Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2011, 06:02 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
K5 software

Here I am at work doing the important stuff. Asking questions about my cameras. Anyway. I have a Kx and use the Pentax software to process my raw images. When my K5 gets here, Will the Pentax processing software any different than the Kx?

05-06-2011, 06:12 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since the Kx is a generation behind the K5, you will likely have to update the software.

05-06-2011, 06:25 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks. I will more than likely just delete the old pentax utility and use the new one.
05-06-2011, 06:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have not loaded the K5 software.....anyone here using it, and how do you find it? Since it is apparently Silkypix based, it should be excellent in the color department?
Regards!

05-06-2011, 07:03 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I use the Kx software now, and it is easy to process the raw into JPEG. So I am going to continue to use it. I use Corel Pro X3 for my JPEG, It works great. I am leaving work early today, since the K5 will be at my house in 1 hour. (my daughter works for UPS and has the package as I type) I think my glads are swollen!
05-06-2011, 07:36 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Hi ggeorge11,

I also never bothered to load the K-5 Silkypix software, as I already have a shed full of editing software, DxO Optics Pro, Sigma Photo Pro, Aperture 3 & Adobe's Lightroom 3.4.
I just settled down with Lightroom, it does all I want, in particular, the ability to correct Lens distortion,Vertical & Horizontal shift, a sort of poor man's Shift Lens. Very useful for my Architecture shots.
Now that I have the excellent K-5, I've stopped using Raw and use Premium Jpeg. Lightroom is just used for editing Highlight & Shadow clippings and the "Architecture Shift Lens" facility.

I'm fond of the KISS philosophy, keep it simple, stupid!

Kind regards,

Roy
05-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the insight Roy3. I am going to try all sorts of options, to include just the JPEG. To be honest, I only shot RAW when I did not think that I was messing up the exposure and WB. I just got home and unwrapped the K5, So play time officially begins ....... NOW!

05-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #8

I did the same camera upgrade...only thing different is an update to silkypix (says it's more enhanced...haven't gotten into too much yet though).
05-06-2011, 07:42 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I put it on the computer a while ago, and it seems a little different from the other. I will use it and do the JPEGS w/ COREL
05-08-2011, 12:35 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Hi ggeorge11,

Taking advantage of the early morning light this morning, despite the overcast sky and the fact that it was raining, I took two shots, one Jpeg, one Raw.
Both shots were over saturated with highlight & shadow clipping.
I adjusted the saturation on both images to the same value in Lightroom.
The difference in image quality has totally changed my mind about using Jpeg.
I have switched back to Raw, permanently!

I suggest that if anyone wishes to do a comparison test between Raw & Jpeg, then choose shots taken when conditions are as described as above.
It's no use trying to compare images taken when there are nice blue skies and puffy white clouds as the differences in the images will be less noticeable.

I'd like to hear views on this by others more experienced than myself.

Regards,