Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2012, 09:11 PM - 1 Like   #106

Photos: Albums
Here are some recents. Sorry for the inactivity. The weather has been very uncooperative.

08-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #107

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
I don't really think so. The one that comes closest seems to be PENTAX RICOHs own O-GPS1 home page:

ASTROTRACER | GPS UNIT O-GPS1 | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

Regarding camera and lens settings, they follow the same rules for astrophotography as with other types of gear. There are many good tutorials on that subject on the internet - so, I shall immodestly point to my own:

Camera Settings for Astrophotography

EDIT: I found this page in your own language with lots of inspiring Astrotracer photos from France:

PENTAX O-GPS1 l'ASTROTRACER [Topic Unique] - Accessoires - Photo - FORUM Le Grand Forum
Hello,

Thank you very much... I have a lot of things to read !

Regards.

Malsi
08-27-2012, 10:23 PM - 1 Like   #108
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Holy crap, Josh !! Love that Orion shot. Venus and Jupiter just overpower everything else. Orion can only be seen before dawn this time of year so I assume you were up very early or you stayed up really late
08-28-2012, 12:41 AM   #109
Inactive Account

look here! my shoot with k5 and Ogps1
15sX42 iso12800
sharpstar50ed+borg0.66X=220mm
pentax K5 ogps1
Fliter lps-p2

08-28-2012, 12:51 AM - 2 Likes   #110
Inactive Account

the other one use skywatcher 200 800 newtonian with televue paracorrII corrector.camera is pentax k5
iso1600 3mx5 iso3200 3x1 iso200 2X1
08-28-2012, 04:09 AM   #111
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I need to go back over this thread in detail, That last shot it stunning!
08-28-2012, 05:33 AM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gs2c Quote
the other one use skywatcher 200 800 newtonian with televue paracorrII corrector.camera is pentax k5
Nice shot.
08-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #113
Site Supporter

Now I know I will be forced to check out the telescope shop this coming weekend. Stunning work.

08-29-2012, 12:37 AM   #114
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gs2c Quote
Now, if I say that your Astrotracer images are great - which they are - what words should I then use for your Orion image? I am running out of superlatives........
08-29-2012, 01:08 AM   #115
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
Now, if I say that your Astrotracer images are great - which they are - what words should I then use for your Orion image? I am running out of superlatives........
Thanks for all the encouragement. I will bring more astrophotography
last year, I try to shooting planets with k5 hd video features. I would like to say that k5 is really a good machine.
Jupiter
1920X1080@25 700/1700fps stack

100% crop

full frame
09-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #116

32x zoomed Astro picture does not show stars as dots

Dear Forum members,

I just bought a K-5 and tried it out on the Belgian (not so dark) summer night sky.
After zooming the raw picture on the camera up to 32x I was surprised to see that the stars did not show up as dots or segments of a circle but
as strange forms (as the picture was not really sharp but the lens was put on infinity).

The tripod I used was not the most robust one, and the lens is a standard Pentax 50-200mm that came with the camera.

What is going wrong here? The tripod? The lens? The mirror flapping up and down and creating vibrations?

Thanks a lot in advance for the help and suggestions.

Best regards,

Stefan
09-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noste99 Quote
Dear Forum members,

I just bought a K-5 and tried it out on the Belgian (not so dark) summer night sky.
After zooming the raw picture on the camera up to 32x I was surprised to see that the stars did not show up as dots or segments of a circle but
as strange forms (as the picture was not really sharp but the lens was put on infinity).

The tripod I used was not the most robust one, and the lens is a standard Pentax 50-200mm that came with the camera.

What is going wrong here? The tripod? The lens? The mirror flapping up and down and creating vibrations?

Thanks a lot in advance for the help and suggestions.

Best regards,

Stefan
What f stop? What focal length? An example(s) would be good, you haven't provided enough info for even an educated guess.
09-02-2012, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #118
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noste99 Quote

Hi and welcome to the forums!

I'm not an expert but these came into my mind. There might be some vibrations caused by the wind, mirror flapping (try 2s timer), cars going by, walking near tripod etc. Last winter I was taking pictures on a frozen sea and it was not solid enough or wind was teasing me

One thing is also focusing to over infinity. Some telephoto lenses are designed to focus over infinity because of thermal expansion.

Hope to see some pictures from you!
09-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #119

QuoteOriginally posted by pixelsaurus Quote
What f stop? What focal length? An example(s) would be good, you haven't provided enough info for even an educated guess.
The f stop was 4 with focal length 50mm.

I tried yesterday also the full moon and it was rather blurred. This time with focal length 200mm and f=5.6. Exposure time was up to 1/500s but increasing the exposure does not result in sharper images.

Stefan
09-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #120

QuoteOriginally posted by ErZi Quote
Hi and welcome to the forums!

I'm not an expert but these came into my mind. There might be some vibrations caused by the wind, mirror flapping (try 2s timer), cars going by, walking near tripod etc. Last winter I was taking pictures on a frozen sea and it was not solid enough or wind was teasing me

One thing is also focusing to over infinity. Some telephoto lenses are designed to focus over infinity because of thermal expansion.

Hope to see some pictures from you!
Thanks for the suggestion about over-infinity for thermal expansion. It is probably that what causes the problem. I always used the timer for exactly that reason. There was no wind and no traffic nearby, so vibrations from cars etc. are probably not at the origin of my problem.
As I stated before, I tried yesterday evening the full moon and it was again blurred. Changing the exposure time does not change anything, so if it is about vibration a 1/500s exposure time should be rather OK and it isn't.

If there is an open sky tonight I will try again with special attention for the focus. I will also try to use the MUP in order to avoid even mirror vibration. I'll keep you posted!!!

Regards,

Stefan