Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 399 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2013, 04:57 AM   #316
Pentaxian

I finally found it. Boring picture but it's something.

Attached Images

03-18-2013, 01:55 AM   #317
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Really newby question here but.. what kind of adaptor do i need in order to use my telescope ( use 1.24" eyepieces ) with my K5ii ?? besides the tring adaptor do i need something else??
03-18-2013, 02:40 AM   #318
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
what kind of adaptor do i need in order to use my telescope ( use 1.24" eyepieces ) with my K5ii ??
It depends/may depend upon the details of your telescope draw tube, and then upon what you want to photograph with your telescope. For wide field, prime focus photography you will normally need an 1.25" nose-piece with T2 threads (left in image below) and a T2 ring for Pentax K-mounts (right in image below):

If you want more "power" for lunar, solar and planetary detail, you may want to try eyepiece adapters for eyepiece projection and possibly also some extension tubes to achieve greater magnification.
03-18-2013, 02:49 AM   #319

@mattb123
I like your images a lot! Especially the last one is just ... amazing.

Another attempt to hunt for the comet last friday ...
Somewhat better conditions but still a lot of air pollution as usual in urban germany.

Camera: Pentax K-5 IIs
Lens: Pentax SMC-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited
Exposure: 15 seconds at f/4, ISO 200
Tracking: iOptron SkyTracker

03-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #320
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ewelot Quote
@mattb123
I like your images a lot! Especially the last one is just ... amazing.

Another attempt to hunt for the comet last friday ...
Somewhat better conditions but still a lot of air pollution as usual in urban germany.

Camera: Pentax K-5 IIs
Lens: Pentax SMC-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited
Exposure: 15 seconds at f/4, ISO 200
Tracking: iOptron SkyTracker

Thanks! Nice catch there yourself!
03-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #321
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
It depends/may depend upon the details of your telescope draw tube, and then upon what you want to photograph with your telescope. For wide field, prime focus photography you will normally need an 1.25" nose-piece with T2 threads (left in image below) and a T2 ring for Pentax K-mounts (right in image below):

If you want more "power" for lunar, solar and planetary detail, you may want to try eyepiece adapters for eyepiece projection and possibly also some extension tubes to achieve greater magnification.

Stone thanks alot for the info.. well i do have a Bushnell 900mm sort of like this one

I do have some eyepieces for wide shots like 30mm and others more narrow like 6mm and 9mm ..

as i understand i order to hook up the camera to the telescope and use the eyepiece i need the Eyepiece adapter, the T2 pentax camera adapter and the telescope adapter.. correct?

thanks in advance for the help =)
03-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #322
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
as i understand i order to hook up the camera to the telescope and use the eyepiece i need the Eyepiece adapter, the T2 pentax camera adapter and the telescope adapter.. correct?
That is correct - for luanar and planetary shots. but with 900mm FL you should also try some lunar shots in prime focus, that is with T2-ring and telescope adapter (nosepiece) only. That can be quite rewarding. The image below (downsized 100% crop - 10 images stacked in Registax 5.1) was taken the other day with a simple (achromatic doublet) 900mm f/10 refractor.

If your images show what you have, you might want to consider an upgrade to an equatorial mount at some point in time. There are unfortunately limits to what you can capture with a slower (F/10?) telescope on an altazimuth mount.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #323

Here is my photo of comet PanSTARRS. Zenitsuboyama, Yamaguchi Japan.

03-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #324
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Argh. Is that smog on the horizon? I was disappointed at the poor visibility of Mt Fuji from Tokyo when I was there in 1983. I suppose you have to go north in Japan to get away from air pollution.

Jack
03-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #325

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Argh. Is that smog on the horizon? I was disappointed at the poor visibility of Mt Fuji from Tokyo when I was there in 1983. I suppose you have to go north in Japan to get away from air pollution.

Jack
Yeah, nothing but smog here. I can get above it for things high in the sky but anything near the horizon is usually a waste of time. The mountain I usually go on is 540m so it's a better view than sea level.
03-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #326

I have a question regarding live view: can you see dim stars on the screen? I wonder if you could make manual focus using live view and dim stars.
Thanks.
03-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #327
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by valy Quote
I have a question regarding live view: can you see dim stars on the screen? I wonder if you could make manual focus using live view and dim stars.
Thanks.
That depends very much upon a) your optics and b) how dim?

a) stars are point-like sources of light and for such it is the absolute diameter (entrance pupil) of your lens/scope - not the f-ratio - that determines how faint stars you can capture and see.

b) I use live view very much for critical focusing, but I seek out the brighter stars and focus first. Then I move to my target. Increasing magnification in live view actually helps a lot and with a lens in the 60mm aperture range you should be able to see stars down to magnitude 4 or a bit fainter. Anyway, this is an easy experiment for you to do with your own gear.
03-24-2013, 12:54 AM   #328
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Comet Panstarrs

Had a decent opportunity to photograph the comet tonight with the IIs. The O-GPS1 punched above its weight class allowing a 30s exposure at ISO80 with the DA*300/4 wide open. I had to push it 2.76 EV to get it to this luminosity but this plays to the strength of the Sony sensor. Comet was buried in the skyglow of town but I managed to stroke it enough in pp to get it looking half decent. This is about 30% of the original frame.

03-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #329

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
Anyway, this is an easy experiment for you to do with your own gear.
I don't have, I wish a k5. Actually the question is if you set a exposure of 3sec on the live view you will see the image taken with this settings or else?
03-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #330
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Had a decent opportunity to photograph the comet tonight with the IIs. The O-GPS1 punched above its weight class allowing a 30s exposure at ISO80 with the DA*300/4 wide open. I had to push it 2.76 EV to get it to this luminosity but this plays to the strength of the Sony sensor. Comet was buried in the skyglow of town but I managed to stroke it enough in pp to get it looking half decent. This is about 30% of the original frame.

Nice shot of a not very easy subject.