Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2011, 11:44 PM   #31
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 90
You must be able to touch a hot stove element with that shutter finger and not feel a thing!

That's a lot of shots, nice to see you haven't had any issues with the camera in that time!

My k10 has around 18000 and the k20d has over 6 right now. I'll be getting a K5 soon so we'll see how many I can put on her!

05-02-2011, 11:50 PM   #32
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 5th floor
Posts: 1,328
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Or a machine gun.....

Sent from my GT-P1000T using Tapatalk
Suppose nothing is wrong with a fine shot gun or machine gun. Isn't there a casio that takes like a million frames per nano second?
05-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #33
Veteran Member
Tommot1965's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,026
Christine is a self confessed 7fps shooter...so I can see how her shutter count would be high.

all i can say is you must spend a huge amount of time wading through the image you take to find the keepers.....Ive been trying to cut down on shots taken. as I find the time at the PC culling images quite boring ....
05-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #34
Veteran Member
Smeggypants's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,536
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I was told that if you are a bad shot, a sawed off shot gun will help you a lot.
Well yeah if you want to just take pictures of static scenes like architecture then sure take your time getting that one shots perfect.

I take mostly dynamic scenes or people and other changing subjects so the scene is always changing and there's always lots of shots from different angles to be had.

I've never used burst mode so I never machine gun shots. I take an awful lot of shots, but 99.9% of them are considered shots.

Maybe I ( and Christine ) can simply judge a good shot more quickly?


It's lame and cheap to imply people are bad photographers because they take a lot of shots

05-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #35
Veteran Member
Smeggypants's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,536
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
Christine is a self confessed 7fps shooter...so I can see how her shutter count would be high.

all i can say is you must spend a huge amount of time wading through the image you take to find the keepers.....Ive been trying to cut down on shots taken. as I find the time at the PC culling images quite boring ....
I'm currently wading through and editing Monday's shoot ( 2,699 shots ). I'm 20% of the way through. I'm actually thoroughly enjoying it. Yes it'll take me a few days to finish but got the music on in the background and a few glasses of red wine and away we go.

QuoteQuote:
Ive been trying to cut down on shots taken
I've tried that, but I always kick myself when I get home for missing some cool shots.
05-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #36
Veteran Member
Tommot1965's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,026
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
I'm currently wading through and editing Monday's shoot ( 2,699 shots ). I'm 20% of the way through. I'm actually thoroughly enjoying it. Yes it'll take me a few days to finish but got the music on in the background and a few glasses of red wine and away we go. ....That dont sound too hard ..

I've tried that, but I always kick myself when I get home for missing some cool shots...when I get some cool shots with my minimalist approach..i say to myself.."you skillful bugger..LOL....


can you do mine.....I need advise for work flow..still trying to use light-room ..but end up back at PS to do the editing... although ive progressed to suing LR to import and catalogue the images ..so im making progress....a feature that Christine mentioned the other day was the Metadata function of LR..that in itself is worth the learning curve
05-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #37
Veteran Member
Smeggypants's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,536
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
can you do mine.....I need advise for work flow..still trying to use light-room ..but end up back at PS to do the editing... although ive progressed to suing LR to import and catalogue the images ..so im making progress....a feature that Christine mentioned the other day was the Metadata function of LR..that in itself is worth the learning curve

My method, In Lightroom, is to create temporary develop presets to PP a large selection of similar pics to a rough tweak. Sort of 80% of where you want to end up. I then quickly flick through and only spend time further tweaking the good shots to "perfection!"

I don't bother with noise reduction, CA presets or lens profiles until the end. I then use the metadata filter to select pics by lens, ISO, etc and apply NR or CA to suit.

One thing life is too short for is working on 2700 shots from a shoot individually from scratch
05-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #38
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bridgetown West Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 887
One great image is worth a thousand snaps!

05-04-2011, 01:46 AM   #39
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
One great image is worth a thousand snaps!
This is so true. With sports and other highly moving scenes it helps just to take some extra shots to get that one ultimate shot. Getting better at the sport (or what ever) you are shooting you will get that picture sooner and with less shots to take.
05-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #40
Veteran Member
Christine Tham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,269
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
all i can say is you must spend a huge amount of time wading through the image you take to find the keepers.....Ive been trying to cut down on shots taken. as I find the time at the PC culling images quite boring ....
No, I just have a really fast workflow.

I don't believe in too much post processing, so it only takes a few seconds to review each photo and decide which one to keep, tweak raw processing parameters, crop etc.

At the Sydney Zombie March event, I was the first photographer to publish - I started posting images about an hour after the event finished. As a result, a lot of people used my photos so there was a first mover advantage for having a fast workflow.

Some photographers delivered much better photos than me, but they took days to do it, by which time it was old news.

My personal favourite from that shoot was this one (and I later found out the subject is a friend of a friend):

Last edited by Christine Tham; 05-04-2011 at 12:25 PM.
05-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 593
I've had my M8 nearly 4 years and I'm not even CLOSE to that shutter count on it. I'm not sure I've even cracked 5000 yet, and I use the camera nearly every day. LOL! I've only got 300 or so on my K-5 in two weeks because of a lot of "new camera testing", but I expect as it settles down, it'll be the same!
05-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #42
Veteran Member
Christine Tham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,269
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
I've had my M8 nearly 4 years and I'm not even CLOSE to that shutter count on it. I'm not sure I've even cracked 5000 yet, and I use the camera nearly every day. LOL! I've only got 300 or so on my K-5 in two weeks because of a lot of "new camera testing", but I expect as it settles down, it'll be the same!
LOL - I'll probably end up shooting more photos on the M9 than you have on the M8, and it's not even my camera! However, at the end of the day, it's not about how many shots, but how you enjoy your camera, and I'm sure you love your M8.

However, I suspect I will be very busy for the next few months, so will have very little time for photography.

Will probably have to curtail my cycling too (I have been cycling around 200-300 km per week).
05-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #43
Veteran Member
Christine Tham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,269
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
This is so true. With sports and other highly moving scenes it helps just to take some extra shots to get that one ultimate shot. Getting better at the sport (or what ever) you are shooting you will get that picture sooner and with less shots to take.
+1 That is so true.

When I first started playing with continuous mode on my K10D, i would shoot hundreds of shots and end up frustrated because none of them came out well.

On the K-5, I rarely take more than 6-12 to get the one I want, sometimes even as low as 2-3.

It's quite easy to control the number of images shot in continuous mode on the K-5, unlike the EOS 1D where even a momentary press of the shutter button will result in 2-3 images even when I wanted just one.
05-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #44
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,893
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Will probably have to curtail my cycling too (I have been cycling around 200-300 km per week).
Wow. My brother lives in Sydney and cycles about the same km per week, if not more. I'm impressed that so many Sydney people seem to love cycling, despite what I would have thought was a fairly hostile urban cycling environment. You must be very fit.
05-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #45
Veteran Member
Christine Tham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,269
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Wow. My brother lives in Sydney and cycles about the same km per week, if not more. I'm impressed that so many Sydney people seem to love cycling, despite what I would have thought was a fairly hostile urban cycling environment. You must be very fit.
Sydney has some amazing cycling routes (Galston Gorge, Pacific Highway to Brooklyn and Mt. White, Bobbin Head, Akuna Bay, West Head, Church Point), and I happen to live very close to most of these routes.

Furthest I have ever cycled in one ride was probably around 140 km (to Wisemans Ferry and Mangrove Mountain and back via Pacific Highway), but that nearly killed me. Usually I ride up to 100 km per ride on the weekends, but restrict myself to 30-40 km rides during the week.

I usually ride in various groups, so it's quite safe to travel on highways. We usually do about 40 km/h on a flat road, and average around 30 km/h over the entire ride. Not quite pro level (a good female cyclist should be able to average 40 km/h over a time trial course - I can barely do 35 and only if it's relatively flat). I'm in my late forties though so no aspirations to be a pro rider.

I really want a good small camera to take on rides. Don't really want a compact. I hope Pentax will release that mirrorless camera soon - maybe just perfect for me.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, day, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5, shots
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
People Where as the last 12 months gone??? Mechan1k Post Your Photos! 16 12-21-2012 10:33 PM
Misc Car shots over the last few months Joel Post Your Photos! 3 07-18-2010 10:55 PM
People 5 of 9 months icywarm Photo Critique 3 07-17-2010 08:22 PM
Landscape Months apart pnuk Photo Critique 6 02-05-2010 01:58 PM
My take on the K-7 after a few months. pcarfan Pentax DSLR Discussion 11 10-14-2009 10:41 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:43 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top