Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2012, 07:39 AM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Argh. Forgot that stacking strips out the EXIF. Have to remember to add it all back in. Will cook up am exiftool script to do this. It was the DA* 300/4. Longest exposure I would attempt with this lens and the O-GPS-1 is around 7 seconds for celestial equator shots, and probably double that for polar images. Without the O-GPS1, I would get trailing at anything over 3 seconds at the equator so the unit at least doubles my times. With shorter focal lengths, the exposure times lengthen, of course. For your 200, it is probably somewhere around 15 - 30seconds but you would need to experiment. Not as long an exposure as advertised by the unit's specs but certainly it gives you an advantage for star work, especially since the K-5 already has minimal dark noise which allows you to use high ISOs. I can get down to about 14th magnitude using ISO3200. I do not need to do darks, flats, etc. What noise there may be is taken care of by stacking. With the O-GPS1 and the battery booster plug I wired up for the K-5, I have a small portable unit I can take anywhere for star work. I find the "continuous remote" shutter setting the most convenient for stacking work since the mirror stays locked up and the interval between shots is minimized.

03-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #77

Photos: Albums
Thank you so much. It's great to finally hear some good information about the GPS unit. Thanks again for sharing and of course, the more pictures the better. I just noticed your location, do you get to see any aurora where you are?
03-23-2012, 11:51 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We have had lots of aurora so far this late winter and spring as the sun has become active again. However, we have also had *lots* of cloudy skies so I have only seen timid versions of the oft-reported rip roaring northern lights on a couple of nights. There is still time, though, before the short summer days make it difficult to see them so I keep my eyes open.
03-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #79
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I shot this for testing purpose about 3 weeks ago using o-gps (second time on use) and 100mm WR macro. It is Mars

First stacked image I have made. 10 images, 6 x ISO400 and 4 x ISO800. 40s exposures.

I tried stacking with deep sky stacker version 3.3.2 but it crashed when I used DNG files. So I downloaded 3.3.3 beta and it worked well Picture is little bit cropped (in LR) because image from DSS had weird edges but I think it was caused by "mosaic" stacking method.

04-23-2012, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #80

Got a decent picture of the sun today. More pics coming as soon as the skies clear.

04-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #81

Good sunspots. Or stains?
Please can you put 100% crop of a sunspot? What settings, filter (baader for visual), scope did you use?

Thx.
04-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #82

QuoteOriginally posted by valy Quote
Good sunspots. Or stains?
Please can you put 100% crop of a sunspot? What settings, filter (baader for visual), scope did you use?

Thx.
For that image I used an Orion ED80mmCF telescope. This was an eyepiece projection picture done with a 25mm eyepiece with a 2x Barlow. I used a $15 Baader film filter that I received from Draco Productions. Camera settings were at ISO 200, 1/200sec. I adjusted the color in photoshop. I'm working on the crop now and I took another photo with higher magnification I'll post soon. On my way to work now though- thank you!

04-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #83
Veteran Member

I ordered an adapter from Starzonia. They made it for me and just charged the normal price, nice guys.
04-23-2012, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #84

Hi all:
This is a most interesting and useful thread. I have a new Pentax digital camera and I intend to use it with my astronomy gear.
Best regards to all.
04-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #85
Veteran Member

This post was in response to this question on page 5 of this thread.

"Telfish --

How did you attach the K-5 to the Hyperstar? I'm looking at the Celestron CPC Deluxe HD 1100 and I'm hoping to be able to use my K-5 for imaging. But I haven't seen that there is a k-mount adaptor for the Hyperstar. Any help would be *Greatly* appreciated!

thanks,
-- Steve."
04-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #86

QuoteOriginally posted by XLXW Quote
Hi all:
This is a most interesting and useful thread. I have a new Pentax digital camera and I intend to use it with my astronomy gear.
Best regards to all.
Please check out the Social Group, 'Astrophotography' on the forum as well. There are a few good topics on there. I was a Marine recruiter so excuse me if I always seem like I'm trying to get more members to join. Just like to have as much knowledge and shared experiences in there as possible. Good luck with the photos! I use my K-5 for everything, LOVE IT!
04-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #87

Thanks for the tip. I appreciate it. I'm still learning my way around this website.
04-26-2012, 04:53 AM   #88
Inactive Account

I don't do astrophotography but I am constatly amazed at what can an ordinary person capture with modern tools this looks like a great tool for education
can you guys post more pics for us who are only here to watch?
04-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mars and Regulus

Here is one from eleven days ago after Mars had recently completed its retrograde loop. This is a single frame taken from 30km south of Vancouver, BC. There was considerable light pollution so I had to work the black point to get it dark enough. Actually, the whole image was worked heavily but the K-5 raw file held its own and took it all in stride. Doing pp on a K-5 image is so rewarding. Taken with the O-GPS1, DA*300/4 at f8, 7 seconds, ISO3200 and heavily massaged in Darktable.

Jack
06-03-2012, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #90

Here's a video I made with my K-5 of the eclipse: