Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2014, 10:27 AM   #631
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
How many lenses are you going to buy that are both old/MF AND slow?
The screen is actually perfectly usable with my f5.6+ 300mm mirror lens

03-17-2014, 10:51 AM   #632
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
The screen is actually perfectly usable with my f5.6+ 300mm mirror lens
I was using it with the 1000mm f/11 Reflex last week -- sunny day helps but works fine. It never blacks out like those old split screens...
03-18-2014, 09:33 PM   #633
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eureka!

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
S-screen. Had the Katzeye before, the s-screen is better.
Mine arrived today. I am astounded. The difference between the s-screen and my Katzeye is like the difference I was hoping for initially with the Katzeye. The Katzeye was certainly better than stock, but this s-screen simply eats it alive.

I've been prancing around the house with the 50 1.2, snapping a shot, reviewing the shot, doing a little dancing, and prancing onward to the next shot..... For about 30 minutes. I KNEW my focus skills were better than they'd seemed! Love this screen. LOVE IT.

---------- Post added 03-18-14 at 09:35 PM ----------

What a difference critical focus makes when you can actually SEE your critical focus. I can also tell now when the AF misses, even more than I could with the Katzeye split.
03-18-2014, 09:49 PM   #634
Veteran Member

Another believer! I agree with you 100%. There are a couple of folks here who say they prefer the Katzeye, which dumbfounds me, but hey, to each their own.

03-19-2014, 08:25 AM   #635
Pentaxian

Another believer! I agree with you 100%. There are a couple of folks here who say they prefer the Katzeye, which dumbfounds me, but hey, to each their own.
Well honestly I can understand some cases that I would miss a split-screen. I think particularly if you wear glasses and rarely if ever shoot wide open at these apertures then a split will give you all the confirmation you need and so many folks got used to that in old days. It does provide a very concrete visual queue within a certain tolerance.

All I know is the K-3 is going out with me today after shooting on my MXs for the past month.

---------- Post added 03-19-14 at 08:27 AM ----------

(And I do wish I'd seen this thread a few years ago with the K7 and K5!)
05-05-2014, 02:11 AM   #636
Pentaxian

The lack of split screen worries me too, (currently have katz eye in my k10) but I'd rather have better metering anyway.

I couldn't take this thread any longer and ordered on for my K10.

Thanks a lot you jerks. :P
05-05-2014, 07:51 AM   #637
Site Supporter

I currently am running a KatzEye with Optibrite on my K10D and Type-S on my K-3. It is nice to be free from the distraction of the center focus aides, but I am finding it difficult to find focus at times with the Type-S. I will do a formal comparative review once I have time to properly adapt.

Steve
05-05-2014, 07:54 AM   #638
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I currently am running a KatzEye with Optibrite on my K10D and Type-S on my K-3. It is nice to be free from the distraction of the center focus aides, but I am finding it difficult to find focus at times with the Type-S. I will do a formal comparative review once I have time to properly adapt.

Steve
look forward to it!

05-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #639
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Not trying to be flippant, but do you have any vision issues? I have had to start using reading glasses in the last year or so and have noticed that it's also become a little tougher to achieve fine focus. I've been using s-types long enough to know that's it's my eyes and not the screen. Before this past year the in-focus image did jump out at me a little better. Now it takes a little more concentration. I probably need to play around with my diopter a bit.
05-05-2014, 08:18 PM   #640
Pentaxian

I'm young, no eye issues, but have enjoyed having a split image in near darkness, but if this s-type is as bright as they way wide open it might be enough..
05-06-2014, 05:23 PM   #641
Site Supporter

Not trying to be flippant, but do you have any vision issues?
None besides presbyopia and my optometrist assures me that except for that my vision is actually a bit better than average. The diopter adjustment has been quite adequate.

Steve
05-12-2014, 06:49 PM   #642
Veteran Member

Just received two s-type screens - one for my K-3 and one for my K-5. Ordered it last Sunday, and even after two days to etch the AF markings I ordered, I still received it today. Very well packaged.. Was a little trepid installing it, but after watching the youtube video (for a K-R), I really had no problems. Took about 5 minutes to install my K-3 screen. Required no shims so was very easy. Had to redo it to remove a little dust, but second time was even faster.

I have been comparing focusing on my K-3 vs my K-5 (still with the original focusing screen). This s-screen makes a substantial difference. I have tried using manual focus lenses a couple of times (a 50/1.7 and a 28/3.5) with my K-5 but had too many focus misses, so gave it up. It was simply to much hassle to try to use the focus confirmation. I, btw, use glasses, so that probably does not help. Focus peaking on my K-3 and K-01 helps in some (i.e. indoor) situations, but this is much better. My 31 and 77 snaps into focus with no issue at all. It works with my 18-135mm and 55-300mm though the screen is noticeable darker. I will use it for a week or two and then decide if I change my K-5 as well.

In short, confirming most experiences here...

A K 55/1.8 and a A 50/1.7 is on the way...

---------- Post added 05-12-14 at 07:42 PM ----------

So I just checked on the under exposure that was reported by some.

Using my 18-135mm on my k-3 with the s-screen I now get under exposure by about 1.5 stop. The same lens on my k-5 exposes correctly, and (maybe more convincingly) switching the k-3 to live view immediately jumps the exposure by about 1.5 stop. Using my 31mm I see no difference in these scenarios. Switching to spot metering (from auto) reduces the difference to 2/3s of a stop, and now there is a 1/3 stop under exposure on the 31mm as well. Btw, I did cover up the view finder. I then tried my 21mm Ltd., and got same results as the 18-135mm

It is possible the AF markings messes things up. These markings are pretty bright with the slower lenses. The different results using spot metering seems to suggest this is partial true, but not the complete explanation.

Do one of you have the s-screen without marking, so you can check the exposure live/no live, and see if you get different results?

This is disappointing... Half a stop maybe, but 1.5 seems a bit much....
05-13-2014, 07:00 AM   #643
Loyal Site Supporter

After reading this thread I'm convinced that the s-type is what I need. I have tried to put a question to FocusingScreen via the Contact link on the webpage, but after three attempts I have still not gotten a respons. Has anyone had any experience in contacting the company? Is there perhaps a direct mail address that I can use instead?

Last edited by Bengan; 05-13-2014 at 10:17 AM. Reason: bad spelling
05-13-2014, 09:03 AM   #644
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
After reading this tread I'm convinced that the s-type is what I need. I have tried to put a question to FocusingScreen via the Contact link on the webpage, but after three attempts I have still not gotten a respons. Has anyone had any experience in contacting the company? Is there perhaps a direct mail address that I can use instead?
Communication is definitely not their strong suit. I don't know of a good way to get a question answered unless it's something that users could help you with.
05-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #645
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
After reading this thread I'm convinced that the s-type is what I need. I have tried to put a question to FocusingScreen via the Contact link on the webpage, but after three attempts I have still not gotten a respons. Has anyone had any experience in contacting the company? Is there perhaps a direct mail address that I can use instead?
I haven't had success either contacting them but I am happy with the product.