Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2013, 04:10 AM   #436

Photos: Albums
Love astrotrac!

QuoteOriginally posted by tonypysm Quote
No stack,just single 3 minute exposure.
Hello fellow AstroTrac owner! Great shots here. I haven't posted here for quite some time. Been really busy with work. Your shots look great. I'll post an image of my current setup on here sometime. (There may be one on my profile, not sure). Looking forward to more awesome pictures!

06-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #437

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The foreground blur suggests some sort of tracking. O-GPS1 or some form of equatorial?
Astrotrac TT320 O-GPS1 is great,it's cute and portable.

Last edited by tonypysm; 06-14-2013 at 07:38 PM.
06-15-2013, 12:15 AM   #438
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm a believer after reading the AstroTrac testimonials online and seeing your photos. I will be ordering the new 320-AG and a Manfrotto geared head soon. I can't wait to get started with these tools.

Jack
06-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #439
Forum Member

Astrotrac TT320 O-GPS1 is great,it's cute and portable.
Tony,
Have you used the o-gps? Looking for some pros and cons comparision between the two. How sturdy a tripod does the Astrotrac need.

thanks

06-25-2013, 02:07 AM   #440

QuoteOriginally posted by djseeram Quote
Tony,
Have you used the o-gps? Looking for some pros and cons comparision between the two. How sturdy a tripod does the Astrotrac need.

thanks
Hi,djseeram
I think OGPS has high protability,suitable for Wide-angle nightsky photography,but one-time-shot,the CMOS will reset after tracking,so review is necessary.
Astrotrc has higher accuracy.Just take 1 minutes to adjust the polarfinder, it can provide accurate tracking within 3mins for 200mm lens,it's enough for the most of deepsky object.

Canon 1100DA+EF200/2.8 and Astrotrac TT320:

06-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #441

Photos: Albums
Great Shot!

Hi,djseeram
I think OGPS has high protability,suitable for Wide-angle nightsky photography,but one-time-shot,the CMOS will reset after tracking,so review is necessary.
Astrotrc has higher accuracy.Just take 1 minutes to adjust the polarfinder, it can provide accurate tracking within 3mins for 200mm lens,it's enough for the most of deepsky object.

Canon 1100DA+EF200/2.8 and Astrotrac TT320:

I really like your laser pointer finder idea. That's awesome! And AMAZING wide field shot of Orion. Is your camera modified at all? I'm currently stationed in Japan and it's rain season here so I haven't been able to capture anything. Also what stacking program do you use? Thanks!

My current setup
06-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #442

QuoteOriginally posted by GWARmachine Quote
I really like your laser pointer finder idea. That's awesome! And AMAZING wide field shot of Orion. Is your camera modified at all? I'm currently stationed in Japan and it's rain season here so I haven't been able to capture anything. Also what stacking program do you use? Thanks!

My current setup
Yes,the 1100d has been modified,i use DSS for stacking usually.
There's some astrophotograpys being taken for few years ago and the camera was KX.

M31
Single exposure for 140 second, ISO1600,K-X Takumar 200/f4

M8 M20
Single exposure for 70 second, ISO1600,K-X Takumar 200/f4

06-25-2013, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #443

Annular solar eclipse 2010-01-15
Pentax kx and Da18-55
Original size:http://www.flickr.com/photos/81355352@N07/9047420480/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Transit of Venus 2012-06-06

06-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #444

O-GPS1/K5 Nubbie

Hello to all!!
I have loved reading this tread and your pictures are amazing. I am very new to my K5 and just got my O-GPS1 yesterday. I have sooo many questions. Is there an "Idiots Guide to K5/O-GPS1 Astrophotography" thread that I have missed. Upon reading the sparse manual it says to use the B mode setting. Does the O-GPS1 set the shutter speed, Aperture, and ISO levels automatically based on the lens attached? Does it also lock up the mirror to reduce vibration? Please save me from myself!! I know just enough to get into trouble. I have a trip planned next week to Acadia and there will be a New Moon during my trip and I would love to get some great use out of this combo from on top of Cadillac Mountain. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Jeff
06-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #445

Astrotrack menu sets the exposure time (in seconds), but the iso, aperture you set. I didn't check, but I assume if you put it on mirror lockup it must lock it up when fire. The only problem I have now unsolved is the calibration, reading here you will find some valuable infos about this.
Charge the batteries, take it outside, check how to focus, check the menu, calibration, make some tests before the travel.
06-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #446
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Camera *must* be in Bulb to use Astrotrac. The reason is that the Astrotrac menu settings control the exposure time. I use IR remote release with two-stage release - first press to lock mirror up, second press to open shutter. This minimizes potential vibration. I also do the general calibration on the GPS menu as well as the precise calibration on the Astrotrac menu. Seems to help.

Jack
06-26-2013, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #447

06-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #448
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sweetman Quote
Hello to all!!
I have loved reading this tread and your pictures are amazing. I am very new to my K5 and just got my O-GPS1 yesterday. I have sooo many questions. Is there an "Idiots Guide to K5/O-GPS1 Astrophotography" thread that I have missed. Upon reading the sparse manual it says to use the B mode setting. Does the O-GPS1 set the shutter speed, Aperture, and ISO levels automatically based on the lens attached? Does it also lock up the mirror to reduce vibration? Please save me from myself!! I know just enough to get into trouble. I have a trip planned next week to Acadia and there will be a New Moon during my trip and I would love to get some great use out of this combo from on top of Cadillac Mountain. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Jeff
Hello Jeff, congratulations with your new K-5 and O-GPS1. Something tells me that you are very new, as we all were at some point in time, to astrophotography, so be warned: A good camera and a tracking device do not alone secure good astrophotos. May I suggest that you browse a few tutorials such as the 'Quick Start Guide 1 and 2' here:

Astrophotography Techniques

Now to your specific questions: The O-GPS1 does not set the exposure time depending upon lens focal length unless you ask it to, and it isn't really a setting you can trustfully use. It is rather a recommended maximum exposure time before you will get excessive star trails - and that in your full, uncropped image! Regarding aperture, ISO setting, mirror lock-up and everything else it is not set by any automatics. You have the freedom to set it as you wish, and that's the way it should be.. Because no tracking device will "know" the brightness of your local sky (seasonal and light pollution), the quality of seeing, what it is that you want to capture on this particular night (e.g. dim nebula vs. bright constellation stars vs. meteors or what ever).

So, learning by doing and by looking at what others have done with similar equipment (provided that they also provide their exposure details!) is the best advice I can give you. As far as my suggested camera settings are concerned, you may find a compilation here:

Camera Settings for Astrophotography
07-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #449

07-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #450

Very nice the last images

Few nights ago I found the mastery: when calibrate the OGPS you should move rather quick/violent, initially I thought that you should rotate easily and precise but no success.