Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2015, 12:01 PM   #886
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 76
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
i think that last one was 2min exposure using the O-GPS1, f/5.6, 10mm, ISO1280
Thanks, Mike.

07-22-2015, 01:20 PM   #887
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 76
Does anyone know anything about which astro imaging software supports Pentax DSLR cameras. I was on the Cloudy Nights imaging forum and I had inquired about Maxim DL software. Apparently, Maxim provides camera capture includes guiding and modeling (Maxpoint) as well as full stacking, various filters and viewing options. Many people use BackyardEOS or BackyardNIKON but these don't support Pentax either. A lower cost alternative to Maxim is Nebulosity but you also need guiding software for a reasonably full solution to astro imaging with the DSLR camera. I don't know for sure of any product which will work with a Pentax camera directly. One can certainly use an intervalometer, focus with live view on the back of the screen, convert the results into TIFF and then use some other programs to measure quality, align and stack. Any suggestions by anyone? Thanks.
07-24-2015, 04:09 PM   #888
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 55
Anyone know if there is a calculator to compare different lens focal lengths and Apertures.

IE I have a Rokinon 14mm F2.8 Lens So I tend to take up to 25 second shots for night sky.
But say if I was looking into the Sigma 35mm F1.4 Art I could take up to 10 second shots.

So which one would get the most light within those seconds. There is probably some formula to determine this but I do not know it.
07-24-2015, 04:23 PM   #889
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,048
QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
Anyone know if there is a calculator to compare different lens focal lengths and Apertures.

IE I have a Rokinon 14mm F2.8 Lens So I tend to take up to 25 second shots for night sky.
But say if I was looking into the Sigma 35mm F1.4 Art I could take up to 10 second shots.

So which one would get the most light within those seconds. There is probably some formula to determine this but I do not know it.
Take a look at LonelySpec. He has a scoring criteria for comparing various lenses...Ian has reduced it to a spreadsheet...It looks like the best lens available for Pentax is the Sigma 18-35/f1.8 One note. He is suggesting that a 20 second exposure is possible. I think that 10 seconds at 18mm is probably the tops. I have a bunch of 15 second exposures that show star trailing.



07-24-2015, 05:35 PM   #890
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 55
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Take a look at LonelySpec. He has a scoring criteria for comparing various lenses...Ian has reduced it to a spreadsheet...It looks like the best lens available for Pentax is the Sigma 18-35/f1.8 One note. He is suggesting that a 20 second exposure is possible. I think that 10 seconds at 18mm is probably the tops. I have a bunch of 15 second exposures that show star trailing.

Thanks!
08-07-2015, 03:17 PM   #891
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 76
I want to use my Pentax K3 camera for astrophotography through a telescope. I am also interested in software for processing the photos/movies acquired with the K3 through the telescope. One such software processing program is "Nebulosity" which I am informed requires that the camera supports ASCOM anywhere or has ASCOM drivers. Any information would be most helpful to me. Thank you for your assistance.
08-07-2015, 08:17 PM   #892
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 3,161
QuoteOriginally posted by XLXW Quote
I want to use my Pentax K3 camera for astrophotography through a telescope. I am also interested in software for processing the photos/movies acquired with the K3 through the telescope. One such software processing program is "Nebulosity" which I am informed requires that the camera supports ASCOM anywhere or has ASCOM drivers. Any information would be most helpful to me. Thank you for your assistance.
I just replied in the other thread you started about that.
08-08-2015, 12:29 PM   #893
Senior Member
SKYGZR's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
Posts: 110
Cross posted from the K3 thread:

ASCOM is for Mount control, some focuser's and dedicated (CCD) astro camera's...it's NOT for DSLR's. More on ASCOM here: ASCOM - Standards for Astronomy

Canon and Nikon DSLR's can be controlled using Backyard EOS, or Backyard NIK O'Telescope
Stark-Labs: Home has software (Nebulosity) for some DSLR control (NO Pentax), Image processing, and guiding (PHD).

If you want to use your Pentax, you will have to either use the built in intervalometer, or the wired one as DeadJohn has suggested.

So, to answer your question, NO, Nebulosity will not control your Pentax, yet may be able to stack and register the files acquired by the Pentax (as DeadJohn points out).

Personally, I use Deep Sky Stacker DeepSkyStacker - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com for stacking from Pentax & Canon files, and Photoshop CS6 for processing.



08-10-2015, 11:57 PM - 1 Like   #894
Site Supporter
Pete_XL's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 207
From now on my beloved K5 will only play the second role shooting the night sky because I upgraded to the K3 II recently. As a Little good bye here's one of my favourite pictures with the Milky Way and shooting star over Westerwinkel Castle in Northrhine Westfalia, Germany.


08-11-2015, 07:18 AM   #895
Pentaxian
JimmyDranox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ploiesti, Romania
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,604
A very nice goodbye.
08-11-2015, 12:39 PM   #896
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 76
QuoteOriginally posted by Pete_XL Quote
From now on my beloved K5 will only play the second role shooting the night sky because I upgraded to the K3 II recently. As a Little good bye here's one of my favourite pictures with the Milky Way and shooting star over Westerwinkel Castle in Northrhine Westfalia, Germany.

Great photograph. Can I post it on Facebook, Pete? Let me know how the K3II works for you as I am trying to learn astrophotography with the K3.
08-11-2015, 10:13 PM   #897
Site Supporter
Pete_XL's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 207
QuoteOriginally posted by XLXW Quote
Great photograph. Can I post it on Facebook, Pete? Let me know how the K3II works for you as I am trying to learn astrophotography with the K3.


Of course you may post it, XLXW. I will stay in touch. Maybe the good bye was a bit premature because the K-5 stays a great tool for Astrophotography wether there is a K-3 in the house or not.


I will keep it, also because it's not worth giving it away for the little price that can be obtained selling it.

Pete
08-13-2015, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #898
Site Supporter
Pete_XL's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 207
QuoteOriginally posted by Pete_XL Quote
Of course you may post it, XLXW. I will stay in touch. Maybe the good bye was a bit premature because the K-5 stays a great tool for Astrophotography wether there is a K-3 in the house or not.


I will keep it, also because it's not worth giving it away for the little price that can be obtained selling it.

Pete


As I said, I love the K-5. And here is one more. Yesterday I tried to shoot the Perseid Meteor shower, but just one tiny shootig star crossed my lens within the time I had......






08-18-2015, 11:05 AM   #899
New Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Münster
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10
Some days ago on the nightly sky over Münster, Germany:



Large version.

E.
08-18-2015, 11:38 AM   #900
Loyal Site Supporter
Kath's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 694
QuoteOriginally posted by Pete_XL Quote
As I said, I love the K-5. And here is one more. Yesterday I tried to shoot the Perseid Meteor shower, but just one tiny shootig star crossed my lens within the time I had......






Love this shot! A real beauty. Fine work.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
activations, angle, camera, dslr, flickr, gps, images, interval, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, lake, leds, lens, pentax, pentax k-5, picture, shutter, sky, star, thanks, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Astrophotography iClick Pentax DSLR Discussion 1122 07-21-2016 09:18 PM
Astrophotography with Kr??? kooks Pentax K-r 5 04-23-2011 07:12 AM
Astrophotography Naturenut Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 4 09-09-2010 07:27 AM
Astrophotography with K10 J-Rod Photographic Technique 5 12-12-2009 06:08 PM
K7 And Astrophotography Christopher M.W.T Pentax DSLR Discussion 49 11-25-2009 08:51 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:53 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top