Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #346
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice job, Kevin. And, yes, the great temptation to remove awful city skyglow is to just make it monochrome. You did a great job here.

Jack

04-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #347

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnc Quote
Loving the awesome shots on here. And I would love to try some deep-sky objects when time/budget allows.

Thanks for all those posting whose tips I have drawn on in producing this image. This is a cross-post from DA* Lens Club - DA*16-50, based on around 12-15 times 30 second exposures (for the sky) together with a single exposure for the ground/sea-loch.

I have visited this location before and in retrospect I now know I could have improved this shot. I am slowly learning about how to do this stuff better.

The conditions were a notch less clear (and far more windy) than the previous occasion that I was lucky enough to get to the location. I was forced to ISO1600 for the sky by me stupidly leaving the CPL in place following a day's shooting - Doh! Without it I could easily have used ISO 800, which I find to be really significantly better for wide angle (this is 22mm) where conditions allow reasonable performance with long exposures at f2.8 or f3.5. I've found that at ISO800 the noise can be sufficiently low to avoid the requirement to stack altogether.

For those interested, this image has been put together using StarStaX's average function (following alignment in Photoshop) for the sky. Some minor post-processing in Photoshop has been undertaken to de-oval the stars (30s at 22mm seems to just about result in ovals!). The ground is a single exposure of around 30s ISO 800... all tweaked afterwards in Lightroom.

I'm still learning about the best post-processing for these kinds of shots - I am TRYING to avoid the current vogue for desaturating the sky and applying a midnight blue filter over the resultant area - though this seems to be a great way of controlling many of the undesirable artefacts inherent in this kind of photograph.

John
Wow. Beautiful. Which Loch been up in Scotland this week working.
04-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #348
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DayleT Quote
Wow. Beautiful. Which Loch been up in Scotland this week working.
Loch Creran.... though there's a lot of amazing spots to choose from up there
04-08-2013, 02:48 AM   #349

Regarding o-gps, what means a good calibration, how do you calibrate? According to the user manual, you should rotate 180' or more on each axis, how do you do this? Rotate 180' on one axis, rotate back then rotate on the other axis and back? Or just totate 180' on one axis, don't rotate back, and then rotate on others? Is rather complicate, I should build a device that allows rotating on three axis.

Last edited by valy; 04-08-2013 at 03:01 AM.
04-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #350
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by valy Quote
Regarding o-gps, what means a good calibration, how do you calibrate? According to the user manual, you should rotate 180' or more on each axis, how do you do this? Rotate 180' on one axis, rotate back then rotate on the other axis and back? Or just totate 180' on one axis, don't rotate back, and then rotate on others? Is rather complicate, I should build a device that allows rotating on three axis.
I hate the calibration process. Pentax invented it to increase repair income as we drop our cameras I try to rotate one axis at a time: back and forth 180 degrees in yaw first, then roll, and finally pitch.
04-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #351
Site Supporter

I do the rough calibration first followed by the precise calilbration. And yes, lots of movement around the three camera axes. I find it works better if you don't swing it around too quickly but make sure you move it at least 180 degrees in each direction. Can be a pain with the camera already on a tripod.

Jack.
04-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #352

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
I do the rough calibration first followed by the precise calilbration.
What's the difference between rough and precise, in the manual they are the same: we must rotate 180 on each axe.
04-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #353
Site Supporter

Not sure if there is any difference in the manual. But for me the astrotracing works much better if I do one before the other. The first Calibration is part of the main GPS menu and the precise is part of the Astrotracer menu. Oh, and I always stand looking at magnetic north when I do the calibrations.

04-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #354
Pentaxian

I've noticed the rough calibration is easier - spin the camera as directed and it always calibrates with one swing in each direction. Precise calibration is more picky and sometimes forces me to spin the camera more than once.
04-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #355

After the precise calibration there should be a confirmation message or something?
04-09-2013, 05:12 AM   #356
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by valy Quote
After the precise calibration there should be a confirmation message or something?
You can find a good deal of information, supplemetary to that of the manual, here:

GPS UNIT O-GPS1 | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

04-09-2013, 05:30 AM   #357

Thanks for the link, I think it solves the mystery .
04-09-2013, 05:40 AM   #358
Forum Member

Now that there is no longer clear and dark enough skies for me until late august, I can try to process my pictures. I would like to know good and easy way for pp. Do you guys first stack and then adjust levels or is stacking the last operation before crop? For example could you consider shooting raw -> convert to tiff maybe -> stacking -> import to Photoshop and using its awesome powers. It would be nice to know your workflow.
04-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #359

I'm not a pro in this field, but i've noticed that other guys use special stacking software (for DSO images), at the end they process in usual pp software (gimp, ps, etc) so your approach might be ok: raw -> convert to tiff maybe -> stacking -> import to Photoshop
04-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #360
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ErZi Quote
Do you guys first stack and then adjust levels or is stacking the last operation before crop? For example could you consider shooting raw -> convert to tiff maybe -> stacking -> import to Photoshop
That is basically what everybody does. And the order of operations, First stacking and Then processing is the only "natural" because stacking improves the signal-to-noise ratio and thus, makes subsequent operations with curves and levels in PS or similar much easier.

Note: You may not necessarily have to convert your raw files to TIFF. I know of at least the current beta version of Deep Sky Stacker, that can handle my Pentax K-5 PEF raw files directly.