Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #361
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shims

In reviewing posts from a week ago it was mentioned that the adding or changing of shims affects the focus of the viewfinder and has nothing to do with the sensor. My question is if the shims "adjust" the focus in the viewfinder why can't the diopter adjustment be used to accomplish this issue?

ATLROB

01-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #362
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Because the image is already formed onto the screen's surface. The focus screen acts in fact as a replacement for the sensor, and all you see through the viewfinder is in fact the image formed on the screen's ground surface (located on the face pointing toward the prism).

That's why shimming the screen 1) is important with regard to the actual sensor location, and 2) varies from one screen to another (the stock screen and the EE-S screen being different in materials and thickness, they need different shims).
01-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #363
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atlrob Quote
In reviewing posts from a week ago it was mentioned that the adding or changing of shims affects the focus of the viewfinder and has nothing to do with the sensor. My question is if the shims "adjust" the focus in the viewfinder why can't the diopter adjustment be used to accomplish this issue?

ATLROB
I suppose the purpose of the shim is to place the ground surface of the focus screen so that the length of the optical path via the mirror to is the same as that of the direct one the image sensor when the mirror is up, while the diopter adjustment affects the placement of the image falling to the retina the eye.
01-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #364

This is great!

I want to order a screen and get it cut locally. Can anyone provide a DXF or similar file for the K-r size? Perhaps the person running the cutter can manage if I just provide dimensions. I think K-r size is the same as K-x, K100D, K100D Super, K110D, K200D. Would they be able to precisely center the piece, so the etch marks end up perfectly centered?

01-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #365
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kitty Quote
This is great!

I want to order a screen and get it cut locally. Can anyone provide a DXF or similar file for the K-r size? Perhaps the person running the cutter can manage if I just provide dimensions. I think K-r size is the same as K-x, K100D, K100D Super, K110D, K200D. Would they be able to precisely center the piece, so the etch marks end up perfectly centered?
If you can give exact dimensions for a K-r screen I can make you a file. I can't find a link to an image of one, like I did with the K-5 screen, so the position of the tab would be a guess.
01-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #366

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Finally, managed to cut it down to size (for my Pentax KM ) and fine-tuned using sandpaper (100grit).

Also, I removed the metal shim from the camera and used a thin strip of electrical tape on both (the long) side of the screen to calibrate focus - perfect.

Last edited by Salagubang; 01-10-2012 at 06:52 PM.
01-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #367

Great work guys!
I read the entire thread, and realized where is the problem with my manual focus disappointment so far. I'm not brand-minded, so I must say the k-5's stock focus screen is very disappointing. I had canons and nikons before, and it's a pity to say that canon 400d have a better focus screen than k-5, I've never had so much difficulties focusing with manual 50 1.4 FD lens on the canon(despite the smaller viewfinder) than with 50 m 1.7 and k-5 (for those who are not familiar with canons, 400d is entry level).
At one point I was sure that my camera is not properly calibrated in some way, it is pure luck to achieve good focus with the 1.7, and then I started to look for focus screen upgrade. After reading this thread everything came to place, I was suspecting the focus screen earlier. Observing the graining in low light, I started to doubt the focus screen quality, but this thread explains it all

I'm definitely going for an S screen now.
This is the most informative photographic equipment thread that I've read, great work!

I have just one question, I read at the middle of the thread that someone didn't receive the set of replacement shims from focus screen site, and most of you guys received them in the package. Do I have to order them separately or they should be in the package as a standard part of the bundle?

really enjoying the forum so far!

Last edited by danny_falin; 01-24-2012 at 12:15 PM.
01-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #368
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by danny_falin Quote
I have just one question, I read at the middle of the thread that someone didn't receive the set of replacement shims from focus screen site, and most of you guys received them in the package. Do I have to order them separately or they should be in the package as a standard part of the bundle?

really enjoying the forum so far!

They (I think 3 shims with different sizes) come in the package as part of the bundle.
01-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #369
Pentaxian

The focusscreen.com package has all the tools and shims required.
01-25-2012, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #370
Forum Member

Just installed the ee-s from focussingscreen.com(yesterday). On my two fast primes, the difference is really noticeable - brighter and clearer, somehow. On my slower AF-lenses, the VF is dark, not necessarily darker than the stockscreen, but still better somehow. More detailed? I will say this, though; installing it was easy. Installing it without any dust or scratchmarks was difficult...
01-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #371
Pentaxian

for those of you that have both Katzeye and EE-S. I just got a Katzeye for my K20D - is the ee-s screen really better?
01-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #372
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
for those of you that have both Katzeye and EE-S. I just got a Katzeye for my K20D - is the ee-s screen really better?
Yep, without question. In fact, would someone like to buy my Katzeye for K5/K7?
01-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #373
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Yep, without question. In fact, would someone like to buy my Katzeye for K5/K7?
Wow, the Canon is that good? I just installed the Katzeye into my K10D and I found it so easy to focus with my K50/1.2 at 1.2 now if you're saying that the one from Canon is better then I'm so impressed. I need to get one of those for my K7
01-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #374
Veteran Member

Original Poster
DogLover : dude, you just shot yourself in the foot, there!!! You would have been better off by first selling your katz, then touting the EE-S screen... Now you'll be stuck with an unused Katz!

Last edited by dlacouture; 01-28-2012 at 01:56 AM.
01-27-2012, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #375
Forum Member

In the general interests of objectivity someone who owns both should probably categorically quantify why one is better than the other.