Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K5 for $1199...do you think this site is legit? I'm thinking of buying it.

http://www.ajrichard.com/Pentax-K-5-Body/p-326?refid=Ibcart

05-05-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
718 area code includes brooklyn, home to many a bait and switch operator. I'd do a little research on google. The quick search I did didn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling about them.
05-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

a colleague of mine purchased at AJrichards and he got a great deal.

05-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Keep us posted on what you decide, looks like a tempting deal if it's all good!
05-05-2011, 10:44 PM   #6

Original Poster
I purchased it. Hopefully everything works out ok. I'll keep you all posted.
05-06-2011, 04:48 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

B&H's price was $140 more. It will be interesting to see how close the real battery, shipping insurance and memory cards come to that.

05-06-2011, 06:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Otis says to trust B&H, he has never been cheated or scammed there in many transactions over the years. You may recall when he ordered a boxcar full of peanuts from a shady New York dealer last year........He received a toy train boxcar with about 4-6 peanuts in it. Of course, Otis had his Army to "make things right", but still, it was a hassle.

B&H or Adorama will not cheat you, that has to be worth something......and given that the K5 has been known to have a few problems, what about returns? We know B&H and Adorama are easy to deal with on returns....... unlike the "SLY Peanut Co." that Otis dealt with. His Army men had to use Preparation H in returning that toy boxcar......I bet that hurt!

Best Regards!
05-06-2011, 06:10 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Otis says to trust B&H, he has never been cheated or scammed there in many transactions over the years. You may recall when he ordered a boxcar full of peanuts from a shady New York dealer last year........He received a toy train boxcar with about 4-6 peanuts in it. Of course, Otis had his Army to "make things right", but still, it was a hassle.

B&H or Adorama will not cheat you, that has to be worth something......and given that the K5 has been known to have a few problems, what about returns? We know B&H and Adorama are easy to deal with on returns....... unlike the "SLY Peanut Co." that Otis dealt with. His Army men had to use Preparation H in returning that toy boxcar......I bet that hurt!

Best Regards!
I don't know Rupert. It seems that Otis got what was advertised. He did in fact get a Box car full of peanuts. Did he ever ask how big the box car was? I can understand his disappointment but the prep H return sounds a little harsh

05-06-2011, 06:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Harsh? Not if the OP gets a toy K5!

Otis has his own rules for Justice.....I never argue, it just isn't smart. Before I signed that contract agreeing to supply Squirrel feed 24/7 365, I spent over $700 for a new wiring harness on my Jeep Wrangler. Was it harsh of Otis to shred my wiring? Yes, I though it was, but I had been warned.

On the Preparation H......Otis loaded the tube with seeds from ripe Jalapenos.....I'm betting someone is still squealing. He has no need for a navy, so has no Seals......he just calls his Special Ops Team Army Squeals. I never cross Otis.

Best Regards!
05-06-2011, 07:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crossover37 Quote
I purchased it. Hopefully everything works out ok. I'll keep you all posted.
Now you will get a phone call asking you if you want a battery and charger (both of which come with the camera) for $XXXX. Then they will ask if you want the strap (again, comes with the camera) for an additional $XXXX. In the end, you will end up paying more than if you ordered it at a reputable dealer. If you tell them you don't want the 'extras', they will tell you the camera is out of stock and cancel your order.

The ONLY other possible way the price could be legitimate is if the camera is a return/refurbish.

Let us know which one of the above is right.
05-06-2011, 07:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

When spending 1200 bucks....is it really going to break your back to spend an additional 200?
That's the way I looked at it when I bought my K5 from B&H. 200 bucks for a piece of mind and warranty that you know will be honored is a small price to pay.
I'd probably pay 50 bucks to not have to reply to all the questions in this thread regarding the 200 bucks you saved.
Good Luck.....waiting to here the results a few months from now.
05-06-2011, 08:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I forgot to mention that K5's bought at B&H also carry the Otis Guarantee. You have to mail Otis to get all the details, but it is pretty thorough. Those guys at the SLY Peanut Co. found out how effective it was......
Best Regards!
05-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #14
Inactive Account

For what it is worth, I ordered my K5 yesterday from B&H with nest day UPS. That order was placed at 2PM their time. I just unwrapped it, and I am charging the battery, That overnight cost me 38 dollars. Now JR Richard whom I had talked to on Wednesday, was less than polite, and wanted 80 dollars for the same shipping. They could not answer any question about the camera. I did that to 5 other places that had that camera for less than B&H. It was worth the extra money to get it here today. I will order from B&H again. Just my 2 cents.

Oh one more thing.

I LOVE THIS CAMERA!!! IT SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOL

Hope you order one soon!!!
05-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Now you will get a phone call asking you if you want a battery and charger (both of which come with the camera) for $XXXX. Then they will ask if you want the strap (again, comes with the camera) for an additional $XXXX. In the end, you will end up paying more than if you ordered it at a reputable dealer. If you tell them you don't want the 'extras', they will tell you the camera is out of stock and cancel your order.

The ONLY other possible way the price could be legitimate is if the camera is a return/refurbish.

Let us know which one of the above is right.
Their website terms, which I read in detail, say all manufacturer accessories are included, and all items are new unless otherwise noted.

You get a 15% restocking fee for whatever reason the camera is returned, and you don't get to "try" it first then send it back - it must be an unopened box.