Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #736
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm using what ever shims I found in my camera. (edit I didn't need them all) Just use and adjust them until you are happy with the focus.

Easy Peasy

08-11-2014, 06:33 PM   #737
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I only have the one that came with the camera, tends to limit the adjustment options
08-11-2014, 10:14 PM   #738
Veteran Member

to ebay with you! :P
08-11-2014, 11:18 PM   #739
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
to ebay with you! :P
this ebay of which you speak, I have heard of it vaguely, would you have a link at all ?

08-12-2014, 02:54 AM   #740

Photos: Albums
I bought both mine from focusingscreen.com and they come with a variety of plastic shims. Seem to recall I needed two of those stacked together with my K-r and I think my K-5II needed one but can't quite recall.
12-10-2014, 07:17 AM   #741
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Seems like the flow have ebbed down...

No more manual focus aficionados out there? Everyone already switched to the EE-S?
12-10-2014, 07:56 AM   #742
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
I've followed this thread for the past couple years and finally decided to leave the stock screen in place on my K-30. While the vast majority of people are very happy with this alternate screen, a few have gone to the effort to test and decided that the screen can impact automated exposure.

I have some prized and relatively fast KA prime lenses, but I reserve them for some specific circumstances. I nearly always check the stopped-down view to see my depth of field when using those lenses, which reduces my need for the focusing characteristics of the EE-S screen. And if I have time to do that, I also have time to shift over to live view with its varied forms of focus confirmation.

For me the bigger issue is why Pentax hasn't introduced their own version of the EE-S or other enhanced focusing screens - either as an improvement to the stock screen or an opportunity to sell an accessory at a good margin? Pentax's engineers could I am sure, do a better job of matching sensors and screen since they control all aspects of the situation.

And not to derail this topic (and maybe we should start a new thread), but has Pentax regained enough traction to license others to manufacture some of those other long discontinued very well made accessories, tweaked for APS-C cameras? When such used items do appear for sale, they are not on the market very long - and those of us that have any, often have to make accommodations for our current APS-C bodies.

12-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #743
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I nearly always check the stopped-down view to see my depth of field when using those lenses, which reduces my need for the focusing characteristics of the EE-S screen.
One thing that I've learned while playing with the EE-S screen is that no matter what screen you're using, the stopped-down view is actually never a true rendering of the final depth of field...
Reason is simple : modern focus screens are not made of ground glass anymore, but use complex Fresnel lenses designs...
Okay, from f/2.8 on, the differences are small enough to go unnoticed... But if DoF is critical, then digital preview is the only sure way...
12-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #744
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
But if DoF is critical, then digital preview is the only sure way...
And judging DOF and/of sharpness on a small screen can be deceptive, too.

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
For me the bigger issue is why Pentax hasn't introduced their own version of the EE-S or other enhanced focusing screens
Indeed, it is odd that Pentax offers you any focusing screen you like, so long as the one you like is the one and only stock screen.
12-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #745
Pentaxian

I installed one in my K-5, but found the stock one adequate in the K-3.
12-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #746
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
And judging DOF and/of sharpness on a small screen can be deceptive, too.

Indeed, it is odd that Pentax offers you any focusing screen you like, so long as the one you like is the one and only stock screen.
It's like Ford is still alive!
12-10-2014, 01:00 PM   #747

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
No more manual focus aficionados out there? Everyone already switched to the EE-S?
I did and am (mostly) happy with it. Maybe the problem is more with my eyesight, but I still miss far too many shots due to focusing... far more than I remember back in films days. I do wonder if I should have gone mirrorless 4/3rds, rather than Pentax APS-C.
12-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #748
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I installed one in my K-5, but found the stock one adequate in the K-3.
Same for me. I was surprised that the difference between the two was so noticeable with stock screens.
02-15-2015, 04:30 PM   #749
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is my K5 screen lying on top of the EES screen I acquired which I presume is for a fullframe.
My thought is that I can get two screen out of this one, cutting it down the middle. Maybe about a mm shy of being the same size, but even in that case it looks like it should seat ok on the shim in the camera and lock in.
What do you think - do you know of any reason not to cut the EES sideways like this?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G1  Photo 
02-17-2015, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #750
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
What do you think - do you know of any reason not to cut the EES sideways like this?
If the EE-S is a micro-Fresnel lens design (I suspect it is), then the micro lenses are concentric around the center point of the screen (optical axis). If you cut the screen in half, you would be destroying the symmetry of the system and get very unintended results from your efforts.

If, on the other hand, the EE-S is merely a finely-grained (ie, random) matte screen (doubtful, but possible), then you would be good to go.

I don't think I would take the chance.

I know there have been online posts by people who have done their own conversions; you might search the web to find out their methods and experiences. Sorry I don't have any specific links.

Cheers,
Lou