Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2012, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for that, Josh. Was too cloudy to catch that one here. Very nice vid.

Jack

07-03-2012, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #92
Veteran Member

Picture I took with Pentax K5 last week. It is of M27 (Dumbbell Nebula)

The image is 9 x 5 minute exposures stacked. Some obvious coma distortion on the sides of the picture. I have a coma corrector ordered, but its out of stock till late july This was shot within the city limits and on a light pollution map is White/Red as far as darkness rating goes. Can usually only see the brightest constellations in the sky.
Attached Images

07-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice shot doc. What scope and mount are you using.

I tried shooting M101 this past weekend using my EQ-1 mount and Orion ST80 to see how it stacked up against my O-GPS1 for tracking. As it turns out the O-GPS1 has a much higher keep rate. I took about an hours worth of subs but could only use about 4 minutes or so of it. Plus the transparency of the sky during this heat wave has been terrible at best.
Attached Images

07-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #94
Veteran Member

I'm using a Orion 8" Newtonian on a Skywatcher HEQ5 Mount. I've been wanting to go out of the city and give the dumbbell and some other targets another go. The sun doesn't set here till 11-12, and even after that there is some sort of twilight. The days are really long atm, so even if weather is being nice the window of taking subs is relatively short. Looking forward to when the days get at least an hour or so shorter.

I did M101 recently as well.
http://stevenkovickart.com/astro/M101_b.jpg

Again within city limits and really pushed the details which caused huge vignetting It turned out pretty decent for the short amount of subs. I'll have to attempt to do this one with an hours worth or more some time when the nights are longer.

07-22-2012, 11:42 PM   #95
Veteran Member

In two weeks, I am travelling to one of the darkest skies in North America... Pacific Rim National Park on Vancouver Island. For an excellent dark sky resource, check this out: Blue Marble Navigator - Night Lights 2010

Hopefully the weather cooperates and I figure out how to use the Pentax GPS add-on, which I will purchase tomorrow - after learning about it here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/167500-k5-o-gps1-astrophotogra...s-namibia.html

I hope to present some of my own astrophotos in about three weeks.
07-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #96
Veteran Member

Hey folks, I just posted these resources in another forum... FYI...

Check these excellent resources:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/167500-k5-o-gps1-astrophotogra...s-namibia.html

You should consider the o-GPS-1 as well: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/150881-pentax-o-gps1.html#post1586795
Some additional information about the o-GPS-1: New Pentax Astrotracer O-GPS1 on K-5 & K-4 DSLR

And here is a thread on shooting astrophotography at ISO 80 with the K5: Pentax K-5 at iso 80 is changing AstroPhotography ! [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Astrophotography with Pentax K-5
07-23-2012, 12:43 AM   #97
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
In two weeks, I am travelling to one of the darkest skies in North America... Pacific Rim National Park on Vancouver Island. For an excellent dark sky resource, check this out: Blue Marble Navigator - Night Lights 2010

Hopefully the weather cooperates and I figure out how to use the Pentax GPS add-on, which I will purchase tomorrow - after learning about it here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/167500-k5-o-gps1-astrophotogra...s-namibia.html

I hope to present some of my own astrophotos in about three weeks.
Thanks for the link to blue marble navigator. It is interesting. And good luck for your trip and take some good pictures. I still need to wait about month or more for dark skies..

07-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unfortunately, the whole west coast of Vancouver Island in summer is subject to being blanketed by the Northeast Paciifc fog bank which is found on the downstream side of the Northeast Pacific Ridge of high pressure, a semi-permanent summer feature. It usually burns back by the afternoon but then moves onshore again at night. Your best bet for astro shots will be in the evening hours. As well, there is a reason that all the major optical astronomical observatories are on the tops of mountains - low absolute humidities. Sea level observing will always be worse in comparison due to higher moisture levels in the air.

Jack
08-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got some time earlier this week to try out my new telescope on some old targets, M101 and M13. I think they turned out alright considering the moon was out and shining bright that night.

M101 is about 60 minutes worth of 90sec subs at ISO 800. M13 is a combination of 8x90sec subs at ISO 200 and 8x90sec subs at ISO 800. Scope was an Orion ED80.
Attached Images

08-10-2012, 01:16 AM   #100

Photos: Albums
Great shots!

These images look just fine to me Topher! Awesome! Oh, and thank you for posting these because I have the same scope (since March) and STILL haven't been able to use it yet. But it is finally clearing up here and maybe tonight will be a good night. This was great motivation to me. Thank you!!! What type of mount were you using?
08-10-2012, 03:21 AM   #101
Pentaxian

The North America Nebula and Astrotracer

Just wonderful shots Dr_who and TopherTheME,

Small lenses have their uses too:

The North America (and Pelican) Nebulae in Cygnus, The Swan.
Pentax K-5 with Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 55mm f/1.8 stopped down to f/2.8
5 images of 25 and 1 image of 60 seconds at ISO 1600 stacked in Deep Sky Stacker and contrast enhanced in PhotoImpact.

The image shown is a downsized version of a crop 2800 pixels wide. Click on image to see a larger version.

I used the Pentax O-GPS1 unit with the 'Astrotracer' function for these images.
08-13-2012, 12:36 AM   #102

Hi,
Is there any guides or web sites for astrophotography with Pentax camera + GPS Module?
Regards
Malsi
08-13-2012, 03:46 AM   #103
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Malsi Quote
Hi,
Is there any guides or web sites for astrophotography with Pentax camera + GPS Module?
Regards
Malsi
I don't really think so. The one that comes closest seems to be PENTAX RICOHs own O-GPS1 home page:

ASTROTRACER | GPS UNIT O-GPS1 | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

Regarding camera and lens settings, they follow the same rules for astrophotography as with other types of gear. There are many good tutorials on that subject on the internet - so, I shall immodestly point to my own:

Camera Settings for Astrophotography

EDIT: I found this page in your own language with lots of inspiring Astrotracer photos from France:

http://www.lesnumeriques.com/legrandforum/avis/Appareils-Photo-Camescopes-Nu...et_14162_1.htm

Last edited by Stone G.; 08-13-2012 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Additional info
08-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #104

Hi,

Thank you very much Your web site is great . I have a lot of work now .

Regards.

Malsi
08-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is one from a few nights ago. I couldn't stay up as late as I wanted to so skies were not quite as black as they could have been. The nearest small town was Blue River, BC on Highway 5 about 15 km to the east so light pollution was minimal. This shot is centered on the constellation Cassiopeia (the bright "W" in the middle). Also visible is the Andromeda Galaxy bottom right and the Double Cluster in Perseus bottom left. DA 35/2.4, f4.0, 54 seconds, ISO1600, O-GPS1. Minimal post-processing. Note that PF will likely compress this greatly on upload so it will look like crap. The DA35 is a stellar performer (no pun intended) with little aberrations nor coma.
Attached Images