about how this screen will "behave" when I use other-than-fast lenses on it: DA*16-50, DA15, or lenses which are a bit "slower".
In a nut shell, lenses which I would still use with AF and not necessarily "fast".

Any recommendation(s) with that?
Well, for one thing, the focusing screen does not affect the AF at all. It will make the view darker on slower lenses, however. Why not just pop it in and give it a go?
11-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #537
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Well, for one thing, the focusing screen does not affect the AF at all. It will make the view darker on slower lenses, however. Why not just pop it in and give it a go?
Good thing to know about the AF.

I think I just "might" give it a go myself .... still scared like heck to handle that though. I keep wondering "what if" this or that happens?

By the way: does everyone here had to install any of the shims as well ?

Cheers.

JP
11-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #538
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Good thing to know about the AF.

By the way: does everyone here had to install any of the shims as well ?
I think you'll find most of the people here replaced the stock shim with the supplied dark coloured shim.
11-30-2012, 09:34 PM   #539
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by G_Money Quote
I think you'll find most of the people here replaced the stock shim with the supplied dark coloured shim.
+1 on that. The screens are different thicknesses, so the only case in which you wouldn't have to change it is if your stock shim is already causing your stock screen to be misaligned in the first place...
12-01-2012, 05:21 AM   #540
Forum Member

The S-type from focusingscreens.com is really great with my K-5.
The combination with a Samyang 85mm f1.4 is awesome, i can now make tack sharp images and focusing is very easy.
I would recommend it to everyone who does manual focusing with f1.4 lenses!