Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 77 Likes Search this Thread
10-13-2011, 08:38 AM   #136
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
I'm quite curious to try one out after many people have said they like them better than a split-prism. However, I've found my dual-diagonal split prism so much easier than one split horizontal split prisms. One area where I really value them is in low light where it's hard to make out sharpness but I can still line up things. How well does the EE-S do in the dark?
Which screen is that? Is it similar to this:

Focusing Screen

10-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's diagonal. That one also looks interesting.

You can see it here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/72081-jinfinanc...reen-good.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/109482-ha...infinance.html
10-13-2011, 03:55 PM   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I'm quite curious to try one out after many people have said they like them better than a split-prism. However, I've found my dual-diagonal split prism so much easier than one split horizontal split prisms. One area where I really value them is in low light where it's hard to make out sharpness but I can still line up things. How well does the EE-S do in the dark?
Ok, I've made some tests, and I'm able to focus quite accurately in some really ridiculous low light levels...
Using my Samyang 85/1.4, I can get a sharp focus in scenes metered as low as 1/5, f/1.4, iso 2000 (in a room lit only by a LCD screen). That's -1Ev (and it was a whitish target, so make it -2Ev for a proper exposure)... Of course, the target must be still, and you have to concentrate to nail it right.

But it's way better than what the stock screen is capable of, IMO.
10-15-2011, 10:14 AM   #139

I plan on cutting an Ee-S for my K-x. Are there any issues that would prevent this from working on a K-x?

No one's mentioned fitting the screen for their K-x in this thread, and focusingscreens.com doesn't have an S-type screen for the K-x, so I was wondering if there's a problem that won't allow a K-x to use this screen.

10-15-2011, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #140
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, this is the K5 forum, so maybe that's why...
But I'm pretty sure it will work just fine on a Kx. I had one briefly (6 months) alongside a K7 last year, and it was a neat little package! I had to sell both to buy the K5, but I still borrow my father's Kx from time to time as a 2nd body on assignments.

For information (should anyone ask the question) : I did try the EE-S screen in a MZ-6 film camera. Funnily, it was only able to depict a f/2 DoF on 24x36... But it was a good deal better than the stock screen.
10-17-2011, 04:19 AM - 1 Like   #141
Forum Member

I had the Ec-B in the D700 and later used an Ec-S there. Now I got myself a K3 and Ec-S screen for the K5 and will stick with the latter one. Really nice, as expected.
10-17-2011, 07:26 AM   #142

So, after having some time playing around with my Pentax K 50mm f/1.2 I am really impressed by the ee-S screen. It makes the old lens come alive again as getting perfect focus is even at f/1.2 is far from difficult, whereas it was just a game of luck with the original screen (or the focus confirmation).

Really excellent!

10-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #143

Thanks, dla.

Are the Ec-S, EF-S, Eg-S, etc. definitely the same as the Ee-S, but with markings?

kanzlr, on your Ec-S, does the entire have the matte surface, or are the areas within the circles a different surface? Also, how dark/defined are the circles on the screen?

QuoteOriginally posted by kanzlr Quote
I had the Ec-B in the D700 and later used an Ec-S there. Now I got myself a K3 and Ec-S screen for the K5 and will stick with the latter one. Really nice, as expected.
10-18-2011, 10:30 PM - 1 Like   #144
Forum Member

the entire surface is a contrasty matte. very nice.
the markings are the same as on a standard Pentax screen. they are just etched in so they are bright/clear whereas the matte is...matte
10-19-2011, 09:42 AM - 2 Likes   #145
Veteran Member

I would have bought the plain screen had it been available, but I ended up with the AF area markings and I'm glad I did. They are completely unobtrusive, as they are etched clear, not black, in fact sometimes they all but disappear. I have been using them as compositional "reminders."
10-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #146
Pentaxian

I recieved mine from Focusing Screen (Taiwan) today and just finished installing it. I bought the version with AF markings, and I agree with DogLover that it seems to be the preferable choice.
I have only been able to test it in artificial room-light, but so far it seems to be everything others have written in this thread. I got my loved A* 85mm back!
When changing matte screens, I also replaced the original copper shim with a thinner plastic one supplied by Focusing Screen. Spot on at first try!
Iv'e got nothing but praise for Deki_Kuo, who runs Focusing Screen in Taiwan. Not only nice to be able to buy the screen custom made, he also supplied a set of tools, rubber fingertips "condoms", and shims of different thickness'. He also provides very good instructions on how to do the actual change and focus adjustment with shims on his homepage. Communication was first class, and the shipment was done with trackable shipment number. This has been a good day for me! :-)

Shameless promotion, but he's really worth it! http://www.focusingscreen.com/

Kjell

Last edited by bilybianca; 10-19-2011 at 02:00 PM.
10-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #147
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Ok, I've made some tests, and I'm able to focus quite accurately in some really ridiculous low light levels...
Using my Samyang 85/1.4, I can get a sharp focus in scenes metered as low as 1/5, f/1.4, iso 2000 (in a room lit only by a LCD screen). That's -1Ev (and it was a whitish target, so make it -2Ev for a proper exposure)... Of course, the target must be still, and you have to concentrate to nail it right.

But it's way better than what the stock screen is capable of, IMO.
Thanks. I'd love to hear more opinions on dual diagonal split-prism to ee-S. Better metering sounds like fun.
10-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #148
Pentaxian

Thanks. I'd love to hear more opinions on dual diagonal split-prism to ee-S. Better metering sounds like fun.
I don't have the ee-S yet, but I can say with complete confidence that metering using the K-5 and the Travor dual-diagonal split-prism screen was horrible. It required up to -2 Ev compensation in some cases.

It was bad enough that I went back to the stock screen, and now rely on live view for focusing (at f/1.2, at least -- smaller apertures are more forgiving and I can use the viewfinder and focus confirmation).
10-19-2011, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #149
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I actually tried a dual split in my (now sold) K7, some time ago (after trying two or three "single" splits, one of them I even cut myself from a MZ-m screen)... Frankly, I kept it maybe 2 days, and it went off to be replaced by the infamous ME-60 blank screen, which was a joy to use with its virginal nakedness, but still did not help focusing (same f/2 limit as the stock screen).

First problem in my case is that I do mainly portraits, and splits are nearly useless on faces (really hard to judge perfect focus on an eye using splits, IMO). For landscapes, cityscapes, or macro work, splits are really neat (and maybe better than the EE-S), but faces? Eeeerk. I focused faster and more accurately using the stock screen!

Second problem is that I'm addicted to fast lenses, and the slightest recomposition can really throw your focus off when using the sigma 30/1.4 or even the FA50/1.4, so a split is, again, of no help here (or they should make a two splits screen, one split on each 1/3rd line).

That, and they don't help stop-down metering at all, so using legacy lenses stays a major pain (and all your lenses meter differently)...
10-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #150
Pentaxian

I'd just like to say a big THANKS to dlacouture and others in this thread, who pointed out this whole issue, and thus brought back the joy of using my A* 85mm lens. It used to be my best lens, and now it is again!

Kjell