Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2011, 11:25 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Better DA* or Limited?

Sorry if i post here but i can't in the Lens Club.
I was thinking about that thing just because ... new in the Pentax world i would like to know from expert and PRO Users which is best.
I have with my K-5 as you could see in my signature, a 16-50 DA* and the 50-135 DA* that i bought to have the best quality in Pentax.
But reading on some UK magazine the quality of Limited that could be compared at L series and Nikkor lens i started to be curious.
Thanx for all the reply Marco

05-03-2011, 11:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarcoBorghesi Quote
Sorry if i post here but i can't in the Lens Club.
I was thinking about that thing just because ... new in the Pentax world i would like to know from expert and PRO Users which is best.
I have with my K-5 as you could see in my signature, a 16-50 DA* and the 50-135 DA* that i bought to have the best quality in Pentax.
But reading on some UK magazine the quality of Limited that could be compared at L series and Nikkor lens i started to be curious.
Thanx for all the reply Marco
The LTD line is all primes, no zooms. The DA* would be the Pentax equivalent of Canon L glass; the LTD are in a class by themselves. As far as I know, the only OEM lenses with all-metal construction now.
05-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Limited lenses are excellent but (generally) slow and compact, whereas DA*'s are faster and weather-sealed, but more bulky. Neither series is complete as far as coverage goes: they actually complement each other more than anything.

With Pentax's poor overall lens coverage, however, you still have to turn to legacy or third-party glass if you want lenses that can match up with all the L's.

Fast Sports Zoom Lenses for Pentax | Sigma 70-200mm vs. Tamron 70-200mm vs. Pentax FA* 80-200mm F2.8
Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Review
Sigma Zoom Telephoto 120-300mm f/2.8 EX APO DG IF HSM 135101 B&H

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-03-2011, 11:48 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
great ... mean i did the right choice then for PRO uses of my new equipment

05-04-2011, 01:05 AM   #5
nah

The DA* 16-50mm doesn't impress me, I rather shoot with my Ltds.

I think my next target is the 15mm Ltd and sell the 16-50mm.
05-04-2011, 04:35 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarcoBorghesi Quote
great ... mean i did the right choice then for PRO uses of my new equipment
I wouldn't worry. You should be able to great photos with your equipment. I think the question you need to ask yourself, with regard to buying a prime, is what focal length you think you would use the most. If you do portraiture a lot, the DA 70, FA 77, or DA *55 would all be reasonable options.

The DA * designation lets you know that a lens has weather sealing and SDM. Limiteds tend to be small and are screw driven (noisier). All of them have good quality (understanding that zooms are slower than primes and tend not to be as sharp at similar apertures).
05-04-2011, 04:47 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Limited lenses are excellent but (generally) slow and compact, whereas DA*'s are faster and weather-sealed, but more bulky. Neither series is complete as far as coverage goes: they actually complement each other more than anything.
Actually, the FA ltd's are just about as fast as anything out there at f/1.8, f/1.9 and f/1.8 for the 31mm, 43mm and 77mm respectively.

NaCl(the DA ltds are a little slower tho)H2O

05-04-2011, 10:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have several of the DA* and DA Limited lenses. Image-quality wise, I find them fairly equivalent (I'm not a pixel-peeper). I'm starting to see problems with the SDM focusing on both 16-50 and 50-135, so that's annoying. However, as long as the focus works, they are very nice lenses.

The DA Limited lenses are small, but not as fast. With the high ISO capability of the K5, the lack of speed isn't that big of an issue in low light. I like the small size with good image quality. They fit the smaller K5 a little better than the K20D in my opinion, but work the same on both.

If you like the size of the 16-50 and 50-135, you should be happy with images and weather sealing. It's a nice pro kit.
05-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Actually, the FA ltd's are just about as fast as anything out there at f/1.8, f/1.9 and f/1.8 for the 31mm, 43mm and 77mm respectively.

NaCl(the DA ltds are a little slower tho)H2O
And there's a good chance that if a magazine was talking in superlatives about the Pentax limiteds, that in fact they were talking about the FA limiteds, or at least that they were including them in the group.
05-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #10

I could say that FA ltd's is fast compared even to DA*
05-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #11

Marco,
* (star) series are meant to be the professional ones while Limited series go for creative work. Feel confused? It's ok, you're not alone - in many languages the word 'professional' is used the wrong way nowadays.
Professional - that's not meant to be about quality at all, that's only about money. A professional equipment is one that is designed to earn money, nothing more nor less. Yep, it may be considered to be built on some level that is de facto assumed as a standard for such equipment for nowadays, but that's an extended term interpretation.

You helped somebody and got paid? You're a pro. You did something for free? You're an amateur. Is the professional work always better then amateur? No, it's only the paid one.

If you've got to be the 1st kid on the block, then you need * series (whenever silverish FA* or blackish DA*) since these boys are big and noticeable. You need something special? Go study specs and rendering for each lens. You're tight in the weight and size? Forget the stars, go Limited.

Good luck,
Zig

P.S.
If it makes it any bit clear, let me put it this way:
- a professional drill has the power rating specified for a given duty cycle (e.g. 1.5kW @10/25: for 10 minutes of load and 25 minutes of idling rest afterwards)
- an ordinary drill goes with power rating only

Although this post scriptum may give you more confuse that you're having right now

Last edited by Siegfried; 05-04-2011 at 01:59 PM.
05-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #12

Marco,
I thought to make it a bit more clear, but first please confirm you're 18yrs old or above (or whatever age is considered to be legal for R-rated content in your country). If you're not legal for R-rate content please do not read below.

If you get laid and get paid - you're a professional prostitute. That's *-series.
If you get laid and not get get paid, but you do it very creative - you're a real macho man (or chica bomb should you turn out to be a female). That's the Limited series.
If you get laid and not get paid and you do it... just most of us do - you're an ordinary person having ordinary wishes, demands and skills. That's the other stuff rather then Lims and Stars.

Zig
(who never pays nor ever got paid should that happen)
05-04-2011, 10:56 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
nice explanation self
don't worry i'm above 18 ...
05-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

FA ltds have better IQ than a DA* and are an absolute joy to use. DA* zooms are best when you absolutely need the shot and don't have complete control over the subject or your position.
05-06-2011, 07:47 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
FA ltds have better IQ than a DA* and are an absolute joy to use. DA* zooms are best when you absolutely need the shot and don't have complete control over the subject or your position.
That's an interesting take, twitch. I can't argue with that. Though I might say that the FA Ltds. have more interesting IQ, not necessarily always better. Depends on what you're going for. Plus, of course, not all DA*'s are zooms. I love my DA*55 almost as much as the trio, though I personally prefer their style.