Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 399 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #241

Erick, use light room to get rid of that chroma noise

12-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #242
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Can somebody explain why my stacking (dss) fail like this?
1) Are you stacking images from the same time/session or different times/days
2)Was some form of tracking used
3)How many images are you stacking?
12-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #243
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
1) Are you stacking images from the same time/session or different times/days
2)Was some form of tracking used
3)How many images are you stacking?
It was from from the same session (interval mode).
No tracking
I don't remember that one and I've deleted the pics because they were a bit sub-par, probably partly the cause.

I tried to take away and add pics and different settings but that stack always ended up like that. The other one with even worse pics actually went just fine in all combinations.
12-31-2012, 09:09 AM   #244
Veteran Member

It was from from the same session (interval mode).
No tracking
I don't remember that one and I've deleted the pics because they were a bit sub-par, probably partly the cause.

I tried to take away and add pics and different settings but that stack always ended up like that. The other one with even worse pics actually went just fine in all combinations.
It's hard to tell without the original images you used to stack but it's possible there was significant movement that teh stacking software was having issues overlaying them.

12-31-2012, 09:44 AM   #245
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
It's hard to tell without the original images you used to stack but it's possible there was significant movement that teh stacking software was having issues overlaying them.
Quite possible, I I still don't get how that would result in the whitish shapes but I guess confusing the software can do a lot.
01-06-2013, 05:27 AM   #246
Pentaxian

gee, there's some wonderful work in this thread. i'm just getting started with astro, dont even have a decent tripod as yet, and it feels like i have a literal universe of new skills i will have to learn.
01-06-2013, 05:39 AM   #247
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by saladin Quote
gee, there's some wonderful work in this thread. i'm just getting started with astro, dont even have a decent tripod as yet, and it feels like i have a literal universe of new skills i will have to learn.
I feel that too! It's not like a different part of photography, it feels more like a completely new hobby.

01-06-2013, 05:56 AM   #248
Pentaxian

lol, i'm reluctant to even post a photo, given some of the magnificent photo's in here.

but i have to start somewhere, i guess.

all shot last night with K5, 24-60 f/2.8 sigma, single shots ( i haven't the faintest idea of "stacking", lol) , shot raw and processed in-camera.

01-06-2013, 06:05 AM   #249
Veteran Member

lol, i'm reluctant to even post a photo, given some of the magnificent photo's in here.

all shot last night with K5, 24-60 f/2.8 sigma, single shots ( i haven't the faintest idea of "stacking", lol) , shot raw and processed in-camera.

Much better than my attempts, dispite stacking 30-40 pics.

One short startrail I haven't posted:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #250
Veteran Member

Much better than my attempts, dispite stacking 30-40 pics.

One short startrail I haven't posted:
VisualDarkness - I hope your not "giving up, cause star trails are cool too". Just bugging, it's a very nice image

saladin- It's a nice image of Orion Constellation. It's interestign seeing how your location on earth changes your view. For example here in Alberta, Canada, the nebula is pretty much almost always under Orion's Belt not above.
01-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #251
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice pics saladin. Also nice to see Orion the way I grew up seeing it. As a kid growing up in Geelong, I never understood why books referred to orions belt and sword, when it was the wrong way around...

Darryl
01-20-2013, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #252
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is the latest of my astrophoto attempts with the K-5. Was really hoping to bring out more of the dust surrounding the nebula but the light pollution saturating the image after only 60 seconds. I had to push this one pretty hard. The image consists of 30x50" exposures at ISO 6400.

01-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #253
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TopherTheME Quote
Here is the latest of my astrophoto attempts with the K-5. Was really hoping to bring out more of the dust surrounding the nebula but the light pollution saturating the image after only 60 seconds. I had to push this one pretty hard. The image consists of 30x50" exposures at ISO 6400.
Wow - very impressive image TopherTheME!
01-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #254
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TopherTheME Quote
Do you have a nebula (aka UHC ultra high contrast and other names)? That will reduce light pollution and allow longer exposures. Nice image regardless.
01-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #255
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Do you have a nebula (aka UHC ultra high contrast and other names)? That will reduce light pollution and allow longer exposures. Nice image regardless.
Yeah I do, I just didn't use it. This image was more of a test of my new autoguider and I left the filter at home. If I ever get some time before M42 goes away for the year I'll try it again with it.