Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Interesting stat: I'm processing some photos right now (ones I took yesterday) and out of the first batch (500) I'm electing to publish 119.

All these photos were taken using manual focus lenses, so the reject rate is higher than normal (some days I elect to publish nearly everything I take) - I was specifically practising focusing my A135 at f2.8 for the first half and have a lot of discards as I was trying to focus on moving yachts whilst on a ferry. The latter half were taken on my A50 and have a higher publish rate.

1 out of 119 I'm not terribly happy with since it's slightly out of focus (looks okay at screen resolution, but blurry when pixel peeped) but I'm publishing it anyway since it's part of a series of portraits I'm doing and actually it's the best of the lot even though it's slightly OOF.

You can judge for yourself whether they are worth publishing or not - some of them I have posted in the lens thread (called "A135mm wide open - nice!").

Here's another one (the kayak is moving, I am on a moving ferry, it's a 135mm lens and I'm manually focusing at f3.5 - the DOF is only slightly wider than the kayak)

05-01-2011, 11:22 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Yksi hyvä kuva voi korvata tuhansia turhia laukauksia. Kyllä Pentax K-5 on mailmanparas kamera. Jos perinteet jatkuvat on seuraavakin versio viellä sitäkin parempi.
05-01-2011, 11:23 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Second batch - publish/shoot ratio - about 50%, which is what I would expect. Towards the end, I was taking at least 3-4 different versions of sunset photos in different settings - in the end, I discovered I liked only one of the settings (but it wasn't the setting I thought I would like, therefore I'm glad I experimented). This is my favourite of the sunset photos - even though it's not very dramatic - I just like the combination of plane, tree, hill and sky:

The slightly blurry picture which I thought my friend would like - she ended up choosing a different one for her Facebook profile photo - and ironically it's the one I liked least of all. Just goes to show I'm not always right and beauty truly is in the eyes of the beholder.

And towards the end, I just played games with my camera. I did not expect any of them to come out well, but I ended up liking this one. Turns out I am a monkey after all - I just take random shots - LOL :-)
05-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I really sit with wide open mouth in astonishment at the amount of photos taken and also taken on one holiday.

I started photography 30 years ago.

Shot for surf magazines & skate magazines, weddings professionally, have traveled extensively, had 3 kids who I took photo's of all their sporting achievements from age 5 etc etc

On 35mm film/slide. 6x6 film/slide and digital from 2001 and possibly I might have taken 10 000 shots over all those years (although I doubt it)

How you guys do it in one month or so I find incredulous!!

05-02-2011, 01:46 PM   #20
Banned

Christine, that is insane so many shots. I am as you not so good in taking pictures, so I sometime take a few shots extra (did also some testing shots, so they ad to the shuttercount). I had one K-5 returnd with stains, and now have a black and a Silver K-5. Total counting some 35.000 pictures, but I do delete a lot

05-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I am as you not so good in taking pictures, so I sometime take a few shots extra
LOL - stop being so humble Ron - I have seen your photos and I know you are an excellent photographer! Better than me anyway.

That's a great street scene - so good it almost looks staged.
05-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am definitely trigger happy, but it's a habit I'm trying to change. I only go crazy when it's animals, sometimes you can catch them giving you a dirty look. Pentax didn't make our cameras capable of so many frames per second if they didn't want us to take 43 photos of a chickadee!

I end up deleting the vast majority of my photos. I'd say 30% of my photos are keepers and 3% are worth submitting to a gallery and 0.3% get accepted

05-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Christine, where do you publish your pictures to? Flicker?
05-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
I am definitely trigger happy, but it's a habit I'm trying to change.
I don't think you should change, but there's no point taking multiple versions of exactly the same shot (at least, not on the K-5 - I used to do that on the K10D because the focusing can be a bit erratic).

What I sometimes do is take variations of each shot. Slightly different composition, I focus on different parts of the scene. I think to myself - how many different ways can I view this scene ... Someone at the Pentax workshop took this picture of me:

On portraits especially the human face is capable of so much variation between shots - sometimes a particular "look" on one shot is precious.

And I agree with you re animals - it's worthwhile going crazy on them - again, lots of variation across shots.

Memory is cheap, and the delete button is handy (although I never delete - why bother! - it's very easy to browse and compare on Lightroom).
05-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Christine, where do you publish your pictures to? Flicker?
These days - Facebook pretty much exclusively. That way, my family and friends get to see them automagically. There's no limit on the number of photos I can upload - and I only upload low res screen optimised pictures so hopefully no one will steal them.

About a dozen people are using or have used my photos of them as their profile picture - that's kinda cute! Sometimes people ask me for the high res version so they can print or use as desktop wallpaper - only too happy to oblige, and I'll even remove the copyright watermark. I'm not interested in making money off my photos - the enjoyment is in taking the pictures.
05-02-2011, 06:10 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I've taken around 38,000 shots this year aready. Extrapolating I shall take over 100,000 this year.

I took 2,699 shots today at a truck show.
05-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote

What I sometimes do is take variations of each shot. Slightly different composition, I focus on different parts of the scene. I think to myself - how many different ways can I view this scene ... Someone at the Pentax workshop took this picture of me:

On portraits especially the human face is capable of so much variation between shots - sometimes a particular "look" on one shot is precious.

And I agree with you re animals - it's worthwhile going crazy on them - again, lots of variation across shots.

Memory is cheap, and the delete button is handy (although I never delete - why bother! - it's very easy to browse and compare on Lightroom).
Christine I take back everything I said about you.

Looking at the shot .. respect. I do the same kind of stuff. shots from all kinds of different angles!!!
05-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Saisikohan sitä jonkun kuvan onnistuun, kun vähentäis vähän vauhtia, vaikka 10000 vähemmän 3 kuukaudessa.
05-02-2011, 11:33 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was told that if you are a bad shot, a sawed off shot gun will help you a lot.
05-02-2011, 11:39 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I was told that if you are a bad shot, a sawed off shot gun will help you a lot.
Or a machine gun.....