Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
Its easy to not understand the real problem!
I understand the real problem very well.

09-03-2011, 06:35 PM   #47
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I understand the real problem very well.
What is it? When you see dust and moisture blowing up under the LCD cover and Pentax says send it in to be fixed do you really think all of us are wrong and you know the real problem? My screen leaked in dust big time, not a little a lot! It also leaked in cleaning fluid. I had to clean the LCD as well which is no fun.

I don't think you realize how much dust and moisture is getting behind some of the cameras LCD cover. If you did you would understand. I agree some just have normal amount of dust. But if the area around the LCD is air-tight there will be no air movement to let dust in the area between the LCD cover and LCD. In order for a zoom lens to place dust in that area the LCD cover will have to leak some air. The covers we are talking about have weak areas around the tape that let dust blow right into. The first pic is a perfect pattern of dust being blown in.

See when I and looking at the OP pics say there is dust behind the LCD cover we ain't talking a few pieces, we are talking hundreds of pieces of dust and water leaking in, the truth!

Last edited by jamesm007; 09-03-2011 at 06:58 PM.
09-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #48
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Having posted a few comments back I'm now in the position to give what is clearly the cause of my dust problem. Numerous times I've gripped the k5 when picking it up I've felt and heard a dull click. Thought nothing of it and put it down to just the general play in a button laden camera. However, it's now clear that it's the lcd screen coming away at the bottom right hand corner. You press it, it pops back in. 10 minutes later it's popped out again. Best guess it's a faulty seal as previously suggested, the glue just ain't up to the job.

Now, I rarely jump on a bandwagon but after my fa50 1.4 failing ( Very loose focus ring after 2 weeks) and this basic quality control failure on my K5 I have to posit the conceit that Pentax really do have some 'issues'. I get that stuff will go wonky, especially delicate circuitry, software and precision glass but the glue on a seal ? And a plastic lens ring ? Bad news Pentax, that's a joke.
09-14-2011, 03:06 AM   #49

I too found dust under the LCD cover after having it for less than 3 months. Needless to say, i was surprised! I had put it down to using non-WR zoom lenses, but maybe it's more than that. I will have to investigate.

09-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by London Rob Quote
Having posted a few comments back I'm now in the position to give what is clearly the cause of my dust problem. Numerous times I've gripped the k5 when picking it up I've felt and heard a dull click. Thought nothing of it and put it down to just the general play in a button laden camera. However, it's now clear that it's the lcd screen coming away at the bottom right hand corner. You press it, it pops back in. 10 minutes later it's popped out again. Best guess it's a faulty seal as previously suggested, the glue just ain't up to the job.

Now, I rarely jump on a bandwagon but after my fa50 1.4 failing ( Very loose focus ring after 2 weeks) and this basic quality control failure on my K5 I have to posit the conceit that Pentax really do have some 'issues'. I get that stuff will go wonky, especially delicate circuitry, software and precision glass but the glue on a seal ? And a plastic lens ring ? Bad news Pentax, that's a joke.
I was not clear in this paragraph I believe because of the response above.

"The cover is held on by double sided tape. The tape is not very wide and allows dust to sneak under many times, very normal for it to happen as its just a thin, not super-strong pre-shaped double sided tape... happened to my sealed K20D. The real weather-sealing for models such as mine is 4 pieces of rubber/foam strips around and between the LCD and body, the LCD is pushed against it so its air tight. The LCD cover is for protection, and anti-glare; its also made of polycarbonate plastic as the body."

By normal I meant all manufactures have this problem. I researched it long ago and found plenty of well known sealed cameras with this problem (and non sealed). However it is kinda a QC problem, not a Pentax design problem. If the job is done right (no dust upon assembly) even the narrow tape I show a few posts back (my K20D) will hold the LCD cover down and not let any dust in. I have proved this to myself with well over two years of very heavy use in all weather, and evidence of other forum members who don't have problems. Why did I say "its very normal for this to happen", bad wording. This sentence was to covers all cameras in my mind, now how others read it?

Example link
A Canon with dust!
40D dust behind LCD - warranty ?

All it would take in the manufacturing process for the cover to be less then perfectly tight is just a small bit of dust. The most leaks seem to be in corners so IMO during manufacturing the camera is blown clean but sometimes dust gets trapped in the corner and you have a leak! There is not too many ways you can mess up putting on a LCD cover and double sided tape, is there. The cost of cameras would go up a lot if even the LCD cover has to be assembled in a dust free environment.

Now if the back of the K-5 flexes (the above poster is saying it flexes?) more than the K-7 for some reason, this could cause a problem! I don't know. But think this is not an issue. I would not even think of letting this issue from stopping me from buying a K-5, heck my K20D had it and others long before the K20D or K5!

I just want to go on record as sometimes I just type and not think it seems. Like the paragraph above. I won't lead anyone astray (on purpose or too far) but if any questions arise when you read my posts, please ask. I do like reading and writing to others about my enjoyment with cameras and photography as all of us. However my personal satisfaction comes if I can help someone. Many of my posts are to help others. As was the case here but my verbose style of writing gets unclear many times

Last edited by jamesm007; 09-14-2011 at 04:20 PM.
09-21-2011, 07:45 PM   #51

Pentax repair it for me and change the LCD (water leak) abt 2 week time for repair....

Last edited by cslee; 09-26-2011 at 11:02 PM.
10-03-2011, 11:44 AM   #52
Forum Member

Ok so the dust problem was getting worse so it's gone off for repair. Very clear to me that it's the right hand portion of the lcd screen seal has failed. When you grip the body or use the menu buttons your thumb can make the back of the body to flex a litte (It takes barely any pressure) and it seems to be this that makes my screen 'pop out' by a 10th of a mil or so. Pop it back and you can feel it stick, go to take a shot and it comes unstuck. I shall report back on the outcome but as I've said before, software, delicate mechanics I accept can be troublesome. But a seal ? Bear in mind that my body was doing this from the box it just never hit me what it really was or that it would let dust in.
Not great is it ?
10-07-2011, 05:31 AM   #53
Forum Member

Picked up on Monday, at Johnson's (UK Pentax service) on Tuesday, fixed on Wednesday, returned on Friday (Today). Now that is what I call customer care !!! Report simply states 'replaced back' and I can comfirm that the whole back plate/lcd cover is new and most interestingly the flex I spoke of has now virtually gone. It might be my imagination but it just seems a whole lot stiffer and the lcd screen is now virtually flush where as before it sloped outwards on the right hand vertical and as you know woul come unstuck when in use.
So no dust and a much better feel. early days but so far I am happy. Great service Johnsons Photopia, take a bow.

10-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #54

Me too - the same dust

My Pentax k-5 has no 200 shots and it shows the same dust inside the LCD screen. I'm very frustrated with the quality of Pentax -after years using digital cameras from Canon and Nikon. I am in Brazil and here we do not have technical assistance from Pentax -a big problem for anyone who owns this brand. I'm sad and sorry for the purchase of a K-5.
03-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #55

Hi. I'm new here and also have a dusty new K5.

Hi from a worried ex Canon user.

I've just sold my 3 Canon lenses on Ebay and tonight my 60D body goes up for auction. I fell in love with the K5 when it 1st arrived in the UK but was put off by reports of sensor issues and bought the 60D instead.

Lusting for pancake lenses and a lighter set up I've finally cut my losses with Canon and 3 weeks ago bought a brand new K5 from Clifton Cameras in Dursley, UK - great shop. Well worth a visit if you live within a days drive. My thinking being that the sensor probs and other issues must all be sorted by now.....

Less than a month in and I've noticed masses of dust inside the rear LCD. Seems to be at different depths within the glass. Disappointing and worrying as one of the reasons I splashed the dosh was for weather sealing!

I've been laid up with a slipped disc the past couple of months (hence need for a lighter set up) and it's only been used ouside the house a couple of times. Mostly it has a 21mm ltd prime attached.

I noticed the dust after using it with the kit WR 18-55mm, so just now I put that back on and zoomed in and out a few times - Low and behold I saw a large white dust particle appear behind the glass as I turned the zoom ring.

Now I'm wondering if I made the wrong decision changing systems. This is the Pentax flagship model after all and it costs a lot of money. If it's getting in there then how long before it gets onto the sensor?

I'll be making the 60 mile round trip to Clifton cameras this week to either get a replacement or ask for my money back. After seeing other comments about this issue at the moment I'm leaning towards getting the money - seems it may just happen again - especially as most of the comments about this problem are around a year old. My camera is new stock and Pentax obviously haven't fixed the QC.

Thankfully Clifton cameras provide a great personal service. I'll let you all know what they say.

all the best and hoping that others have better luck.

pillbox
03-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pillbox Quote

Hi from a worried ex Canon user.

I've just sold my 3 Canon lenses on Ebay and tonight my 60D body goes up for auction. I fell in love with the K5 when it 1st arrived in the UK but was put off by reports of sensor issues and bought the 60D instead.

Lusting for pancake lenses and a lighter set up I've finally cut my losses with Canon and 3 weeks ago bought a brand new K5 from Clifton Cameras in Dursley, UK - great shop. Well worth a visit if you live within a days drive. My thinking being that the sensor probs and other issues must all be sorted by now.....

Less than a month in and I've noticed masses of dust inside the rear LCD. Seems to be at different depths within the glass. Disappointing and worrying as one of the reasons I splashed the dosh was for weather sealing!

I've been laid up with a slipped disc the past couple of months (hence need for a lighter set up) and it's only been used ouside the house a couple of times. Mostly it has a 21mm ltd prime attached.

I noticed the dust after using it with the kit WR 18-55mm, so just now I put that back on and zoomed in and out a few times - Low and behold I saw a large white dust particle appear behind the glass as I turned the zoom ring.

Now I'm wondering if I made the wrong decision changing systems. This is the Pentax flagship model after all and it costs a lot of money. If it's getting in there then how long before it gets onto the sensor?

I'll be making the 60 mile round trip to Clifton cameras this week to either get a replacement or ask for my money back. After seeing other comments about this issue at the moment I'm leaning towards getting the money - seems it may just happen again - especially as most of the comments about this problem are around a year old. My camera is new stock and Pentax obviously haven't fixed the QC.

Thankfully Clifton cameras provide a great personal service. I'll let you all know what they say.

all the best and hoping that others have better luck.

pillbox
Pillbox, sorry to hear about your problem! Don't write Pentax off yet, lots of us have been using our K-5s for over a year with absolutely no problems whatsoever (stains, dust, etc.). If I were you, I'd get it repaired under warranty, or exchange it if the store will do that.

I've used my K-5 under all conditions imaginable, and have not the slightest issue. I've shot in -30º F below, dust, rain storms, etc...
No worries, my friend.
08-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #57
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Resurrecting the thread:

Sorry to resurrect this thread people but I just had to present my own K5 rear monitor problem: it isn't sucking dust between the screen protector and the LCD screen itself but it has started to show a certain amount of what appears to be a glue-like substance (and "bubbly") when I press on the right side of the screen (protector).
The said screen protector is definitely a bit loose.

Now, there isn't any dust gathering (yet) but I am concerned that this will get worse as time goes by and perhaps compromise the sealing property of the LCD screen itself.

Should I just fix this myself of AGAIN send the K5 to Pentax? It is still under warranty but I just got it back from their repair shop for another problem ("battery depleted" - freezing the camera)
I see that jamesm007 did a good job at fixing his a while back ,,, so maybe I should do it myself. I don't want to be without the camera for yet another 2 to 4 weeks!

This picture below is not that of my K5; just a pic taken from somewhere else to show where the problem is:

Last edited by jpzk; 01-15-2013 at 07:58 PM.
04-13-2014, 10:16 AM   #58

I have had my k-50 for a few weeks and I have the same problem. Dust under my LCD and it is getting worse with use. I use the 18-135 WR lens. I am waiting to hear back from the seller. But as of yet, I don't know why it is happening. The camera is new. I am unhappy. You are not alone. This seems to be a common issue.
04-21-2014, 04:40 AM   #59
Pentaxian

Suggestion... I have had to deal with dust getting behind the LCD screen with other systems I have owned. Now when I buy a new camera I order an ACMAXX LCD Armor at the same time. This helps protect my LCD's and adds some additional weather resistance, however some dust may get behind it also but it is easier to remove and clean it then dealing with dust getting behind the camera screen.

ACMAXX LCD ARMOR
04-22-2014, 05:08 AM   #60
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Suggestion... I have had to deal with dust getting behind the LCD screen with other systems I have owned. Now when I buy a new camera I order an ACMAXX LCD Armor at the same time. This helps protect my LCD's and adds some additional weather resistance, however some dust may get behind it also but it is easier to remove and clean it then dealing with dust getting behind the camera screen.

ACMAXX LCD ARMOR
I('ll agree with this approach. I put one (set) on my K10D when I got it in 2007 and one (set) on my wife's K200D when I got it just a little later. I also installed one (set) on my K5ii that I purchased a few months ago. Great protective covers. I haven't had any problems with any of these in any way at all. Cheap insurance.