Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2011, 12:24 AM   #196
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks Guys, That link is handy. So Nuff, from having tried a couple of types you prefer one without any aids. So does it help you manual focus just by virtue of being clearer/brighter? and you gauge the overall image?

I have quite a range of lenses from fast 50mm primes to tele zooms which are not so fast. I'd like to have a good compromise where I can get use from all of them. So far all work well with the stock screen but one day my eyes will fail me and I'll need help, as it is I miss a few now due to being oof once I've checked the image on the computer.

11-25-2011, 12:42 AM - 1 Like   #197
Veteran Member

I've not tried the one without aids, I've just ordered it couple of days ago and it might be couple of weeks before I get it.

The reason I want the ee-S screen is because it's supposed to show DOF better, so it should be better for composing. At least that's my thinking.
I think if your eyes are going to get bad, you might want to invest into a screen with focusing aids, even if it's not as accurate, it should show weather something is in focus a lot better.
A lot of it is preference, you might want to get couple of screens and compare them and sell the one you are not interested in.

Also the ee-S screen might be quiet dark with slower lenses. in that case it might not be a good screen for you.
11-25-2011, 01:47 AM - 1 Like   #198
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As I said before : from my measurements, the EE-S screen is in fact brighter with anything slower than f/4... That's why it performs brilliantly in stop-down metering, while the stock screen (and the vast majority of 3rd-party screens out there) will cause severe overexposure (up to nearly +3Ev with the K10/K20 screens) due to their drastic darkening at "small" apertures (talking from f/5.6 to f/16 here)...
11-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #199
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmm, I ordered the S-screen because I wanted to make better use of my old M50 f/1.7 - but even before I have received the screen I've gone ahead and acquired two more lenses... That's not according to plan

But that A50 f/1.7 was too sweet to let slip. And everyone needs a 28mm, right? Looks like my new RMC Tokina 28 f/2.8 is actually very sharp.

So be ware: A new matte might well cost you more than the ~80 bucks focusingscreen charge you

Well, now I really need that new screen.

11-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #200
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Hmm, I ordered the S-screen because I wanted to make better use of my old M50 f/1.7 - but even before I have received the screen I've gone ahead and acquired two more lenses... That's not according to plan

But that A50 f/1.7 was too sweet to let slip. And everyone needs a 28mm, right? Looks like my new RMC Tokina 28 f/2.8 is actually very sharp.

So be ware: A new matte might well cost you more than the ~80 bucks focusingscreen charge you

Well, now I really need that new screen.

I know what you mean, of my uummm lets say quite a few lenses. 85% are manuals.
11-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #201
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
why don't we form a group to request a bulk order of S type focusing screens made for the K5 instead of individuals trying to order Ee-s Canon screens? If enough of us pool together, perhaps they would fill a larger order for our group!
11-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #202
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
why don't we form a group to request a bulk order of S type focusing screens made for the K5 instead of individuals trying to order Ee-s Canon screens? If enough of us pool together, perhaps they would fill a larger order for our group!

Good thought. I'd be in it.

11-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #203
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like that idea. Count me in too!
11-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #204
Veteran Member

From whom? Deki's problem is getting the screens himself in order to modify them. Canon is the only original source, IFAIK, and they definitely aren't going to cut some to fit a K5. Ideally, Katzeye needs to figure out how to make s-type screens. Frankly, if they don't do something along those lines, their business will be taking a hit now that word has gotten out about "a better mousetrap".
11-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #205
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
From whom? Deki's problem is getting the screens himself in order to modify them. .
Surely wouldn't hurt for someone to put the proposition to him, if we could guarantee a definate order number. He might have ways to make a bulk order. I don't know the guy or how his operation works but nothing ventured nothing gained.
11-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #206
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Or just buy them from focusingscreen.com:
Type-S Screen for Pentax K-5
As mentioned earlier in this thread, this is the EE-S screen cut down to fit the K-5. The price is more than 2x what the EE-S costs ($34.95 USD at Adorama), but at least there is no risk of DIY damage

Steve
11-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #207
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Or just buy them from focusingscreen.com:
Type-S Screen for Pentax K-5
As mentioned earlier in this thread, this is the EE-S screen cut down to fit the K-5. The price is more than 2x what the EE-S costs ($34.95 USD at Adorama), but at least there is no risk of DIY damage

Steve
Well, the problem is that you can't order as long as they're out of stock... So I guess the idea is to try to get focusingscreen.com to order a larger batch of screens than they normally do.

For my own part, I just got confirmation that my screen is on the way
12-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #208
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mine just came in today. Shipping took less than a week. It is straight up amazing!!!! I could have probably taken it with or without the grid. Looks like they have some more in stock if you are looking.
12-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #209
Pentaxian

If somebody could figure out the laser specs and find a U.S.-based cutter, we could all probably get this done faster and cheaper.
12-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #210
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
If somebody could figure out the laser specs and find a U.S.-based cutter, we could all probably get this done faster and cheaper.
Cheaper, maybe (not much, though), but I doubt if you could get it done faster, as long as they're in stock, and it's not always a slam dunk to find the raw Canon screens in stock on your own, either. Mine took 5 days to arrive from Deki, including a weekend.