QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Yes, exactly.
Thanks, meat.

12-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #317
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Initially (only had it for two days) the S screen is darker at F (300mm2.8+ 1.7 AF tc) 4.5-5 than the stock screen. But, big but, the stock screen loses detail, while the S screen just darkens and maintains the detail. The stock screen in low light with a moderately fast lens makes it very difficult to see focus at all. This one seems better. In a couple of weeks I will have a firmer opinion on the matter.
Exactly! The stock screen, while maybe a tad brighter with "standard" apertures (we're talking about 0.5Ev or 1Ev here, so not really meaningful), becomes rapidly grainy and coarse in low-light, and so is really unreliable in such conditions.
The EE-S remains clear and well defined even in low-light.

Now, You have to keep in mind that this is valid only for apertures between f/1.4 and f/4.5, roughly... Anything outside this range, and the EE-S will be on par with the stock screen (if not brighter)!
12-22-2011, 11:42 PM   #318

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Exactly! The stock screen, while maybe a tad brighter with "standard" apertures (we're talking about 0.5Ev or 1Ev here, so not really meaningful), becomes rapidly grainy and coarse in low-light, and so is really unreliable in such conditions.
The EE-S remains clear and well defined even in low-light.

Now, You have to keep in mind that this is valid only for apertures between f/1.4 and f/4.5, roughly... Anything outside this range, and the EE-S will be on par with the stock screen (if not brighter)!
My favorite lens is the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 100mm F/4 Macro. I've found that the small maximum aperture causes the split-ring focus screen in my ME Super to black in anything except bright light. Part of what's holding me back about getting a K5 is the thought that this lens would be too hard to focus on it, as I have a similar problem on my K100d Super. I know this thread has discussed mostly focusing large aperture lenses, but would the EE-S screen improve the ability to focus at small apertures? If not, any suggestions on a screen that would?
12-23-2011, 04:48 AM   #319
Veteran Member

Just got mine in the mail (fast! ). Enclosed is a snap of what was in the pacakge (#1), and two crops of the same: a set of clear plastic shims (#2) and another plastic baggie with something that looks like as shim as well (#3). Based on what I have read here I expected #2 (to replace the stock shim with a 0.20mm one as a first approximation) but I'm not sure what #3 is actually for. Also with the shims from set #2, these might be of different thicknesses but it might be hard to tell what is what without a micrometer or at least a quality vernier caliper, so are these in fact of different thicknesses and is there a neat way to tell them apart?

The kit consists of:

- instruction sheet (single A4, folded in the picture, refers to the web page, does not quite explain #3)
- metal tweezers
- finger 'condoms'
- what looks like a single shim (#3) in a plastic baggie
- set of clear plastic shims (#2) in a plastic baggie
- the focus screen itself (in a plastic baggie) in what appears to be the orginal Canon box, this also has a tool in it

Last edited by jolepp; 03-03-2017 at 02:38 AM.
12-23-2011, 06:01 AM   #320
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
#3 are pads in case the provided shims don't include a perfect match. Use as needed. Edit: that is, use a pad in addition to a shim, if needed.

Edit again: Taking a closer look at your photos, I see that what I thought were pads are actually shims. I got pads, no shims, but that was for a K10D. I just kept the stock shim and added a pad. So from here it looks as though you have two different types of shims. Are the clear ones fairly rigid? The pads I got are flexible.

Last edited by baro-nite; 12-23-2011 at 07:34 AM. Reason: clarification; correction
12-23-2011, 07:28 AM   #321
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Is that a metal shim?
Man, I'm so totally envious! Really beats the cr@p out of my "scotch tape" shims!
Damn Pentax France for being totally useless (they don't even "know" about these shims!).
12-23-2011, 08:25 AM   #322
Pentaxian

It isn't metal. It is a stiff plastic, similar to screen protector material.

12-23-2011, 08:39 AM   #323
Veteran Member

I think the lone shim is plastic as well, could be that 'coppertone' on the edges is there so that one can tell it apert from the others, but then Focusingscreen.com's instruction page (here) mentions 0.25mm right under the picture of both kinds of shims (?). Be that as may it seems that both kinds of plastic shims result in a bit of back focus for me while the stock metal shim gives a bit of front focus with the Porst 55mm 1:1.2. I think what I need is something like 0.3mm.

An El-Cheapo vernier caliper would seem to vouch for all the shims that came with the screen to be 0.25mm while the stock would be 0.4mm (but then the caliper is rather crappy and this would be a micrometer job anyway).

Last edited by jolepp; 12-25-2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: correction
12-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #324
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmm -- odd that they would send you 3 or more shims of the same thickness. Well, I successfully use the Post-It "shim" atop the stock shim when I was still using the stock screen.
12-23-2011, 09:10 AM   #325
Veteran Member

Well, anyways, the screen itself is *good*, it reveals the DOF of my Porst 55 1:1.2 and the M 50 1:1.4 fully open rather nicely .
12-23-2011, 04:12 PM   #326
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
but I'm not sure what #3 is actually for
On my K-7 I had to take out the factory metal shim and use the '#3' shim instead to get a perfect focus alignment.

Regarding exposure - contrary to what was said earlier on in this thread, I'd found that with slower auto lenses (f3.5 - f5.6, e.g. kit 18-55mm etc.) I have to overexpose by roughly +1 EV when metering through the viewfinder. Something to watch out for, if you can't be ar*ed to swap the screen every time you change a lens.
12-23-2011, 11:27 PM   #327
Pentaxian

A bit more experience with long lenses. I use a Tamron 300mm 2.8 with a 1.7 af tc. I would definitely recommend this screen.
12-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #328
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Regarding low-light focus, I've made my usual crop of "kids by the Xmas tree" photos, and focus is a treat even in low-light conditions (I mean, 6400iso, f/1.4, 1/60, here), whereas AF is really struggling...

KH, that does not strikes me as strange : the stock focus screen starts overexposing by f/5.6 (and goes wild at F/11), so using the EE-S with a f/5.6 lens will indeed "underexpose" compared to the stock screen...
12-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #329
Pentaxian

Tried my 60-300mm tamron which is f5.4 zoomed. The screen is slightly darker than the stock, not much, but no coarseness. I don't think it would be worth getting one for slower lenses, but it is as good or slightly better than the stock one. In other words, I won't be swapping lenses and forced to swap focus screens. With the stock screen I was typically -2/3-1/3 ev exposure adjustment. Now with my 2.8 I had it at 0 and things came out slightly underexposed., and with the slower lens I could probably go +1/3 at least.
12-26-2011, 07:05 AM   #330
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
KH, that does not strikes me as strange : the stock focus screen starts overexposing by f/5.6 (and goes wild at F/11), so using the EE-S with a f/5.6 lens will indeed "underexpose" compared to the stock screen...
This is for example with the kit 18-55 lens. Shooting into a white balance lens cap and comparing viewfinder metering vs LV vs analysing the RAW file - i.e. not comparing the EE-S to the stock screen. On a K-7 the EE-S with viewfinder metering through a selection of f3.5 to f5.6 lenses the EE-S consistently underexposes by about a stop (+/- half a stop), which agrees with the perceived darker viewfinder image with these lenses. Real life tests confirm this. Just something to watch out for.