Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #571
Veteran Member

I think Dave may be a bit of an outlier. As he stated, his lens lineup is a big factor in his preference, as he has a few slower lenses, though he has several fast ones, too.

Personally, having also had a Katzeye w/optibrite, I'm of the opinion that the Canon ee-s screen is far and away the superior screen, as are the vast majority of those who have tried both. That's what this entire thread is about. I really don't find the darkening effect to be that troublesome, even on moderately slow lenses. To me, the Canon makes the difference between being able to accurately judge focus and DOF and just guessing. The Katzeye only rarely did that for me.

I can really only imagine possibly choosing the Katzeye if you ONLY had slow lenses, and I actually still doubt that I would. Add in the fact that the Katzeye messes with your metering and the Canon doesn't and the choice becomes even easier for me. Every DSLR I ever own will have a Canon screen in it, unless something better comes down the pike.

I'm not saying that anyone that chooses the Katzeye is just wrong, if it works better for you then rock on, I'm just saying that for me, choosing the Canon was one of the easiest, most clear-cut decisions I've had to make in camera-related gear.

06-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #572
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just realized that I never tried the EE-S screen with a wide angle lens. Wide angle lenses often are slower and the details that you want to focus on are smaller. The depth of field is often larger, maybe it works out. I used to have a Zenitar 16/2.8 fisheye and that was pretty tough to focus without a split prism.
06-30-2013, 01:40 AM   #573
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I just realized that I never tried the EE-S screen with a wide angle lens. Wide angle lenses often are slower and the details that you want to focus on are smaller. The depth of field is often larger, maybe it works out. I used to have a Zenitar 16/2.8 fisheye and that was pretty tough to focus without a split prism.
I keep mine in all the time. It works fine with any lens from a Samyang 8mm fisheye to 300mm mirror lens.
07-01-2013, 02:46 AM   #574
Forum Member

OK, I have a Pentax K-30 camera, and my current lenses are the Pentax 18-135WR(3.5-5.6), a Porst Color Reflex 55mm/1.2, and a Sigma 70-300 (4-5.6).

On my old Zenit ET I had a split inner ring and a microsprosm outer ring solution for focusing, and it was OKish, however, it darkened when I stopped down the lens. The Canon ee-S is the S-type on focusingscreen.com? How does it help in focusing? Does it works well with Quickshift lenses?

Cheers

Szabolcs

07-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #575
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by szmatefy Quote
OK, I have a Pentax K-30 camera, and my current lenses are the Pentax 18-135WR(3.5-5.6), a Porst Color Reflex 55mm/1.2, and a Sigma 70-300 (4-5.6).

On my old Zenit ET I had a split inner ring and a microsprosm outer ring solution for focusing, and it was OKish, however, it darkened when I stopped down the lens. The Canon ee-S is the S-type on focusingscreen.com? How does it help in focusing? Does it works well with Quickshift lenses?

Cheers

Szabolcs
I would suggest you go back to the beginning of this thread. The answers you seek are within.
07-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #576

Hi all. So now that I have sufficiently expanded my lens lineup, i have noticed that too many of my manual focus shots are out of focus. So after having read a bit about using different focus screens, I am thinking heavily about trying one. And all signs point to the Canon ee-S, based on everything i have read here. My only concerns are the darker view at lower apertures. I just got a Supe-tak 150/4, and a Vivitar 200/3.5 and my main AF lens is the 18-135WR, in addition to a number of other manual focus lenses. My concern is with the darkening with slower lenses. With a K-5II, will I still be able to see sufficiently in low light to be able to focus? For the record, I have just started using reading glasses in the last year, but otherwise have very good vision beyond a couple of feet (perhaps not as great as it used to be...?). Also, how do I indicate on focusingscreen.com that i need one sized for the K-5II. Thank you for your input.
07-03-2013, 07:36 AM   #577
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Would those who have used the modified Canon ee-S screen please comment about any affect on exposure metering? I am still unclear on this. Is there no impact, period? Is there an impact only on lenses above or below a certain maximum aperture? Or is there an impact to all lenses regardless of aperture?

07-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #578
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Would those who have used the modified Canon ee-S screen please comment about any affect on exposure metering? I am still unclear on this. Is there no impact, period? Is there an impact only on lenses above or below a certain maximum aperture? Or is there an impact to all lenses regardless of aperture?
With slowish lenses (>f4) I usually dial in +1/3 or +2/3 EV exposure compensation. This gives me the same exposure as LV metering would. I also always shoot raw, use the highlight correction and prefer to err on the under-exposure side. With fast lenses (<f2.8) the exposure tends to be spot on.
07-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #579
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
With slowish lenses (>f4) I usually dial in +1/3 or +2/3 EV exposure compensation. This gives me the same exposure as LV metering would. I also always shoot raw, use the highlight correction and prefer to err on the under-exposure side. With fast lenses (<f2.8) the exposure tends to be spot on.
Thank you. I appreciate that. Just to be sure, this is with the K-5 correct?

Anybody have a different experience (especially with a K-30)?

I am thinking a Canon ee-S screen will be a gift to myself later this year. I am comfortable as to the improvement when focusing with a fast manual lens, and believe there is a minimal impact with my relatively slower AF lenses (my DA 18-135 and F 35-70 are still my most used lenses), but not yet comfortable with what might happen to exposure metering. I don't want to spend this much on an unhappy experiment.
07-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #580
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by toukan Quote
With a K-5II, will I still be able to see sufficiently in low light to be able to focus? Also, how do I indicate on focusingscreen.com that i need one sized for the K-5II.
1. Yes. Effect will probably be most noticeable on the 18-135, but I still doubt it would be a deal-breaker for you.

2. K-5 and K-5II are identical, focusing screen-wise.
07-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #581
Veteran Member

I am thinking a Canon ee-S screen will be a gift to myself later this year. I am comfortable as to the improvement when focusing with a fast manual lens, and believe there is a minimal impact with my relatively slower AF lenses (my DA 18-135 and F 35-70 are still my most used lenses), but not yet comfortable with what might happen to exposure metering. I don't want to spend this much on an unhappy experiment.
I don't dial in any EV comp.. Yes, I shoot in raw (and don't understand why anybody that can doesn't), but I just don't ever see any difference anyway. As far as I can tell, the ee-s screen exposes identically to the stock screen. I don't think it would make any difference between a K-5 and a K-30.
07-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #582
Veteran Member

This is on a K-7 where I have to be a bit more careful with exposure than on the K-5/K-30. If you are going to use manual focus lenses then the benefits far outweigh any (unlikely) exposure problems. With this screen it is really easy to hit sharp focus manually with just about any lens. Even with slow lenses the screen simply darkens and doesn't go 'grainy' like the stock screen does.
07-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #583
Veteran Member

Both me and my brother agree that the ee-s screen is easier to focus with even in low light or with slow lenses as it doesn't get that grainy look like the stock screen. I got the EE-s in my K-5 and he wants one for his K-5.
07-08-2013, 06:01 AM   #584

+1 for the EE-s : I have recently fitted it (and carefully shimmed it) and the difference is amazing. You now know when the camera has focused on the wrong thing before you take the shot. For manual focus and decent primes it's a vital bit of kit.
07-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #585
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I changed to the EE-s and it clearly is dimmer, but as stated you can judge sharpness MUCH better, which is the reason to change. Brightness isn't as important as accurate focus, and I always preferred the late 50s SLRs with plain groundglass for accurate focus, even though they were dim. BTW, my screen (in K-5) did not need any change to the shims for perfect focus. Possibly there is variation in how accurately the stock screens are fitted, as you don't notice the slight differences as much with it anyway.