Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-30-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LV and rule of thirds

I happened to see another persons K5 while the LV was on and saw a thirds grid on it. It this a setting option in the K5 or did they have a lcd screen protector on it with this grid on it?

04-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
pbo
Veteran Member

It's a setting in live view mode settings. Technically, it's not a rule of thirds screen since it divides the screen into 16 parts (4x4) as opposed to 9 parts (3x3), but I find it helps with composition.
04-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
cool, I just noticed the grid type display, and though tit pretty handy, glad its a setting thats easily turned on or off. Thanks
04-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
Technically, it's not a rule of thirds screen since it divides the screen into 16 parts (4x4) as opposed to 9 parts (3x3), but I find it helps with composition.
I find it amazing that anyone would need a grid to help with composition. If that doesn't come naturally then maybe it's time to find another hobby!

04-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I find it amazing that anyone would need a grid to help with composition. If that doesn't come naturally then maybe it's time to find another hobby!
It's a good composition aid, perhaps you should try it. I'm not saying you should give up your composition sense and rely on electronics, but it is a useful thing to have. Also, you can use it as a leveling tool in case your level is off.
04-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Live view has 4 possible grids on a K-5:

Off (none)
4x4
3x3 with two diagonal lines making an X through the center
crosshairs with 4 vertical and 6 horizontal markings

This can be changed in the "camera icon" section of the menu, under "Live View"
04-30-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
but it is a useful thing to have. Also, you can use it as a leveling tool in case your level is off.
Sorry, but I have to disagree. We have two eyes and a brain for all that stuff. If you are looking through your viewfinder worrying about all that (most of which can be corrected in PP), then you may be missing the creative purpose of the shot. Creativity comes from within, it is not merely the sum of a number of electronic calculations and rules.

04-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
Elitist much?... I'm sure even the best artist had to start learning somewhere and if the grid helpds people start learning about composition then why are you detracting them from using them? I bet da vinci couldn't paint his masterpieces without first learning the basics.
04-30-2011, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Sorry, but I have to disagree. We have two eyes and a brain for all that stuff. If you are looking through your viewfinder worrying about all that (most of which can be corrected in PP), then you may be missing the creative purpose of the shot. Creativity comes from within, it is not merely the sum of a number of electronic calculations and rules.
Sometimes the muses tell me to shoot a picture that is level with the horizon.
04-30-2011, 11:12 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
"3x3 with two diagonal lines making an X through the center"

I believe this would be the most useful. Composition can be internalized, but guides can promote, rather than hinder development of this.
05-01-2011, 12:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
"3x3 with two diagonal lines making an X through the center"

I believe this would be the most useful. Composition can be internalized, but guides can promote, rather than hinder development of this.
I think this must be the one I saw, and I appreciate all the input on it. I should be gettign my K5 on Monday or Tues! pretty excited waiting for it to arrive. I noticed dark frame subtraction removal is also a option in the K5 which I think I'll really enjoy!
05-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #12

That is extremely elitist. Even Mozart has to learn music from somewhere.
05-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by testdasi Quote
Even Mozart has to learn music from somewhere.
A real pro does not use any tripod, he is born steadfast. Paganini wasn't a real pro since he spent all his childhood and adolescence in cellar - it was the senior Paganini who cloister Nicolas - so all his capriccios as well as la Campanella aka la Clochette and other things he brought out do not count. Definitely not a pro!

Zig