Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2011, 07:33 AM   #241
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
I opened the dxf , it measures 26.0002 mm x 17.8999 mm and the sides are perpendicular (measured at 90.0000degrees)

The 4 chamfered corners aren't absolutely perfectly uniform (~ < 0.1mm out) but this shouldn't make a difference
Thanks for that. It seems that Illustrator can't keep the size straight when it imports, which is what I find when I get files from other places. And the angling of the corners isn't the most precise, but checking my screen the angle in the corners is barely even noticeable. So if someone can use these files, have at 'er.

12-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #242
Pentaxian

Guys - before I take plunge with the Canon screen, since I have a lot of old Pentax SLR bodies, you name it I think I have it , is there a particular model that I can recycle its focus screen that would give me similar results provided by Canon ee-S?
12-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #243
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
It worked out nicely, first I cut a hole in a DVD-disc to use as a fixture for the Canon screen, then I milled out the K5-screen. It fitted perfectly, it does front focus though so I need to get some thinner shims.

This is what is left.
Nice job! What did you use to cut the screen?
12-05-2011, 03:45 PM   #244
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
why don't we form a group to request a bulk order of S type focusing screens made for the K5 instead of individuals trying to order Ee-s Canon screens? If enough of us pool together, perhaps they would fill a larger order for our group!
Get me in too !

JP

12-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #245
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there a Focusing Screen's for dummies tutorial out there...
12-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #246

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
Answer?
12-06-2011, 01:51 AM - 1 Like   #247
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
Not that I know of... I think this thread covers quite a lot.

But what are you looking for?
* What kind of focusing screens are there, and what's the difference?
- Umm, lots? But people seem to be very happy with Canon ee-S and ec-A (have a look here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/165613-great-focus...evelation.html)
- Some people prefer split-screens, but others say they're not very good with slow lenses and in low-light situations.
- Also take a look at the vendor-list below. (Well, two still make a list, right?)

* How to change your screen?
- Do a search on youtube, better than:
- --Pentax K5/K7/K10D/K20D/ISTD Focusing Screen Installation Instruction--

* How to cut one to fit your camera?
- I've seen a few people here on the forums having done it.

* Who sell ready-cut screens?
- Focusing Screen
- Pentax DSLRs - KatzEye Optics
- Any more?

12-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #248
Inactive Account

I got my ee-S, fast shipping from Taiwan. I'm pleasantly surprised at how well the product is packaged, includes all tools necessary to install.

This is my first DSLR and I know nuts about focusing screen until I read this thread. It's very simple actually, dummy like me can get it done in 10min.

Had hard time MF using the stock screen so bought this to try, I know I can trust you guys here. I never expect focusing screen can have such big difference, really happy with the 'mod' to my K5. I finally understand what it meant by the plane in focus 'pop' out at me. I'm lucky to have no FF or BF issues, focus is spot on.

The only complain is the darker frame at big aperture as mentioned here and the biggest problem is the itch to buy more MF lens!
12-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #249
Forum Member

Just ordered an ee-s screen to cut down for my kx... excited that it will be better/brighter than my current cut down me super screen!
12-08-2011, 11:41 PM   #250
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've got my Katzeye in the mail today but still to get it fitted.
12-09-2011, 01:45 AM   #251
Site Supporter

I have an eg-s on the way (the variant of the ee-s for the 5DII), and I'm having it cut out by a local laser company for $20. So $40 from eBay with free shipping and $20 for the setup fee to have it cut. Pretty excited!
12-09-2011, 03:04 AM   #252
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Nice job! What did you use to cut the screen?
I used a small "simple" home built CNC-mill, so once it was all setup it was cut automatically.
12-09-2011, 05:15 AM   #253
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Guys - before I take plunge with the Canon screen, since I have a lot of old Pentax SLR bodies, you name it I think I have it , is there a particular model that I can recycle its focus screen that would give me similar results provided by Canon ee-S?
Anyone?
12-09-2011, 12:21 PM   #254

Recieved s type from focusingscreen.com, its really amazing, can easily manual focus with any lens i have. metering is correct with any aperture settings with manual k or screwmount lens. Compared to old film pentax bodies that i have (ME super, pz-1p, zx-l) ee-S screen is much better.
12-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #255
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dave216 Quote
Recieved s type from focusingscreen.com, its really amazing, can easily manual focus with any lens i have. metering is correct with any aperture settings with manual k or screwmount lens. Compared to old film pentax bodies that i have (ME super, pz-1p, zx-l) ee-S screen is much better.
Dave,

I am just about to order that same screen.

Did you have to do any fine adjustment with shims, etc ... ?
I know zip-all about fidling in a camera ... !

Your reply would be appreciated.

JP