Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #616
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Which screen exactly did you order? I've a Katzeye split-focus in my K-3 currently, which is better than stock but still leaves me wanting a bit.
S-screen. Had the Katzeye before, the s-screen is better.

03-05-2014, 06:23 PM   #617
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well that's good news. Ordered.
03-07-2014, 12:01 AM   #618
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Well that's good news. Ordered.
Got my "s" yesterday.......easy as to put in......."I can see clearly now"
03-07-2014, 09:04 AM   #619
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not the quickest operation on the block are they? I don't think mine has even posted yet and he hasn't responded to my email. Oh well... not an emergency.

03-10-2014, 02:01 AM   #620
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Whoah, still kicking!

Guys, I'm glad to see that this thread is still living! Ranked as 6th thread (in posts or views!) of the K5 forum, never had so much success for my other posts!

Sorry for not chiming in recently to give answers to those having questions, but 2013 was a lousy photographic year for me (I think I barely made 500 clicks during the whole year!).

To all of you Fast Lenses Lovers, regards from the South of France!

Dominique.
03-12-2014, 09:00 PM   #621
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
It is easy to get fooled but since the stock screen and the new screen are different thicknesses you *should* need shims unless your stock screen was already miscalibrated in just the right direction. Put the fastest lens you can find on it (f/1.4 preferably) and try critical focus at close distances -- you'll probably find you need to shim it...
Just tried with a 105 2.8 and 50 1.7. Focus was spot on with both without shim. Maybe I just got lucky
03-13-2014, 07:12 AM   #622
Veteran Member

It is easy to get fooled but since the stock screen and the new screen are different thicknesses you *should* need shims unless your stock screen was already miscalibrated in just the right direction. Put the fastest lens you can find on it (f/1.4 preferably) and try critical focus at close distances -- you'll probably find you need to shim it...
I am not sure if this has been covered already (probably has, but this is a real long thread)...
If youre front focusing, do you need thinner or thicker shims?
I could not decipher the focusingscreen.com website.

03-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #623
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I am not sure if this has been covered already (probably has, but this is a real long thread)...
If youre front focusing, do you need thinner or thicker shims?
I could not decipher the focusingscreen.com website.
...If the shim is thinner than the correct value, you get back focus, if the shim is thicker than you get front focus
03-14-2014, 03:51 PM   #624
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Slice Of Light Quote
...If the shim is thinner than the correct value, you get back focus, if the shim is thicker than you get front focus
And make sure that the diopter adjustment is set correctly for your eyesight - the screen markings should appear in focus without having to strain whichever eye you normally use.

Remember that shimming the screen is nothing to do with the camera autofocus or its adjustment, what you are trying to achieve is to have the image on the focus screen focused when the image on the sensor is focused, which should be when the autofocus thinks that it is focused
03-17-2014, 09:04 AM   #625

A question I am sure has been covered but to be clear, are there any slow lenses or situations where this focusing screen becomes unusable?
03-17-2014, 09:10 AM   #626
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gregor Quote
A question I am sure has been covered but to be clear, are there any slow lenses or situations where this focusing screen becomes unusable?
The slower your lens, the darker it will be. If you have bad eye sight, it may be really tough indoors with a slower lens.
03-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #627
Pentaxian

It is darker than the stock screen with lenses f/3.5ish or slower, but it still looks pretty good (and DOF is not as thin with such lenses anyway, in general). I actually have both the S-screen along with a 1.3x magnifier on the eyepiece which probably makes it darker still and I think it is great. Since the screen doesn't matter for AF, and all of my slower lenses are AF, it is not a big deal. (How many lenses are you going to buy that are both old/MF AND slow?)
03-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #628

It is darker than the stock screen with lenses f/3.5ish or slower, but it still looks pretty good (and DOF is not as thin with such lenses anyway, in general). I actually have both the S-screen along with a 1.3x magnifier on the eyepiece which probably makes it darker still and I think it is great. Since the screen doesn't matter for AF, and all of my slower lenses are AF, it is not a big deal. (How many lenses are you going to buy that are both old/MF AND slow?)
Good point. I'm pretty sold on this screen, just needed some reassurance. I have a promaster(vivitar, etc) 100/3.5 that I'm slowly learning macro with. Its a lens that encourages mf and I'm hoping it will play well with the ee-s screen.
03-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #629
Veteran Member

Good point. I'm pretty sold on this screen, just needed some reassurance. I have a promaster(vivitar, etc) 100/3.5 that I'm slowly learning macro with. Its a lens that encourages mf and I'm hoping it will play well with the ee-s screen.
I find my K-5 with the ee-s much easier to focus with even with slow lenses in dark rooms than my stock K-5. The ee-s shows the out of focus areas basically as they would look on a photo while the stock screen shows that ugly fingerprint texture instead.
03-17-2014, 10:17 AM   #630
Pentaxian

That is a great underrated lens, and you will benefit from the s-screen. (You will REALLY benefit once you put a manual f/1.4 on it since they are basically impossible to focus in the optical viewfinder with the stock screen.)