Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Well, I didn't bothered with the notch (or is it a tab?), but if I had to make one, I'd just saw the screen square anyway and then glue the tab afterwards... Less hassle this way.

And regarding your methodology, that's quite what I've done, and it works, but it's not scratch-proof as holding down such a tiny thing while cutting is quite hard...

What I'll do for the 2nd screen (my brother wants one) is to use a wooden block (maybe with some foam on it) with a ridge running at the back, slotted for the saw, so the screen is firmly blocked and cannot slip left, right or forward, and the saw is truly perpendicular.
I used a piece of wood that holds the screen in place while sawing. Works quite well. Look at the images above your post.
I did create a small notch, nothing like the original but enough to hold it.

05-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
BTW, I almost cut it "sideways" into the EE-S so as to only cut two stripes instead of four, but the K5's screen width is slightly bigger than the EE-S height... But maybe it could work? Especially for smaller screens such as for the K10/20...
05-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aliasant Quote
Thats pretty close to what I did.
I did take some pictures so heres some of those.

I did use a cd marker to draw an X on both the original and the Canon screen and then place them like on the pictures to center them and draw around it.

Step 3 is were I went a different way.
I took an old piece of board and made a small recess that fits the entire Canon screen. Then used a fine saw and sawed thru the board + the screen.
After I was done I still had to file it down to a perfect fit.
Then I removed the tape and cleaned it using soap and finally CRC Electronic Cleaner. That eats up everything without leaving a trace and works well for other things like sticky apartureblades or dirty filters
Dont think a rocketblower will be enough but try that first.

Finally I went out and took some pictures
Thanks for the instructions and pictures Aliasant. That definitely looks like a great way to do it. A couple more naive questions (sorry for the bother):

1) How did you create such a perfect recess in the wood block? A dremel perhaps?
2) You speak of soap and cleaner, but I was under the impression that these screens were far too fragile to handle directly on their front/back faces. Even the Ec-A screen I installed that came pre-cut ended up with a few visible handling scratches. How did you manage to clean it without damaging the surface?

Last but not least, I finally recognized your name/pic from a forum thread on the Bokina. Since we both share the same lens, how do you like this new screen pairing? Any noticeable overexposure?

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Well, I didn't bothered with the notch (or is it a tab?), but if I had to make one, I'd just saw the screen square anyway and then glue the tab afterwards... Less hassle this way.

And regarding your methodology, that's quite what I've done, and it works, but it's not scratch-proof as holding down such a tiny thing while cutting is quite hard...

What I'll do for the 2nd screen (my brother wants one) is to use a wooden block (maybe with some foam on it) with a ridge running at the back, slotted for the saw, so the screen is firmly blocked and cannot slip left, right or forward, and the saw is truly perpendicular.
I befuddled my words, you're right it is a tab (quite the opposite from a notch)!

Glad to know I wasn't too off-base. Thanks for the tip on hand-holding + sawing, I can see now how it'd be quite precarious.
05-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anyone ever try this with a very sharp 1" finish chisel? The Canon screen I have upstairs "shaves", as though it might cut well with a chisel.

05-06-2011, 11:21 PM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, problem is that it snaps quite easily. So I'd not be confident using a chisel, even if I have some really sharp ones lying around...

Regarding the scratches, I found this screen quite hard to scratch, given the abuse I gave it...

As I said before, a simple test for testing the over/under exposure : compare the screen metering with Liveview metering.
So far I got near identical values, except with the DA18-55...
05-07-2011, 12:41 AM - 1 Like   #51
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Thanks for the instructions and pictures Aliasant. That definitely looks like a great way to do it. A couple more naive questions (sorry for the bother):

1) How did you create such a perfect recess in the wood block? A dremel perhaps?
2) You speak of soap and cleaner, but I was under the impression that these screens were far too fragile to handle directly on their front/back faces. Even the Ec-A screen I installed that came pre-cut ended up with a few visible handling scratches. How did you manage to clean it without damaging the surface?

Last but not least, I finally recognized your name/pic from a forum thread on the Bokina. Since we both share the same lens, how do you like this new screen pairing? Any noticeable overexposure?
I used a wood chisel to cut that recess. It took no more then 2 minutes and it doesnt need to be perfect all around. Just enough to hold the canon screen in place.
After I sawed of the 2 sides I took the screen out and made a new recess to be able to cut the other 2 sides.

About cleaning. Its not a problem to use soap, warmwater and your fingers as long as your fingers are cleaned proper.
That Electronic Cleaner from CRC is made not to damage plastics so that one works great too. It will remove any fat, dust or dirt and leaves almost no trace. To finish it off I cleaned the screen using a microfiber cloth + some more CRC Electronic Cleaner.
I finally reassembled the camera in my bathroom after letting warm water run for a while to take down dust flying around.

I will shoot some with my Tokina today and post the results later. It wont be a scientific test. Just casual shooting and Ill post my impressions.
I can hint you that even with some overexpsoing problems ( if there are any) this screen is so much nicer to use then any I have previously tested so I will adapt if necessary.
05-07-2011, 01:44 AM   #52
Site Supporter

I did a very simple testshot from tripod first using manual focusing thru viewfinder and then using liveview + x10zoom.
My focus surprised me since it was perfect. I couldnt get better focusing using 10x liveview.
The exposure was identical. 1/3200 but I did this wide open at 2.5.
Should I test at other fstops?

Update:
I went out and shot some in the woods behind the house and I used AV with Auto ISO and did get overexposures while shoting against the light but I had that before I changed the screen so i dont think that has anything to do with the canon screen.
I adjusted the AV to -1 and got nice shots and I also turned of the Auto ISO and perhaps that was part of the problem.
If the K5 messures wrong by 1 stop against the light then Using Auto ISO might add another 1stop since i presume that function uses the same messuring?

The really nice thing is again very apparent. I didnt have to toss any shots because of missed focus. I used to throw away more then 50% because of that so now im a happy shooter and can focus (NPI) on composition instead

One important thing that must not be forgotten is that I had to change that thin shim that sits above the focus screen to 0.10mm from the original 0.40mm.
Using the original would cause a severe front focusing problem.
To get those shims here in Sweden I had to call Pentax main reseller and repairshop and they were glad sending me a bunch of different shims. I got them 2 days later.

Last edited by aliasant; 05-07-2011 at 03:11 AM.
05-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aliasant Quote
I used a wood chisel to cut that recess. It took no more then 2 minutes and it doesnt need to be perfect all around. Just enough to hold the canon screen in place.
After I sawed of the 2 sides I took the screen out and made a new recess to be able to cut the other 2 sides.

About cleaning. Its not a problem to use soap, warmwater and your fingers as long as your fingers are cleaned proper.
That Electronic Cleaner from CRC is made not to damage plastics so that one works great too. It will remove any fat, dust or dirt and leaves almost no trace. To finish it off I cleaned the screen using a microfiber cloth + some more CRC Electronic Cleaner.
I finally reassembled the camera in my bathroom after letting warm water run for a while to take down dust flying around.

I will shoot some with my Tokina today and post the results later. It wont be a scientific test. Just casual shooting and Ill post my impressions.
I can hint you that even with some overexpsoing problems ( if there are any) this screen is so much nicer to use then any I have previously tested so I will adapt if necessary.
Thanks for the tips Aliasant. I think I'm set to give this a go.

BTW, very nice flickr site; those early morning shots are ethereal!

05-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #54
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anthony Lee Quote
I have written to focusingscreen.com to ask whether they can produce a K5 screen with the Canon type S focusing screen and hopefully they can. They are using this particular screen for other cameras and they should be able to do it for K5, I hope.
That sounds cool. With any luck they will make a K10D version too!

Steve
05-08-2011, 12:42 AM   #55
Site Supporter

Thanks for the tips Aliasant. I think I'm set to give this a go.

BTW, very nice flickr site; those early morning shots are ethereal!
Thank you very much
Those shots very fun to take. I used an old 200mm Mamiya SX f3.5 for some of those shots and that lens can do some nice magic. I didnt do much except getting my lazy bum out of bed while it was still pitch black outside.
05-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Just did a bit more research. It turns out that the S style screens (Ec-S, Ef-S, Ee-S, and Eg-S) are all identical in matte, but the Ec-S has AF and spot markings. Also, these screens are not ground glass (which is what I thought), but instead a very fine microlens array. What this means is that bokeh will look a little funny, as can be seen in this comparison: FINAL TEST Ee-A or Ee-S ??????

Do you guys notice this bokeh behavior?
05-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #57
Site Supporter

Just did a bit more research. It turns out that the S style screens (Ec-S, Ef-S, Ee-S, and Eg-S) are all identical in matte, but the Ec-S has AF and spot markings. Also, these screens are not ground glass (which is what I thought), but instead a very fine microlens array. What this means is that bokeh will look a little funny, as can be seen in this comparison: FINAL TEST Ee-A or Ee-S ??????

To me the bokeh looks pretty much like the final shot.
In other words it looks great but I can only compare it with the stock screen and the katzeye I had.
05-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Indeed, the bokeh is great and truthful, but with careful examination you can see this hexagon-like pattern in some OOF highlights...
I really have to concentrate and hunt for it, to the point where my eye hurts, though, so it's not a game breaker...
05-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #59
Veteran Member

I did a little research on this, too, since the the EE-S screens seem to be getting hard to come by at the major retailers. Apparently, the EE-S is for the 5D and is being discontinued. The EG-S is for the 5D II and is more readily available, though slightly more costly. Did you happen to turn up any differences between these two other than that? I haven't had much luck finding anything. It has been suggested to me that the EG-S has AF markings, which would make it undesirable to us Pentaxians, but I haven't been able to verify this. The product listing at B&H only shows it as being matte like the EE-S.
05-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I did a little research on this, too, since the the EE-S screens seem to be getting hard to come by at the major retailers. Apparently, the EE-S is for the 5D and is being discontinued. The EG-S is for the 5D II and is more readily available, though slightly more costly. Did you happen to turn up any differences between these two other than that? I haven't had much luck finding anything. It has been suggested to me that the EG-S has AF markings, which would make it undesirable to us Pentaxians, but I haven't been able to verify this. The product listing at B&H only shows it as being matte like the EE-S.
The Eg-S doesn't have markings from what I've seen/read, just the Ec-S (for 1D cameras). As for differences, I saw 1 user say that the Ee-S was brighter with lenses slower than 2.8, and around 10 say they had both and saw no difference. That said, I'd expect them to be identical (except for slightly different sizes), and both work for cutting down.

If you do want some markings, the Ec-S version would work as well, albeit with the Canon ellipse and spot circle.

Hope that helps!