Show Printable Version 77 Likes Search this Thread
09-21-2011, 08:35 AM   #106
Veteran Member

...and they're already out of stock.

09-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
...and they're already out of stock.
They said they vut the Canon sensors down to K-5 size to order. So to me that just proves to them the demand is there. this means they'll likely learn and order bigger stocks next time.

Personally I think Pentax should supply stock screens that can resolve shallow DOFs.

I regularly use my pentax A 50/1.2 @ 1.2 and it's impossible to accurately focus using the stock screen. it's light years away from WYSIWYG
09-21-2011, 09:05 PM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thoughton Quote
I've been looking into this lately so I've been trying to find out the differences between the various Canon -S screens. Does this look about right?

ef-s - completely blank 1.6x crop factor screen for 40D etc

ee-s - completely blank 1.3x crop factor screen for 1D
ec-s - screen with oval and centre circle (for AF, not a split prism), 1.3x crop factor screen for 1D

eg-s - completely blank full frame screen for 5D

So obviously my next question is what are the dimensions of the ef-s screen, and can we use it in our Pentax cameras without cutting it down to size? (Or possibly with just a bit of filing?). I have tried lots of searching but the screen dimensions are quite elusive!
Thanks for the heads up on this thread T. Much appreciated.
09-21-2011, 10:28 PM   #109

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
They said they vut the Canon sensors down to K-5 size to order. So to me that just proves to them the demand is there. this means they'll likely learn and order bigger stocks next time.

Personally I think Pentax should supply stock screens that can resolve shallow DOFs.

I regularly use my pentax A 50/1.2 @ 1.2 and it's impossible to accurately focus using the stock screen. it's light years away from WYSIWYG
I bought K5 because I was attracted to all the fantastic range of legacy lenses, having used some of these with my Canon FF. I was utterly disapointed that I could not get a proper focusing screen. Wrote to focusingscreen.com in March, continued to struggle with the K5 because I only use mostly manual focus lenses. Finally, when I gave up and sold the K5, the screen is now available. Further disappointment. Yes, Pentax should do something in this area.

09-22-2011, 08:36 AM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
I wrote them yesterday to ask when they expected them back in stock. I had a response today (I was shocked, they've never responded to anything before), in very broken English, that basically said, "go ahead and order it today". So I went to the site and it showed there being 1 available. I ordered it and just checked the site again. Now the S-type doesn't even show up as a choice. I would guess that you just need to email them first about it.
09-27-2011, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #111
Veteran Member

OK, I just received it. That was incredibly fast from Taiwan, 5 days including a weekend. I'm not going to install it until I get some other cleaning supplies that I ordered elsewhere, but I must say that it is impressive the stuff that they send with it. Shims, 2 sets of tweezers, including some nice large metal ones (and some plastic, screen-specific ones), and some latex finger gloves (or, really small condoms). Screen itself is in what appears to be the original Canon acrylic flip-top box. So far, I'm more impressed with what I received than I was when I got my Katz-Eye.

Last edited by DogLover; 09-27-2011 at 12:29 PM.
09-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #112
Pentaxian

DogLover, I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions once you have installed it and used it for a while.

I happily used a cheap off-brand split-image screen on my K20D for a couple of years, but tried again with a Travor double-split screen on my K5 and removed it within a week or two. It screwed up metering much too much.

So I have been using the stock screen, and frequently focusing using live view. Not good!

Dominique almost had me convinced, but I'll wait to hear what you think before I take the plunge.

09-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
DogLover, I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions once you have installed it and used it for a while.

I happily used a cheap off-brand split-image screen on my K20D for a couple of years, but tried again with a Travor double-split screen on my K5 and removed it within a week or two. It screwed up metering much too much.

So I have been using the stock screen, and frequently focusing using live view. Not good!

Dominique almost had me convinced, but I'll wait to hear what you think before I take the plunge.
I'm excited to try it out! Will let you know what I think.
09-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #114
Veteran Member

Tagged
The K-5 focussing screen is an abomination and I am very interested.
09-27-2011, 06:15 PM - 2 Likes   #115
Veteran Member

OK, I couldn't wait and went ahead and installed it. It did require a re-calibration from what my Katzeye had, which surprised me a bit since I thought I'd read that shouldn't be the case. Of course, my Katzeye could have been mis-calibrated. I had some genuine Pentax shims so I used one of those instead of the plastic ones supplied with the new screen. I got lucky and my first guess for the shim-size was correct so that went quickly.

Guys, this thing is all they say it is. Night and day difference from the Katzeye, which means it's that much better than the stocker. One thing I noticed right off was that the +1 EV Comp I had dialed in needed to go bye-bye. This screen allows much more accurate metering. I tried the DA*55 first at 1.7. The hair-thin DoF can easily be seen now. Man, this thing is awesome! I went through all the FA Ltds just to play with 'em. Even with their relatively short focus throws, MF is much, much easier now. Tomorrow, I'll get out the Zeiss' and really let this thing shine.

dlacouture deserves all the credit for singing the praises of this screen. I'm SO glad he started this thread!

Edit: I forgot to mention, don't let the AF area markings that focusingscreens.com puts on bother you. They are barely even visible. In fact, sometimes they aren't visible. I'm actually kinda glad they're there because they serve as unobtrusive compositional aids.

Last edited by DogLover; 09-27-2011 at 06:37 PM.
09-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This has been the most exciting and helpful thread I've read on this site.

I, too, thank dlacouture for bringing this screen to everyone's attention. I received my ee-s today (purchased through Amazon/Japan x-ray). I hope to cut it down and install it this weekend. (I currently have a Katz-eye in my K-7.)

I'm a bit nervous about the screen-sawing part; but I'm sure I'll get through it.

Thanks again to dlacouture and everyone else who has contributed.
09-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Byrd-2020 Quote
I'm a bit nervous about the screen-sawing part; but I'm sure I'll get through it.
It's not as bad as I thought it'd be, just expect to need to sand down the edges to get it just right.
09-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #118
Pentaxian

DogLover: how does it look with your longer glass?
09-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
DogLover: how does it look with your longer glass?
Haven't tried it yet. Do you mean DoF-wise, or VF brightness-wise? I'll try it soon and post.
09-27-2011, 10:07 PM   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Update: I finally got around to cleaning and properly shimming my screen. Now it's spot on perfect, but oddly enough it worked best with no shim at all (i.e. just removed the metal shim)!

As for cleaning, I still have smudges on the screen that CRC cleaner + water doesn't seem to be removing. I must be doing something wrong, because each time I try to clean it the smudges move but don't dissapear. I did however get all the distracting tape residue off, so it's workable in it's current state. That said I may just buy another one from focusingscreen.com so that it'll be both prestine and include the AF grid.

Suffice to say, I do feel like this screen is more accurate than my previous Ec-A screen, but I'll try it out tomorrow in some daylight before passing a final verdict.