Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 77 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2014, 08:17 AM   #601
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I find that weird. I've never had an s-screen to alter metering at all. Every Pentax body I've had for at least the last several years has under-exposed anyway (especially with Zeiss lenses), and installation of the s-screen didn't change that. As a RAW shooter, I don't even bother to dial in an adjustment, though. I've learned that it usually isn't such a bad thing and takes one second to account for in Lightroom. If I'm shooting in a particularly dark environment with no flash I'll dial in a little adjustment.
It's frustrating, and I'm hoping that it's an error on my part that can be corrected. I'll post some comparison shots of a controlled environment later this week and hopefully someone can get to the bottom of this. I have neither the time nor the means to post-process every photo I take, so I depend on good in-camera JPEGs instead. I've been using my K-01 more than I'd like to, given how great the focusing screen works with my manual lenses.

02-25-2014, 08:23 AM   #602
Pentaxian

I believe the original poster talked about the metering and how it was more consistent with the s-screen early in this thread? (i.e. as a pro, not a con) That's actually one of the reasons I bought one, although I haven't done any controlled before and after tests. In any case, I believe the screen used DOES affect metering. Maybe that is why I don't have any trouble with metering in Av mode when using stop-down m42 lenses -- everyone always says it doesn't work very well but it works fine for me.
02-25-2014, 10:04 AM   #603
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
why I don't have any trouble with metering in Av mode when using stop-down m42 lenses
What model camera are you using?
02-25-2014, 10:43 AM   #604
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
What model camera are you using?
original K-5

02-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #605
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K-r is hopeless. Had some better results recently with a plated brass rimmed M42 adapter that didn't seem to provoke any flopping and exposure compensations were more reasonable ~ +1eV
02-25-2014, 04:33 PM   #606
Veteran Member

In any case, I believe the screen used DOES affect metering.
Some screens absolutely affect metering, particularly split-screens, I just haven't found the s-screen to.

---------- Post added 02-25-14 at 05:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
I've been using my K-01 more than I'd like to, given how great the focusing screen works with my manual lenses.
K-01 actually doesn't have a focus screen since it doesn't have a VF. No wonder it works so well, huh?
02-25-2014, 05:07 PM   #607
Pentaxian

Some screens absolutely affect metering, particularly split-screens, I just haven't found the s-screen to.
I haven't done tests, but I believe the guy that was originally advocating for it did and found it was more consistent. I remember that being a factor in my decision to get one.

QuoteQuote:
K-01 actually doesn't have a focus screen since it doesn't have a VF. No wonder it works so well, huh?
Think he was saying he ought to be using the K-01 less since his other body has the focusing screen in it and he'd rather use that one for manual lenses...

02-25-2014, 05:59 PM   #608
Veteran Member

Think he was saying he ought to be using the K-01 less since his other body has the focusing screen in it and he'd rather use that one for manual lenses...
Yep. I may be a novice but I'm not a total moron
03-04-2014, 09:12 PM   #609
Veteran Member

Just put my ee-S screen in. Took five minutes and it seems I don't need shims. Phew! The viewfinder is a little darker but manual focusing is much, much easier. Seems the experiment has succeeded.
03-05-2014, 12:33 AM   #610
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by maxxxx Quote
Just put my ee-S screen in. Took five minutes and it seems I don't need shims. Phew! The viewfinder is a little darker but manual focusing is much, much easier. Seems the experiment has succeeded.
Good news….mine was posted a few days ago………….
03-05-2014, 07:34 AM   #611
Pentaxian

It is easy to get fooled but since the stock screen and the new screen are different thicknesses you *should* need shims unless your stock screen was already miscalibrated in just the right direction. Put the fastest lens you can find on it (f/1.4 preferably) and try critical focus at close distances -- you'll probably find you need to shim it...
03-05-2014, 09:50 AM   #612
Veteran Member

It is easy to get fooled but since the stock screen and the new screen are different thicknesses you *should* need shims unless your stock screen was already miscalibrated in just the right direction. Put the fastest lens you can find on it (f/1.4 preferably) and try critical focus at close distances -- you'll probably find you need to shim it...
True, unfortunately. Although, my K-3 did not need shimming and I tested it as critically as I could at f/1.4. Both my K-5's and my K-7 did need shimming.
03-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #613
Veteran Member

True, unfortunately. Although, my K-3 did not need shimming and I tested it as critically as I could at f/1.4. Both my K-5's and my K-7 did need shimming.
Which screen exactly did you order? I've a Katzeye split-focus in my K-3 currently, which is better than stock but still leaves me wanting a bit.
03-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #614
Veteran Member

Good point. I have only tried a 105/2.8. I'll try my 50/1.7 tonight.

The focusing screen shouldn't have an impact on autofocus, or does it?
03-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #615
Pentaxian

Good point. I have only tried a 105/2.8. I'll try my 50/1.7 tonight.

The focusing screen shouldn't have an impact on autofocus, or does it?
It does not impact AF.