Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 77 Likes Search this Thread
05-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
The Eg-S doesn't have markings from what I've seen/read, just the Ec-S (for 1D cameras). As for differences, I saw 1 user say that the Ee-S was brighter with lenses slower than 2.8, and around 10 say they had both and saw no difference. That said, I'd expect them to be identical (except for slightly different sizes), and both work for cutting down.

If you do want some markings, the Ec-S version would work as well, albeit with the Canon ellipse and spot circle.

Hope that helps!
That's kinda what I had decided, too. Thanks!

05-10-2011, 10:05 AM   #62

Rather than try to buy the right type of saw and DIY this, anyone feel up to cutting one down for me?

In all seriousness, what type of saw would you all recommend for this?

Last edited by Balog; 05-10-2011 at 02:59 PM.
05-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Balog Quote
Rather than try to buy the right type of saw and DIY this, anyone feel up to cutting one down for me?

In all seriousness, what type of saw would you all recommend for this?
Looks like aliasant used a pull saw. I went to Home Depot and got this one: Vaughan 8-1/2 in. Pull Saw with Extra-Fine Blade - BS240P at The Home Depot

It'll probably be a couple weeks before I can test it out, but I'll post back on how my own DIY goes.
05-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #64
Veteran Member

I'm waiting on my screen to arrive, but I intend to try using a Dremel with a cutting blade, rather than a grinding attachment. I do plan to make a cutout in wood as has already been shown to hold it still. Fingers crossed.

05-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I'm waiting on my screen to arrive, but I intend to try using a Dremel with a cutting blade, rather than a grinding attachment. I do plan to make a cutout in wood as has already been shown to hold it still. Fingers crossed.

Nice to see others try this
A small warning though. I tried this once before using a dremel to cut an old screen from an old Pentax MG.
The problem is that the dremel spins quite fast and that causes friction that might melt the plastic focus screen just as much as its cutting it. The cut will be wider then expected and the final screen wil then me slightly smaller then expected.
Just be carefull and cut it a little bigger. Then use a file to finetune its size.
The file for finetuning will most likely be necessary anyways.
05-11-2011, 01:23 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aliasant Quote
A small warning though. I tried this once before using a dremel to cut an old screen from an old Pentax MG.
The problem is that the dremel spins quite fast and that causes friction that might melt the plastic focus screen just as much as its cutting it. The cut will be wider then expected and the final screen wil then me slightly smaller then expected.
Just be carefull and cut it a little bigger. Then use a file to finetune its size.
I did think of that and hope to mitigate it somewhat by making a series of small cuts, possibly even rotating what edges of the screen I'm working on, rather than a continuous cut down an entire edge. Will, of course, also use the slowest speed setting, though I'm not sure how much of a difference that will make. Thanks for the tips.
05-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mmm... any idea what the melting temp is? I'm wondering about a hot wire cut... I think I've got a surgical cautery with a 700 degree tip.

05-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Looks like aliasant used a pull saw. I went to Home Depot and got this one: Vaughan 8-1/2 in. Pull Saw with Extra-Fine Blade - BS240P at The Home Depot

It'll probably be a couple weeks before I can test it out, but I'll post back on how my own DIY goes.
Yes. A pull saw or as my mom says, a "Japan Saw"..
Those saws are great. Precision work gets so much easier when your pulling rather then pushing.

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I did think of that and hope to mitigate it somewhat by making a series of small cuts, possibly even rotating what edges of the screen I'm working on, rather than a continuous cut down an entire edge. Will, of course, also use the slowest speed setting, though I'm not sure how much of a difference that will make. Thanks for the tips.
Good luck !
05-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used a piece of wood that holds the screen in place while sawing. Works quite well. Look at the images above your post.
I did create a small notch, nothing like the original but enough to hold it.
When you created the tab (notch), did you cut the screen square and then glue on a tab as dlacouture suggested? Or did you cut a triangle on that side of the screen with your saw and just file down the edges?

My questions are relentless I know! :P

BTW, I noticed that the face *up* side on the Ee-S screen is opposite that of the stock screen wrt the tab. During installation, the Ee-S and Eg-S screens have the tab on the right, the Ec-S and Pentax stock screens have the tab on the left (not sure about Ef-S). Just a note to other DIY'ers.
05-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
Mmm... any idea what the melting temp is? I'm wondering about a hot wire cut... I think I've got a surgical cautery with a 700 degree tip.

Lol.
I have no idea but it shouldnt be to high. I was thinking the same before i decided to go with the recess on the wooden board and saw thing.

My plan was to take a big razerblade, heat it up til it glows and then .... well. Here is were I chickened out. You can always practice some on the canon screens edges since its quite a lot larger then the K5 screen.
05-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #71
Veteran Member

BTW, I noticed that the face *up* side on the Ee-S screen is opposite that of the stock screen wrt the tab. During installation, the Ee-S and Eg-S screens have the tab on the right, the Ec-S and Pentax stock screens have the tab on the left (not sure about Ef-S). Just a note to other DIY'ers.
Good note!
05-11-2011, 02:55 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just got one of these for my K5. I got the K5 monday, and I knew I would have to get a better screen for it, but hadn't decided what kind. And so I found this thread.

I used a dremel and cut a bit outside where I wanted the edge, and removed the rest with sandpaper. I almost didn't damage the screen... It's certainly perfectly usable. Only cleaned it with a blower.

I taped the screen to a piece of cardboard before cutting. (Tape only on the parts I was going to discard, obviously.)
05-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
I just got one of these for my K5. I got the K5 monday, and I knew I would have to get a better screen for it, but hadn't decided what kind. And so I found this thread.

I used a dremel and cut a bit outside where I wanted the edge, and removed the rest with sandpaper. I almost didn't damage the screen... It's certainly perfectly usable. Only cleaned it with a blower.

I taped the screen to a piece of cardboard before cutting. (Tape only on the parts I was going to discard, obviously.)
Nice! And with a Dremel no less! And how do you like the screen?

BTW, I think you can tape the whole thing, it's been suggested the tape itself won't harm the screen. Even if the tape leaves residue, it should come clean with one of the cleaners that've been mentioned earlier in the thread.
05-11-2011, 11:33 PM   #74
Pentaxian

I might try this, does anyone have a drawing with the correct k5 screen size? It would be nice to cut the new screen without having to mess around with the original one.
05-12-2011, 01:27 AM - 1 Like   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
K5/7: focus screen is 17.9x26mm (see here for a drawing).
K10/20 (also all others Pentax DSLRs, IIRC): focus screen is 17.5x25mm (see here for a photo).
MZ/ZX film SLRs: focus screen is 24.5x35mm
Canon EE-S screen is 25x36mm (useful surface, the screen itself is slightly bigger: 25x37mm)

I'll try one soon in my MZ-6 film body...

EDIT: well, that's quite a little following I got here! Nice to see you all, guys!