Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K5 questions

Hi All,

While like most people I was looking at getting either canon or nikon. Then I happened to stumble upon this forum and in particular the no more tests just picture thread. I was just blown away with the photos in that thread.

I would like to get a K5 for indoor and outdoor architectural photos. The lens in my price range are the sigma 10-20 or the tamron 10-24. Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Phil

05-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome Phil. Do you have any specific questions? If you have questions about the lenses, check the SLR Lens forum, and the lens review section. One other lens to consider is the Pentax DA 12-24, but I don't have any firsthand experience with any of them.

Obviously, I think the K5 will serve your needs well. Have you thought about flash units?
05-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Phil, welcome here.
The K-5 is a very decent camera.
The Sigma 10-20 is a good interiors lens (has a little distortion), but so is the Tamron 10-24. My preference is for the Tamron, but I cannot objectively give reasons why. If 12mm is wide enough for you then the DA 12-24 is probably the ultimate choice in the K-mount.
05-06-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Guy's,

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the help. The K5 looks like an awesome body. I like to do HDR so the 5 exposure bracketing is a great help. I will take a look at the 12-24, just a little more pricey than the others.

The K5 seems to have so much going for it, so many great features.

phil

05-06-2011, 11:02 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Hi Phil,

Have you checked out dpreview website? they give excellent very searching reviews of virtually all cameras.
The review conclusion of the Pentax K-5 scored 83 whilst the Canon D7 scored 84. The site has facility for comparing cameras side by side. The reviews are quite technical, way over my head, but very well written and I think they can be relied upon.
For Lenses, take a look at Fred Miranda website (FM Reviews -) dedicated to Canon & Nikon, but the members give their opinions of all the 3rd party lenses, it's a good guide to Lens performance. I do wish they would include the Pentax lenses, but they do include Tokina that's part of the Pentax group.

I have the K-5 along with the Pentax 17-70 Lens, it is a serious bit of kit, it brings a smile to my face every time I use it.
So far, it's the best camera I've used over the period 1947-2011, yeah! from the day's of plate cameras & wooden tripods to todays modern offerings, I've had & tried them all.

Get the K-5, you won't be disappointed.

Regards,

Roy
05-07-2011, 01:24 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Roy,

Thanks for the post, yes I have checked out dpreview and every other corner of the web for info on cameras and lens.

Wow thats a lot of experience there Roy ! I remember 35mm film at college and learning to develop that was fun. The K5 is one amazing camera for the price, cant wait to get one.

phil
05-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by philby85 Quote
Hi All,

While like most people I was looking at getting either canon or nikon. Then I happened to stumble upon this forum and in particular the no more tests just picture thread. I was just blown away with the photos in that thread.

I would like to get a K5 for indoor and outdoor architectural photos. The lens in my price range are the sigma 10-20 or the tamron 10-24. Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Phil
How about Sigma 8-16? It's a huge difference between 8 and 10.
Indoor:

Outdoor:

05-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi Phil,

Definitely check out our k-5 review as well: Pentax DSLR Reviews | Pentax in-depth reviews | PentaxForums.com and remember if you get yours from b&h, you can sell any old gear for free through our marketplace!

The two biggest things that the k-5 has got going for it are image quality (it has arguably THE best aps-c sensor out there) and handling. The weather sealing, external buttons, top lcd and optional grip make it suitable for almost every shooting style and purpose!
05-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I am too biased to even begin to tell you about the K5, but it is all bias based on the excellent results and handling it delivers.

I have the Sigma 10-20 HSM 3.5 but can tell you little of it. I bought it for a vacation last year and almost never used it. Results are excellent, but it just doesn't fit my style or subjects in 99% of my shooting. The build is excellent, the focus is lightning fast and the resolution is superb, but it is lousy at shooting Squirrels....if you get close enough, it will do a nice Squirrel, but have you ever smelled a Squirrel's breath?

Best Regards & Hope you get a K5...come back here and tell us about it, we would be most interested!
Rupert
05-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I just started using the K5 and the Tamron for my real estate stuff......its awesome.....the DR is the kicker......and the 5 shot bracketing takes care of all the blown out windows ...
cheers
Jan
05-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Guy's,

Thanks for the kind welcome and replies.

Tesdasi, I had thought of the 8-16 but that is sooooo wide LOL

Rupert, I love your photos of Otis, the K5 is amazing with its detail and depth with animals and insects. I really feel like I am looking right at Otis when I see your beautiful pics.

Ash, Enjoyed reading your profile, very interesting story, I am on the sunshine coast so I can enjoy the beautiful weather as you do.

Hi Jan, yes the K5 features sounds like it is a great camera for real estate photos. Have you seen the work of mike kelley ? Amazing use of HDR for real estate work.

Thanks again everyone

Phil
05-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
another sigma 8-16 fan here - wonderful lens and *not* too wide at all
05-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #13
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ash, Enjoyed reading your profile, very interesting story, I am on the sunshine coast so I can enjoy the beautiful weather as you do.
Phil

Thanks Phil.
The Sunny Coast has a special place in myself & my family's hearts - a beautiful part of the world.

As for the extra width of the Sigma, the extra couple of mm does come in handy at times (you'd be surprised how wide you want to go sometimes) but the main issue with such wide lenses is the amount of perspective distortion that has to be introduced as you can see from the above posted examples. Some of this can be corrected in PP and even your framing can help to minimise its unwanted effects, but it can be problematic, particularly with non central/symmetrical compositions. This is why I have found the DA 12-24 to be the best in this application (if 12mm is wide enough) - it offers great image quality without too much distortion.

Last edited by Ash; 05-07-2011 at 03:49 PM.
05-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Thanks Phil.
The Sunny Coast has a special place in myself & my family's hearts - a beautiful part of the world.

As for the extra width of the Sigma, the extra couple of mm does come in handy at times (you'd be surprised how wide you want to go sometimes) but the main issue with such wide lenses is the amount of perspective distortion that has to be introduced as you can see from the above posted examples. Some of this can be corrected in PP and even your framing can help to minimise its unwanted effects, but it can be problematic, particularly with non central/symmetrical compositions. This is why I have found the DA 12-24 to be the best in this application (if 12mm is wide enough) - it offers great image quality without too much distortion.

Hey Ash, thanks again, yes the distortion is a factor, also on the 8-16 you cant use filters either. So it's a choice of how wide, do i need filters and how i can handle the distortion in PP.

phil
05-08-2011, 03:59 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Hi Roy,

Thanks for the post, yes I have checked out dpreview and every other corner of the web for info on cameras and lens.

Wow thats a lot of experience there Roy ! I remember 35mm film at college and learning to develop that was fun. The K5 is one amazing camera for the price, cant wait to get one.

phil
Hi Phil,

Never, never, be impressed by experience.

Once I had a toolroom Foreman working for me who had vast experience, but sadly, he turned out to be useless.

Certainly be impressed by quality experience, all I can say about myself is that I just get by, sometimes barely, sometimes by the skin of my teeth!

Regards