Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2012, 02:04 AM   #211
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The one nice thing about the K5 line is that it handles under cold temperatures pretty well. I've had a few people ask me "how many batteries you go threw on 75 minutes of Exposures at -20C?" and I always reply "just one...but I always carry a backup just in case I forget to charge one"

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
12-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #212

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
@GnipGnop, nice moon shot. Was that a stack of at least 3 images: foreground, moon, stars to get everything properly exposed? What other processing was done?

It was a stack of 3 images. Stars are from a country drive to escape the city lights. Moon was from the summer and shot with a cheap 70-210 Tamron zoom, and the building was just shot downtown. The sky was orangy/blue since it was in the city, so I layered in the stars and used a layer blend to substitute the sky, and just cut out and pasted the moon after resizing.

I adjusted the exposure during processing in Lightroom to make sure everything was kosher.
12-14-2012, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #213
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Milky Way, Andromeda and a Geminid meteor

An image from early this morning. Shot with a K5, O-GPS1, Bower (Samyang) 14mm f2.8 lens, 1 minute exposure. A stack of 11 images, shot as PEF, developed in Lightroom. Distortion corrected with PTLens. Alignment by Autopano Pro and assembled in PS CS4.

i saw many more bright Geminids than I managed to capture. At least it was relatively clear this morning
Attached Images

12-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #214
Pentaxian

Very nice.
Did you have to manually do some magic to preserve the light streak from the meteor during the staking process?

12-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #215
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Very nice.
Did you have to manually do some magic to preserve the light streak from the meteor during the staking process?
Yes. I simply took the image layer with the meteor masked away everything but the meteor and added back to the top of the stack.
12-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #216

QuoteOriginally posted by SointulArt Quote
An image from early this morning. Shot with a K5, O-GPS1, Bower (Samyang) 14mm f2.8 lens, 1 minute exposure. A stack of 11 images, shot as PEF, developed in Lightroom. Distortion corrected with PTLens. Alignment by Autopano Pro and assembled in PS CS4.

i saw many more bright Geminids than I managed to capture. At least it was relatively clear this morning
Stoked to see this pic as I just purchased the same lens, then added the price of the software needed.

Still semi-stoked.
12-16-2012, 02:23 AM   #217
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SointulArt Quote

Very fine Milkyway image, SointulArt,

You intrigue me: "Distortion corrected with PTLens". I would read PT as Pan and Tilt(??), but could you please explain a bit further?

Thank you.

12-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #218
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
Very fine Milkyway image, SointulArt,

You intrigue me: "Distortion corrected with PTLens". I would read PT as Pan and Tilt(??), but could you please explain a bit further?

Thank you.
Here: PTLens Home Page
12-16-2012, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #219
Veteran Member

Some really impressive shots on here and knowledge of the field also.

These are a few of my first attempts with my new Samyang 14 2.8 for astrophotography on. I stacked two star trails and one starscape for each of these. So much to learn about this side of photography but i'm definitely loving it! The Samyang is amazing i have to say!

12-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #220
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That stacking looks great! Disneyesque
12-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #221
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
That stacking looks great! Disneyesque
Ha ha thanks very much VisualDarkness. Yeah i can see what you're saying there
12-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #222
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Thanks a lot - always good to learn something new (to me).
12-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #223
Veteran Member

Nice star trails captainbert, I personally like the first one the most of the batch but I like all of them.
12-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #224
Veteran Member

Orion Nebula on the night/morning of Dec. 15th-16th.

12-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #225
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arcturus Quote
Stoked to see this pic as I just purchased the same lens, then added the price of the software needed.

Still semi-stoked.
You don't necessarily need to buy software to get some great shots with this lens. For example, Deep Sky Stacker is a wonderful freeware app that can produce great results. A program like PixInsight can take your astrophotography to a new (and more complex) level, but no need to jump right in the deep end and spend a lot of money.

Without stacking you can still generate some very impressive images, with some basic image editing program and relatively long exposures and the O-GPS1 unit. Even without the GPS unit, you could take some fairly long exposures at higher ISO levels and get good results if you have relatively dark skies.