Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #391
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
On the other hand I had to take my metal shim out and you the included plastic one. All K5s are different and the OEM screen isn't calibrated perfectly out of factory (not many people manual focus this day and age). So install it and see if it's off, then adjust as necessary. It doesn't get much simpler than that.
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I've still got this screen sitting in my drawer because I'm too much of a scaredy cat to install it. Yet I felt all brave when I ordered it ... as I sipped my red wine
I have gone through the shim/no shim routine on my K-r. I thought that I saw some posts a while back that mentioned removing the metal shim and replacing it with the thinner plastic shim on K-5's, too. I think that I even read that from the website. But every camera can be different. My K-r is sans shim with the S screen. However, I am sure the retainer clip mechanism is much different between the two models.

Yes, getting a little too distracted can be a problem for me as well, haha.

03-09-2012, 01:25 AM   #392
Forum Member

I've still got this screen sitting in my drawer because I'm too much of a scaredy cat to install it. Yet I felt all brave when I ordered it ... as I sipped my red wine

As i think i mentioned earlier; installing it is not difficult at all. Installing it without getting dust or tiny scrapes and dings on it is. I'd recommend, in hindsight, using some sort of small plastic or rubber tubes attached to the end of the tweezers which should take care of the risk of getting unwanted scrapes and dings on the screen. As for dust, well, you probzbly have a blower. I didn't. But installing it in itself is dead easy.
03-09-2012, 01:58 AM   #393
Veteran Member

I scratched my SS screen. I could not get it in no matter what I did and I'm tempted to put the stock screen back in anyway. I ended up getting a camera tech at a local store to fit it but after some use I am finding that I prefer LV for focusing and that a F/1.4 lens seems OK with the stock screen anyway, at least with my Sigma 50 F/1.4. My VF just seems a tad soft with this screen and I am not really sure if it's because I never changed the shim.

My advice: forget changing screens and just try LV and if that isn't cutting it for you then try the screen.
03-09-2012, 02:10 AM   #394
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-12-2013 at 01:42 AM. Reason: [deleted]
03-09-2012, 04:40 AM   #395
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi twitch, I'm a fellow Melbournian scaredy-cat - would you like to meet up to share the wine and the fear and 2 beautifully clear viewfinders?
03-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #396
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Suggestion...

I folded up a piece of lens cleaning paper and placed it over the mirror before I started. It is possible for the focussing screen retaining clip to drop all the way onto the mirror while you are performing the surgery and scratch the mirror.
03-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #397

I'm not sure if this has been handled in this thread as I didn't go through all the pages (maybe should have?). I have had K-7 with Ee-S bit over month now. I'm using it mostly with Samyang 85mm 1.4 and A* 300/4. When I adjusted the focus with shims, I found the best focus accuracy without the shims at all (not even stock shim in the camera). Is this normal? Samyang seems to be ok like this, but I still find A* 300 front focusing a bit. As there are no more shims to remove, I guess there is nothing I can do about it, yes? As I understand different cameras may be different about this (need different amount/thickness of shims), so is this just a "feature" of my K-7?

Furthermore, can the focus accuracy with Ee-s focus screen vary with the focus distance? I find both of these lenses be quite accurate in short to moderate distances (2-10m) but I get more front focusing in longer distances (>15m).

All in all, Ee-s seems to be working quite well, much easier to manual focus than with stock K-7 screen. Here are some examples with A* 300/4 (these show no front focusing in my eyes):

03-16-2012, 01:30 AM   #398
fuf
Forum Member

ee-s rocks :)

Thank you for the great find about the EE-S focusing screen. I bought A50/1.2 soon afterwards and the newly fitted screen helped with focusing a lot. I can now be sure I nailed the focus from f1.6 onwards. Below f1.6 I must confess I still notice some photos are misfocussed. And focusing with A-series of lenses is such a joy!
Also I've found out the autofocus quite often misses focus with AF lenses set to low aperture but now I can see it with my own eyes! This is simply fantastic
03-16-2012, 02:27 AM   #399

I've gone trough such drama for my ee-s screen, and finally tomorrow I will have it it was delayed, after the delay it was retained at customs, and customs is something that I don't want to deal with again for the rest of my life!

can't wait to to put it in my lovely k-5
will share impression right away, I'm so angry with the stock focus screen, that if there is a positive difference, I'm pretty sure I will notice immediately.
03-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #400

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just do not understand why we pentax users have to cut something!
What a unique company last summer i tried to rent a lens for the job and guess what not even a single shop here in New York cares pentax
03-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #401
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
what do people primarily use for manual focus? OVF or liveview? I personally would like to see a firmware upgrade that would add focus peaking to K-5 liveview.
03-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #402
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by QFish Quote
I just do not understand why we pentax users have to cut something!
What a unique company last summer i tried to rent a lens for the job and guess what not even a single shop here in New York cares pentax
You don't have to cut anything, there is a link is this thread for a ee-s for pentax.

http://www.adorama.com/
Adorama
42 West 18th Street New York, NY 10011
(888) 216-6400

I believe this is the largest camera store in the USA. They are a supporter of and active on this site.
03-18-2012, 07:00 AM   #403

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
You don't have to cut anything, there is a link is this thread for a ee-s for pentax.
This thread for Canon ee-S that has to be adapted (cut to the size) to fit pentax cameras. Pentax does not make this type of screens. They do not actually want you to use MF lenses, they want you to buy more of new AFs.

QuoteQuote:
http://www.adorama.com/
Adorama
42 West 18th Street New York, NY 10011
(888) 216-6400

I believe this is the largest camera store in the USA. They are a supporter of and active on this site.
Do you work for Adorama?

If this works as discussed here I am on my way to Adorama ha.

Anybody tried this in studio environment?
03-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #404
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-11-2013 at 07:37 AM. Reason: [deleted]
03-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #405

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
They probably just can't explicitly mention it for legal reasons (using other companys brand names).
They do mention it, but not on the product page. On the product page, they say that it's produced by using "S TYPE", and if you click the "screen comparison" link and scroll to the bottom, they specify that "S TYPE" is made by canon.

I just got my S-type screen from focusingscreen.com, and I can attest that it's the real deal. Beats KatzEye hands down for manually focusing with just about all my lenses. I did not however like the mounting tool. It felt clumsy.