Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 77 Likes Search this Thread
12-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #211
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ordered mine just minutes ago, right afterI checked the stock and there isn't even a listing for the K5 S Type. I got lucky.

12-01-2011, 04:16 PM   #212
Pentaxian

I've had no trouble finding them listed in-stock at various online places, although I haven't actually ordered one yet. My thinking was if we could nail down an easy place to have them cut at a set price (maybe we'd have to do them in batches of a dozen or whatever) -- lots of people have those laser machines, I'm sure we could find someone to do it fairly cheap -- then people could acquire whatever screen they wanted to use on their own and it would cost pennies to mail it to a point man near the laser cutter who would get them cut and mail them back. I just have no clue about creating a spec file for the laser. Could be a solution for U.S.-based folks, and if it is going to take months waiting on the focusing screen guy...
12-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #213
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I've had no trouble finding them listed in-stock at various online places, although I haven't actually ordered one yet. My thinking was if we could nail down an easy place to have them cut at a set price (maybe we'd have to do them in batches of a dozen or whatever) -- lots of people have those laser machines, I'm sure we could find someone to do it fairly cheap -- then people could acquire whatever screen they wanted to use on their own and it would cost pennies to mail it to a point man near the laser cutter who would get them cut and mail them back. I just have no clue about creating a spec file for the laser. Could be a solution for U.S.-based folks, and if it is going to take months waiting on the focusing screen guy...
I think you're making this way more complicated than it is. I haven't heard of anybody having to wait for months. A smidge of patience is all that's required. What you're suggesting involves a lot of hoops to jump through, and wouldn't end up being much cheaper, if any.
12-02-2011, 12:12 AM   #214
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I think you're making this way more complicated than it is. I haven't heard of anybody having to wait for months. A smidge of patience is all that's required. What you're suggesting involves a lot of hoops to jump through, and wouldn't end up being much cheaper, if any.
Agreed. I ordered mine last weekend and will drop by the post office later today to pick it up.

Just hope I'll have time to fit it (and test it!) this weekend... Can't wait

But by all means, if someone's able and willing to organise other ways that would be great. More options is always good.

12-02-2011, 12:54 AM   #215
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I received mine as well...

I know that one person has posted about the shimming procedures. It would be interesting to get more feedback on how others are doing it. My package of shims contains one thicker shim with special offsets, and three thinner ones that are just rectangles. Are the thinner ones all the same thickness? Anyway, I am just interested if anyone has more info about installation tips.
12-02-2011, 02:37 AM   #216

Just saw that there were two in stock, so ordered one. I was a little shocked to see the postage was more than $14, and of course it added import duty for the UK as well - $100 altogether.
Still, I need one of these
12-02-2011, 07:22 AM   #217
Veteran Member

I've received mine today and I've to say, it's nice. It shows the depth of field very clearly. I'm still not sure if someone has vision problems (I do, but they are easily corrected by contacts) that they will be able to see it clearly without any focusing aids.

12-02-2011, 07:33 AM   #218
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by karma mechanic Quote
I was a little shocked to see the postage was more than $14
Yeah, but that's fast shipping. Usually ordering anything from a seller in Asia takes forever, but these ship extremely fast. I'll gladly pay that.
12-02-2011, 07:42 AM   #219
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
I know that one person has posted about the shimming procedures. It would be interesting to get more feedback on how others are doing it. My package of shims contains one thicker shim with special offsets, and three thinner ones that are just rectangles. Are the thinner ones all the same thickness? Anyway, I am just interested if anyone has more info about installation tips.
I already had some genuine Pentax shims, so I didn't study the ones Deki sent too hard, but that was my impression, that there were several of the same size that you could stack if need be. The general consensus has been that you need a .2-size shim, though mine required .15. Not sure if the plastic ones are labeled with the size, but if not, just try one at a time until it's right. Technically, I guess you want to start with the one, thicker shim and then add the smaller ones if you need them. The thick one may be all you need. It's more tedious than difficult. Just put the shim in, button it back up and try it. If it's off, make your adjustments. A little time spent getting it right will pay dividends for as long as you have the camera.
12-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #220
Veteran Member

By the way, with mine I needed to take out the metal shim and install the thick plastic one in it's place. It wasn't quiet right, so I've installed another thinner one, but then it focused too much the other way. I've decided just to stick with the 1 thick plastic shim.
12-02-2011, 08:08 AM   #221
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
By the way, with mine I needed to take out the metal shim and install the thick plastic one in it's place. It wasn't quiet right, so I've installed another thinner one, but then it focused too much the other way. I've decided just to stick with the 1 thick plastic shim.
You might try 2 of the thin ones, if they are even usable without the thick one.
12-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #222
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just saw that there were two in stock, so ordered one. I was a little shocked to see the postage was more than $14, and of course it added import duty for the UK as well - $100 altogether.
Still, I need one of these
You'll also get stung for 20% UK VAT on the total value, no import duty since the value including postage is under £135 and a £13.50 Parcelforce 'handling charge' !
12-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #223
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I ordered mine from focusingscreen and it did not come with shims, but I installed it anywise and the focus is dead on.
12-02-2011, 08:38 AM   #224

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
You'll also get stung for 20% UK VAT on the total value, no import duty since the value including postage is under £135 and a £13.50 Parcelforce 'handling charge' !
It wasn't import duty that was added, it was tax, my mistake.

Subtotal $82.89 USD
Postage and packing $14.26 USD
Tax (3.400%) $3.30 USD
Total $100.45 USD

So about £66 + £13 + £13.50 = about £92. Ouch!

It's a good job I need one of those, or I'd be having second thoughts!
12-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #225
Veteran Member

It wasn't import duty that was added, it was tax, my mistake.

Subtotal $82.89 USD
Postage and packing $14.26 USD
Tax (3.400%) $3.30 USD
Total $100.45 USD

So about £66 + £13 + £13.50 = about £92. Ouch!

It's a good job I need one of those, or I'd be having second thoughts!
It's still considerably cheaper than a Katzeye. Those of us that have bought Katzeyes in the past consider this a bargain!