Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 77 Likes Search this Thread
12-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #286
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
I have a pretty beat up Canon AT-1 laying around and I like the focusing screen a lot. It has the split prism. Does any know which focusing screen (model number) is it and would I be able fit in in my K20D? I guess I would have to cut it though.
You just have to cut it to size, any 135 format screen should work. You will need a micrometer or a vernier caliper to take some accurate measurements if you don't want to fiddle with shims too much later on. Canon AE-1P was reputed to have the brightest screen of the A series camera line, honestly I couldn't tell you if that's true or not since it's been so long since I had the AE-1P. I bought an old stock AE-1P split prism focus screen that I was going to use with my K20D but I think I will reserve it for the K-5 when I do finally upgrade.

12-18-2011, 12:57 PM   #287

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
sakle2k -- how's that dremel work for cutting? Did it create heat and melt it a bit or it was a clean cut? (i.e. how close to the actual line can you get safely?)
The Dremel worked great. Mine has a variable RPM switch that I set to maybe 1/3 power and found that it cut very clean. Any waste created by the Dremel that didn't turn to dust could just be rubbed off of the cut area with your finger.

I could have gotten closer to the line than I did, but since the Dremel is handheld it's easy to slip. I didn't want to take a chance, so I gave the line a pretty wide berth. Sanding takes a while but is a lot more forgiving.
12-18-2011, 07:40 PM   #288
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
You just have to cut it to size, any 135 format screen should work. You will need a micrometer or a vernier caliper to take some accurate measurements if you don't want to fiddle with shims too much later on. Canon AE-1P was reputed to have the brightest screen of the A series camera line, honestly I couldn't tell you if that's true or not since it's been so long since I had the AE-1P. I bought an old stock AE-1P split prism focus screen that I was going to use with my K20D but I think I will reserve it for the K-5 when I do finally upgrade.
Thanks but I have the Canon AT-1, is it the same as the AE-1P?
12-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #289
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sakle2k Quote
Sorry about that vanyagor, should be good to go now.
Still no pictures, why not just post as attachments as per the forum recommended way?

12-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #290
Pentaxian

I see the pictures (and could earlier too) -- something blocking them for you?
12-18-2011, 11:04 PM   #291
Forum Member

I just noticed this thread and thought I should mention: I have previously used the default K5 screen, a split hemisphere with high contrast micro-prism collar screen, and now have a completely unmarked high contrast screen, which I think I read above was probably cut from a canon screen. Both of the latter are from focusingscreens.com - you may need to specifically request this type of screen, as they usually only make a couple at a time, and don't list them on their products page if they are out of stock.
Obviously it's fairly essential for fast glass, but in general I am finding the 'naked' high contrast to be really nice to use.
So I guess I am adding an 'Aye!' to the high contrast screen votes.
12-18-2011, 11:26 PM   #292
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BETLOG Quote
I just noticed this thread and thought I should mention: I have previously used the default K5 screen, a split hemisphere with high contrast micro-prism collar screen, and now have a completely unmarked high contrast screen, which I think I read above was probably cut from a canon screen. Both of the latter are from focusingscreens.com - you may need to specifically request this type of screen, as they usually only make a couple at a time, and don't list them on their products page if they are out of stock.
Obviously it's fairly essential for fast glass, but in general I am finding the 'naked' high contrast to be really nice to use.
So I guess I am adding an 'Aye!' to the high contrast screen votes.
That's what this entire thread is about - the "naked" high contrast Canon EE-S screen, and getting them from focusingscreen.com. You must not have read the last several pages.

12-19-2011, 12:04 AM   #293
Forum Member

Yes... I noticed that... which is why i'm posting... to say it's a good thing.
\:|
12-19-2011, 03:11 PM   #294
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Received mine today, an easy fit. A lot brighter and gives a much better idea of OOF areas at wide apertures... if not the full story for f1.2 OOF highlights, it is a lot better than the stock screen.

An easy enough fit, came with shims but I think the achieved performance with the Pentax standard one loads better than with the stock screen - and probably good enough for me anyway!
12-19-2011, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #295
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just received my focusing screen and WOW! I can manually focus way more accurately and faster than before, particularly with my Tenpa 1.36x enlarger. It's almost as fast as autofocus for stationary objects, so call me impressed!

It's just amazing what it did for my Vivitar (Samyang) 85mm F1.4 lens. I can actually hit focus where I want repeatedly now, even at F1.4. Now my K5 is just perfect for my uses and as easy to focus as my Sony NEX with focus peaking.

Really, a must-have for fast glass!
12-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #296
Veteran Member

Original Poster
K6-III : Glad to know you're loving it! I'm waiting for my Tempa 1.36x, myself... Must be a killer combo!

I'll do some comparison between the Tempa, the O-ME53 and the stock viewfinder as soon as I get it...
12-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #297
Veteran Member

I've to say, the ee-S screen can get quiet dark at night, even with my 31mm f1.8. Still, it's great screen and it shows the out of focus areas the way they are supposed to be. I can even give the camera to my gf who couldn't care less about photography (her only requirement is for the photo to be taken) and even she can tell if something is in focus or out of focus.
12-20-2011, 11:24 AM   #298
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, 1 week from submitting an order with focusingscreen.com and I have the screen, Taiwan to USA! Installed on my K10D with one of the plastic shims to get correct focus (in place of the Post-it note shims I was using before with the stock screen). I can't use the Tenpa as I am an eyeglasses wearer, but with the O-ME53 and my new S-type screen I am excited to see what my results will be. Thanks for all the great info in this thread, and especially to dlacouture for kicking this trend off!

[With apologies for intruding with my K10D here, but there's really no reason this thread belongs in the K-5 forum.]

Last edited by baro-nite; 12-20-2011 at 02:52 PM. Reason: minor correction
12-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #299
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Baro-nite, thanks! And you're entirely right, I've made a mistake posting this thread here, instead of over at the Accessories forum...

Strange thing is that my very first post about the EE-S was made in the Accessories section, to ask for opinions about this screen before buying one...

If a moderator could move this thread over there... Adam?
12-20-2011, 11:06 PM   #300
Site Supporter

I had my Eg-S screen cut out the other day by a jewelrymaker in town who had an Epilog laser cutter. I just gave her an Adobe Illustrator template and the focusing screen and it was cut out in a matter of seconds. In total the whole shebang cost me $60.

The brightness of the screen wasn't much better than the ebay split screen I had installed earlier, but good god, the DOF rendering is amazing! I think the accuracy of the focusing depends on your level of visual acuity; I find this screen easy to focus with, but my dad still swears by the old microprism spot and split prism.